XPEnology Community

VPN issues with 5.2-5644.4

esme518

It is unable to use VPN server in DSM 5.2-5644 Update 2 with 5.2-5644.4 bootloader.

It seems ok in DSM's web gui, but client is unable to connect to the server.

When I change bootloader from 5.2-5644.4 to 5.2-5644.1 without change any settings in DSM, the VPN server works properly.

Hope this issue will be solved soon.

Edited by Guest

What protocol and client did you use ?

Can't get pptp to works at all on 5592 and 5644 builds.

Tested on bare metal and vm.

Both PPTP and L2TP. If it's possible, please try to use 5.2-5644.1 bootloader to see if it works properly.

OpenVPN

I do not have OPENVPN client, so it is not tested.

If i have some free time tomorrow, i'll setup a vm with 5644.4 and a pptp vpn and test it.

Sorry but like I said before, I can't get PPTP to works with any build at all.

Even tried VM and bare metal setup.

Which version of bootloader you are using?

If i have some free time tomorrow, i'll setup a vm with 5644.4 and a pptp vpn and test it.

Even tried VM and bare metal setup.

Which version of bootloader you are using?

Tested with 5592.2, 5644.1 and 5644.4. Even with dev release I can't get PPTP to works.

• 1 month later...

Were you able to get you VPN working? Looks like i'm faced with the same issue. I even copied the exact settings from my bare metal Xpenology (5.2-5644.4) to my Synology DS1512+ and it work worked. They're both are on DSM 5.2-5644 Update 3.

I'm in the same boat 5.2-5644.4 ud3 trying to get VPN running using L2TP/IPSec and pptp. I can't even connect to the VPN on the local LAN. It's been driving me nuts. I have tried using a machine on 5592.2 no joy there either. I have used three different routers 1 Netgear with dd-WRT, 1 Asus with Shibby's Tomato and a bog standard BT HH5. Tested on N40L and a G2020T using win7, win8, android and apple clients connecting remotely and the Windows machines have been tested wireless and hard wired to router ports. The ports don't report as open and I also tried using the DMZ nothing. Tried an older version of the Syno VPN package which ended with the same results.

Hey guys!

sound strange because im running VPN without any problems at all. Im using the latest xpenology.

Im using PPTP vpn. Using it on my iphone etc.

Do you mind grepping 500, 1701, 4500?

Never mind, just noticed you're using PPTP.

aha oki =) no worries

Hey guys!

sound strange because im running VPN without any problems at all. Im using the latest xpenology.

Im using PPTP vpn. Using it on my iphone etc.

Do you mind grepping 500, 1701, 4500?

Never mind, just noticed you're using PPTP.

same issue here, unable to connect ppt, l2tp, haven't tested openvpn yet

windows 2012r2 Hyper-v + DSM 5644.4, on mac says "You were disconnected by the communication device. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings."

It is unable to use VPN server in DSM 5.2-5644 Update 2 with 5.2-5644.4 bootloader.

It seems ok in DSM's web gui, but client is unable to connect to the server.

When I change bootloader from 5.2-5644.4 to 5.2-5644.1 without change any settings in DSM, the VPN server works properly.

Hope this issue will be solved soon.

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear that there is a known issue with the VPN functionality as mentioned here > http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5026&start=1810#p55385

Support for DVB, Wifi and VPN has not been patched/fixed nor the ACL part which use closed sources.

Hopefully Trantor will give some details and maybe some idea about the expected release of a fix? :smile:

• 2 months later...

For installing or setup the Openvpn you have to do the following work.

Step 1 – Download OpenVPN

Step 2 - Download OpenVPN certificates and than Configuration files (Windows, OSX and Linux).

Step 3a – Now Make a VPN directory to keep things ordered

mkdir iVPN

cp /tmp/iVPN* ~/iVPN

Step 3b – Extract the zipped VPN files

unzip iVPN-conf-1.5.zip

ca.crt = certificate authority certificate

client1.crt = client certificate (ie your certificate)

client1.key = client key (ie your key)

Now the configuration files of .ovpn that contain the route files, IP’s of the gateways etc. They given routes such as direct to Netherlands, or Multihop, USA to UK. As the files are unzipped, you’ll see many single or multi hop routes appear. So this is the simple way to setup or installing openvpn however for further more to know about the best openvpn service. I will suggest you to check this http://goo.gl/kmWb8N