XPEnology Community

XPenology -HP MicroServer gen8 - AHCI or int Raid on B120i

erik

Short question, as lots of guys here have the HP MS gen8.

Should the disk controller B120i in the BIOS of the HP MicroServer gen8 set to AHCI or internal RAID prior to installation?

I configured AHCI and installed the bootloader on an USB-Stick (for use in internal slot).

But after full installation I checked the BIOS and it was configured back to RAID. As I am using up to now only one volume on one physical disk, it works but all partitions are contained within a raid container.

If there is a choice I would prefer plain primary EXT4 partiotions without any RAID.

Does XPEnoboot or "DSM_DS3615xs_5592.pat" changed the setting in the BIOS or did I configured something wrong?

What is the best BIOS-configuration for XPEnoboot on HP Microserver.

Thanks for any answers.

On the HP Gen8, rebooting DSM will cause the BIOS to reset to defaults. It's annoying, but you can workaround it by configuring everything correctly in the BIOS, then saving those settings as the default. Then when it resets to default, it will just reset to those settings.

AHCI is the preferred way to go, since SMART values on the drives can't be read in RAID mode. There used to be some issues with fan speeds increasing when running in AHCI, but that should be fixed if you've got the latest firmware installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Can´t confirm the BIOS resets every reboot.

Depends on the BIOS setting you use. I´ll make some screens when i´m back home.

I also boot my HP MS Gen8 every day via ACPI at 8am automatically. Shutdown at 0:30am. (Advanced Powermanager.spk)

Also my fan is running at 6% with ACPI enabled :smile:

13-01-_2016_16-29-35.png.320ba8fd651e004d924f3fe8f757e443.png

Edited by Guest

Well it means if you set the drives to AHCI they go back to the B120i and the time and date is reset and all other settings boot options etc! Annoying.

That's the thing, it's not annoying. I don't use the onboard RAID and I never have to do a thing on reboot.

That's why I thought I wasn't getting reset.

Well it means if you set the drives to AHCI they go back to the B120i and the time and date is reset and all other settings boot options etc! Annoying.

That's the thing, it's not annoying. I don't use the onboard RAID and I never have to do a thing on reboot. Everything else going back to defaults doesn't cause a problem.

That's why I thought I wasn't getting reset.

• 2 weeks later...