XPEnology Community

XPEnology on Windows Home Server NAS

Bernd

Hello to all!

I have a Acer Gateway GN500F1 Windows Home Server (seems to be somehow compatible to H340) and I'm trying to install Qnology or XPEnology.

I got both working with an additinal Intel network card. The only problem I have is:

- the integrated NIC is not supported... Well I can live with the gibabit dual port but this card has a really high power consumption also in standby...

- I can't get hdd hibernation working. It says "Failed to setup WOL"

- The integrated usb stick (motherboard integrated) has been overwitten on installing DSM (ok so far) and is recognized by DSM all the time...

I tried to configure HDD hibernation using hdparm without success. The drives are WD10EADS (4x).

I only need the NAS (at the moment) to stream videos to my wdtvlive and to access and backup data from laptop... So I really don't need a NAS that allways runs and I'm done running up and downstairs just to switch on the NAS :sad:

I really hope someone can help me...

Bernd

how about installing under virtualbox (or VMware player, i succeeded this morning) as it is hardware independant meaning the hardware virtualised will be the same under all OS, so it short, it will work since both work for me presently. Anyhow, i understand after seeing a picture of this nice box, the need to run as native OS, it's a nice box :grin:

Please indicate model or Vendor ID+ product ID of supported network card, would help greatly.

Also there is a couple versions and you didn't indicate which one you used. NIC seem to be from Marvell.

Documenting well allow to help further people having the same issue, and make answering easier....

Miracle! Our lord and savior Andy928 compiled the 22 january a version [XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.1 build 2668++] with Marvell network drivers compiled, and a list of all NIC compiled in the first post. Thanks Any928, good documented post, unlike.... well you see where this is going...

So your post created the 25th january have a technical answer... Brilliant!!!!

Since you couldn't find the release posted 3 days before yours with clear indication of the NIC drivers compiled, here it is: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41.

Long live Andy928! :grin:

Since i answered the most precisely possible, don't think the poster will mind, actually don't care, feel good to help and bitch. Double win !!!

Hi ZeroQI,

first of all: Thanks for your reply!

Yes! It's really a nice box :grin: but windows home server isn't my favourite OS :wink:

Yes. The NIC should be a Marvell Yukon 88E8071 if it is really the same as in the H340...

I downloaded and installed XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.1 build 2668++ but the NIC is still not available :cry: I think I'll try to find out more details. I just have hwinfo here. hwinfo also did not recognize the NIC. Any idea which tool I can use to find out the vendor and product ID?

Well... The main problem is that I can't get hdd hibernation working. It says "Failed to setup WOL"... Also using hdparm - no success... :cry:

Bernd

Hmm... After some more investigation on hhd sleep:

hdparm -S 60 /dev/sd... is accepted but the disk does not spin down.

hdparm -Y /dev/sd... is successful but the disk spins up again after a few seconds. REMARK: a fresh installation of DSM is done before. There are NO data partitions except the DSM OS...

It seems to be an issue with my WD10EADS drives. I found several threads with the same problem. They suggest to use hd-idle... Any experience on hd-idle on XPEnology?

Bernd

DS210j seem to use that network port but not an intel processor

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/networking/display/synology-ds210j-ds410j_3.html

It should be possible to compile the source code for the DS210j and cross compile it for the x86 proc platform to have the required mod file inserted on the usb key from a linux boot cd... Don't have enough level to assist further however...

ok... For the NIC I will use a intel gigabit desktop adapter with just a single port. The power consumption is much less than the dual port server adapter.

But I'm going crazy on the hibernation / standby problem with the HDDs. I just tried to use a WD20EARS. I reinstalled XPEnology on just a single drive. I can't get it to sleep. The DSM says "Failed to setup WOL" using hdparm -Y the drive just enters sleep mode for some seconds... :cry:

I'll try to test with a Samsung HDD... Maybe I'll also try to use a different NIC as mentioned above... Maybe WOL will work and the drives will suspend?!