XPEnology Community

Any good socket 1151 motherboard compatible?

bluepr0

Hello guys,

I was thinking about building a new NAS for my home and I was wondering if any of you is using successfully any 1151 mother board (latest socket from Intel). I was thinking for example in the ASRock Z170M-Itx. How is the new Intel Z170M chipset working?

Thanks for any info!

Well, I do not use socket 1151, but for me I have had good luck with hardware that has an Intel NIC and Intel SATA controllers.

I previously used a Supermicro C2750 board, all worked well. I now use a Supermicro X10SRi-F which is socket 2011-V3. All works well on that board as well.

I think people mainly have issues with non Intel SATA controllers.

Not sure if this helps, just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...
I also do not have a 1151 socket mobo but a 1150 socket mobo: GA-H97N-WIFI (rev. 1.0). It works pretty well for the exception of the built in wifi that is not recognised by DSM yet. The dev team is working to add the drivers, hopefully soon.

Hope this helps as well.

H97N is Gigabyte right?

Can you use 16GB of ram? When i use GB with that board it refuses to boot, i don't even see the bios.

H97N is Gigabyte right?

Can you use 16GB of ram? When i use GB with that board it refuses to boot, i don't even see the bios.

There, I tried with 16GB! It works. [attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452329661.653743.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm bummer, think i'm going to contact gigabit to see if i can get a replacement board.

Thanks for testing.

H97N is Gigabyte right?

There, I tried with 16GB! It works. [attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452329661.653743.jpg[/attachment]

Hm bummer, think i'm going to contact gigabit to see if i can get a replacement board.

Thanks for testing.

Did you try removing the RAM and putting it back? For some reason I had to install it twice before the ram was detected. Also that board only accepts max 1600 MHz RAM. As a last resort you can also try updating the BIOS see if that "unlocks" any mysteries....

Thanks for testing.

Did you try removing the RAM and putting it back? For some reason I had to install it twice before the ram was detected. Also that board only accepts max 1600 MHz RAM. As a last resort you can also try updating the BIOS see if that "unlocks" any mysteries....

I tried it 3 times, however, it looks like some 'pins' where the cpu makes contact with are bend, even with my glasses on i can't see it good :/.

Can make a good picture, its just to small...

So maybe that could be the cause.

Thanks for testing.

I tried it 3 times, however, it looks like some 'pins' where the cpu makes contact with are bend, even with my glasses on i can't see it good :/.

Can make a good picture, its just to small...

So maybe that could be the cause.

'Bent pins where the cpu makes contact'... How is your machine even booting at all?

Hello guys,

I was thinking about building a new NAS for my home and I was wondering if any of you is using successfully any 1151 mother board (latest socket from Intel). I was thinking for example in the ASRock Z170M-Itx. How is the new Intel Z170M chipset working?

Thanks for any info!

Well i made a similar thred.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11012

The number 1 motherboard should be compatible.

Im about to order it for my self.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just finished building a 1151 build bare metal install.

Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI mITX Board

(Dual Intel NIC, 6 SATA ports, Intel chipset Z170)

Using a Intel Pentium G4500 Dual Core 3.5 GHz

So far I have not encountered issues but will post any I do encounter.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just finished building a 1151 build bare metal install.

Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI mITX Board

(Dual Intel NIC, 6 SATA ports, Intel chipset Z170)

Using a Intel Pentium G4500 Dual Core 3.5 GHz

So far I have not encountered issues but will post any I do encounter.

Your built in wifi and bluetooth are working?

Hi Polanskiman,

I don't think wifi/bluetooth is working, I get please insert wifi/bluetooth adapter.

Is there anything that needs to be done to detect the wifi in XPEnology?

Nope nothing you can do. Modules aren't loaded at boot. Wait for Xpenoboot to include them in a future release.