XPEnology Community

HPN54L ESXI 6.0.0 Update 1a - Transfer Speeds drop

different drivers ;

[root@ESXI:~] esxcli software vib remove -n Hewlett-Packard:scsi-hpvsa

[NoMatchError]

No VIB matching VIB search specification 'Hewlett-Packard:scsi-hpvsa'.

I've used this command to remove scsi-hpvsa from my HP Gen8: esxcli software vib remove -n scsi-hpvsa -f

Notice that I don't have the driver prefixed with 'Hewlett-Packard:'.

Don't know if that's the reason why you get the error when trying to remove scsi-hpvsa.

Performance will degrade if you choose thin provisioning and the transfer keeps filling up available space on vmfs. The process for claiming new chunks of space is expensive. That would explain your slowing down, especially since you are on a lower spec rig (Microserver).

For increased performance, try putting your volumes on NFS, or pre-allocate the full disk size or go the RDM route as stated previously.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

after I updated my Baremetal Xpenolog from 5.2.5592 to 5.2.5644 I had the same Problem (Transfer Speeds drop). After downgrade back to 5.2.5592 everything was OK.

Maybe this info could help.

Thanks, I think I was already on 5.2.5592.

I've just upgraded it yesterday but I will see if that could be a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go into the BIOS and look at the disc caching options. HD write cache (can't remember the exact name) needs to be enabled, which it isn't by default. You're seeing the hard drive buffers filling up, and ESXi being a server level VM manager will wait until it receives the all clear that everything has been written before sending more data. Enabling the cache will make this *much* quicker. Only downside is that if there's a power cut when writing, you'll lose data. I found this issue myself, bought new network card and the like and then stumbled upon the BIOS setting and it flew afterwards!

Go into the BIOS and look at the disc caching options. HD write cache (can't remember the exact name) needs to be enabled, which it isn't by default. You're seeing the hard drive buffers filling up, and ESXi being a server level VM manager will wait until it receives the all clear that everything has been written before sending more data. Enabling the cache will make this *much* quicker. Only downside is that if there's a power cut when writing, you'll lose data. I found this issue myself, bought new network card and the like and then stumbled upon the BIOS setting and it flew afterwards!

I have enable caching in the bios, still not got stable speeds :sad:

I have seen this "XPEnoboot 5.2-5544.5 RELEASED !" posted recently, I have updated my box to DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 so do I ignore that there is a new version of XPEnoboot?

I am going to ignore the "DSM 6.0-7321 is available" but I hope this new version (when available) makes my life a lot easier.

How do I remove a RDM? I have deleted the disk from the VM and detached the disk but I can't add it back now?

Do I need to run some commands via SSH?