Sign in to follow this  
Everfrost

8TB HDD for Xpenology/Microserver G7

Right now I'm using 4 WD Red 4 TB HDD. They work great, but, unfortunately, I need more :sad:

So, after some search, I have found this:

Seagate Archive HDD V2 ST8000AS0002 8TB. That is an SMR HDD, so it's speed won't be that good. But who cares? I think it will be sufficient for movie/music storage.

So, the question is:

Will it even work with Xpenology + N54L?

P.S.: I've done some search and found nothing :sad: Well, someone have successfuly used this HDD on Synology, but N54L and xpenology... I don't know :sad:

It should work without any issues. There are folks that are using it with synology so as long as you boot of a different disk (not sure whether the bios supports 8TB) you should be just fine.

I myself am using 6TB on a G8 - I only have issues in ESXi due to the HP drivers but that's outside Synology.

OK, so, now I have bought myself a Seagate 8TB Archive drive and I can confirm, that it works just fine.

The topic can be closed.

I currently have four 8TB drives in my 8 drive array (in the process of making all eight drives 8TBs). There's no denying that the rebuilds are excruciatingly slow, but other than that, they are are fine. I have never had any desync issues.

do you use a dvd drive?

if not you could install another 4TB in the dvd bay, if you install the modded bios

or 2 in the dvd bay if you use the esata port at the back of the server

I have 6 3TB drives installed in my N54L

Sign in to follow this