XPEnology Community

Xpenology on QNAP 451+

bluepr0

Hello guys...

First of all, I know... it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive QNAP box to put another OS inside of it. It's my fault for not knowing about Xpenology. I've installed it on a Virtual Machine inside my QNAP NAS and it's so much snappy and better, I absolutely love it. Also it looks nicer than the QTS (OS from QNAP).

I was wondering one thing... I'm not sure if all my hardware is compatible but I will find out by booting with Diskstation... however what I'm really worries is that I currently have a RAID 1 where all my data, backups, etc are. Is there a way to know if it will work the RAID or I will have to rebuild it?.

Thanks!

BTW, anyone knows if the software RAID that creates QNAP NAS and Xpenology are compatible? or I will have to recreate the RAID 1 I currently have on my QNAP NAS?

I'm planning on testing it today, if it works install the Xpenology system on an SSD disk I'm currently using as cache for the QNAP and then connect the the RAID1 disks I have and see if they are recognised without having to create it again. What do you think? sounds like a good plan?

I've got some news!

I tried booting from USB with Xpenoboot and it worked great. I installed the .path file without problems and used my SSD as a disk to create a volume inside Xpenology. It seemed that all was recognised well, with the exception of the fan which I guess I can control with the BIOS!. I haven't tried connecting my RAID1 disks as I was afraid to screw them