XPEnology Community

HPN54L DS3615xs 6.1 Baremeatal Jun's Mod v1.02-alpha Any Point Upgrading?

Johno

Hey Guys,

i am running HPN54L DS3615xs 6.1 Baremetal Jun's Mod v1.02-alpha and haven't touched it in years. Is there any point in upgrading anything software wise??

Also I'm running 4 x 4tb HDD RAID 5 in it, what is the maximum tb HDD that can be used with it as thinking maybe I should chuck some larger HDD's in there?

Also I get it to auto shutdown overnight and reboot in the morning. Is there any point in this or should I just leave it on 24/7??

Cheers

Johno

Edited by Johno

The only release that you could consider is 6.2.3 with DS3615xs 1.03b loader. It's not the latest DSM release. The guys are still working on something for 6.2.4 which currently is the latest of the V6 series.

Frankly I only upgraded from 6.1.7 to 6.2.3 due to lockdown boredom. I haven't noticed any amazing improvement. I would be tempted to hang on to a perfectly good system and see what happens with the new loader before making any decision.

A number of people run N54Ls here and maybe we can start a competition for the largest drive. I have 8Tbs in mine but I'm sure that someone will go larger.

The only release that you could consider is 6.2.3 with DS3615xs 1.03b loader. It's not the latest DSM release. The guys are still working on something for 6.2.4 which currently is the latest of the V6 series.
Frankly I only upgraded from 6.1.7 to 6.2.3 due to lockdown boredom. I haven't noticed any amazing improvement. I would be tempted to hang on to a perfectly good system and see what happens with the new loader before making any decision.

A number of people run N54Ls here and maybe we can start a competition for the largest drive. I have 8Tbs in mine but I'm sure that someone will go larger.

Thanks mate. I might look into getting 8tb drives then. Don’t think I’ll worry about updating any of the software side of things.

Any advice on whether I should leave it Powered on 24/7 or shut it down overnight?

3 hours ago, Johno said:

Any advice on whether I should leave it Powered on 24/7 or shut it down overnight?

Mine is set to turn off overnight. There has been discussion here and elsewhere whether that is the right thing to do or not.

And... If you haven't looked at things for a while, you need to choose the correct drive technology. The following applies to all drives.