XPEnology Community

Hyper-V installation guide?

Panja

I'm a long time user of XPEnology.

Using it on my ESXi 5.5 box without any problems. In the near future I will have a new server which will use Windows Server 2012r2 with Hyper-V.

On that server I want to use XPEnology. Does any one have a (recent) guide on installing XPEnology on Hyper-V?

I "found" a guide on XPEnology.nl (http://www.xpenology.nl/hyper-v-installatie/) but the site is down, so no guide...

Any help, tips and tricks are welcome. :grin:

Hyper-V doesn't support pass-through of hardware, so I would highly recommend to stick with ESXi and just install Windows Server in a VM.

The only alternative I know of is using RDM/VHD drives. It's possible, but SMART won't work and you'll need to rely on your hardware raid controller instead of Storage Manager.

I don't have a guide yet, but just a word of advice. :smile:

Got it from: https://web.archive.org/web/20150504223357/http://www.xpenology.nl/hyper-v-installatie/

How to setup Hyper-V

By Poechi | May 11, 201440 Comments

DISCLAIMER!

I’ll take no responsibility for any loss of data or any other problem caused by following this tutorial.

Prerequisites

Microsoft Hyper-V

ISO boot image.

DSM Software.

Synology Assistant

Make sure the boot image and DSM Software match.

For example:

Boot-image-version-DSM 5.x-4528

DSM 5.x-4528 (Main)

Attention!

When downloading DSM Software, always choose a (Main) version of DSM Software.

Available updates are installed after initial installation of (Main) version.

For available updates see the DSM Software page. In addition you’ll find instructions on how to install them on the tutorial page.

Installatie video

Installation

Start Microsoft Hyper-V.

Start wizard ‘New virtual machine‘ and click ‘Next‘.

hv-1

Give the virtual machine a name and if needed specify where the virtual machine needs to be saved. Click ‘Next‘.

hv-2

Select ‘Generation 1‘ and click ‘Next‘.

hv-3

Choose the amount of memory (min. 512MB) and click ‘Next‘.

hv-4

Select your Network Interface which is linked to your physical network card and click ‘Next‘.

hv-5

Create a virtual hard disk, specify storage location and set the size. 10GB is the minimum. If you want to make use of physical hard disks follow the tutorial, ‘Harddisk Pass-through‘. Click ‘Next‘.

hv-6

Select ‘Install operating system from cd/dvd-rom‘. Add the downloaded boot image described by prerequisites. Click ‘Next‘.

hv-7

Click ‘Finish‘.

hv-8

After your virtual machine is created go to ‘Settings‘.

Go to ‘Hard disk station‘ -> ‘Controller‘ and change ‘IDE‘ to SCSI‘ and click ‘Apply‘.

hv-9

Start the virtuele machine.

In the option menu choose option 2, ‘boot-image-DSM-version Install/Upgrade‘.

Hyper-V

After the boot process a login prompt is shown.

Hyper-V

Continue the installation of DSM Software by choosing one of the available installation tutorials under section ‘DSM Software‘. Always choose a tutorial corresponding to your boot image DSM version.

• 2 weeks later...