XPEnology Community

HP N54L not available on network after disk upgrade

Lagwagon

Dears,

Sorry for my questions, I might be a noob but I try to improve.

I have been owning a HP N54L since a lot of years. Running with Xpenology 6.2 for a while. All was going well, happy life. 

It was originally mounted with 4 HDD of 2TB. Two years ago I swapped two of them for 4TB hard drives and lived like this. 

2 weeks ago, i decided to upgrade the 2 remaining 2TB drives with 4TB drives. Powered off the NAS, swapped one of the disks and restarted. 

Since then, I can't see my NAS on my network anymore, nor in Synology assistant.

I reverted to previous disk and it is not helping. I don't even see my NAS as connected in the interface of my Netgear router.

I have attached a monitor to the NAS and it's boot sequence is going smooth, to the screen saying "please open find.synology.com to continue". 

Here is all I have tried so far

- Swapped to original disk configuration > Not ok

- Tested with no disk at all, boot is ok but can't on network.

- connecting the NAS directly to my computer NIC > Nok

- Connected all the LAN cables on all the NAS ports ( I have HP internal NIC + a 2 ports NIC card) > NOK

Any clue of what I am doing wrong ? 

Can I reinstall Baremetal with Jun's mod without any loss of data on my drives ?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Lagwagon

Edited by Lagwagon

Hi 

Check your bios setting is LAN port on enabled ?

Do you use en other nic?

Do you have the LAN on the rith port and nic?

-->When you use 1.03b loade the loader must boot in the legacy modus that you seen your NAS in the Network.

I can remmeber that i have some situtation like this and with format the usb stick and create the stick new the nas was on the network.

--> Format your usb stick and create with corrects VID / PID / MAC 7 and when you have serialnumbers

Edited by nemesis122
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lagwagon said:

Dears,

Sorry for my questions, I might be a noob but I try to improve.

I have been owning a HP N54L since a lot of years. Running with Xpenology 6.2 for a while. All was going well, happy life. 

It was originally mounted with 4 HDD of 2TB. Two years ago I swapped two of them for 4TB hard drives and lived like this. 

2 weeks ago, i decided to upgrade the 2 remaining 2TB drives with 4TB drives. Powered off the NAS, swapped one of the disks and restarted. 

Since then, I can't see my NAS on my network anymore, nor in Synology assistant.

I reverted to previous disk and it is not helping. I don't even see my NAS as connected in the interface of my Netgear router.

I have attached a monitor to the NAS and it's boot sequence is going smooth, to the screen saying "please open find.synology.com to continue". 

Here is all I have tried so far

- Swapped to original disk configuration > Not ok

- Tested with no disk at all, boot is ok but can't on network.

- connecting the NAS directly to my computer NIC > Nok

- Connected all the LAN cables on all the NAS ports ( I have HP internal NIC + a 2 ports NIC card) > NOK

Any clue of what I am doing wrong ? 

Can I reinstall Baremetal with Jun's mod without any loss of data on my drives ?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Lagwagon

I recently had the same issue with an N34L and i found out that a dead BIOS battery caused a bios settings reset and C1E was enabled.Check if C1E is disabled. If not, disable it and try again.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lagwagon said:

Thanks for you answer both. 

I will check right away.

Can you confirm that formating my usb stick and reconfiguring it with the latest XPEnology version will do no harm to my data ? If yes I will proceed that way. It will enable me to benefit of the latest updates.

To what version ? I have my production N34L stuck at 6.1.7. I'll be waiting for beta version of RedPill

Do not introduce more changes that will make the troubleshooring more difficult. Keep the USB stick you had, till you figure out your problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pocopico said:

I recently had the same issue with an N34L and i found out that a dead BIOS battery caused a bios settings reset and C1E was enabled.Check if C1E is disabled. If not, disable it and try again.

And it worked !

As soon a C1E was disabled, network connectivity was restored. I checked my BIOS and date/time was sent on 2013. I assume my BIOS Battery is dead and must be replaced. 

Thanks a lot for your quick help !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lagwagon said:

And it worked !

As soon a C1E was disabled, network connectivity was restored. I checked my BIOS and date/time was sent on 2013. I assume my BIOS Battery is dead and must be replaced. 

Thanks a lot for your quick help !

You were lucky, it took me two days to find out :D  Replace battery (CR2032) and you'll be OK !