My Current DIY NAS Project


Recommended Posts

Hey guys !

 

I've started a DIY NAS project a few weeks ago, and currently here are the parts I think I'll use :

 

- MB : MSI B560M-A PRO

- CPU : Intel Core i3-10105 (with built-in GPU)

- HDDs : 5 x Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb

- SSDs : 2 x Crucial P5 2502Gb M2 PCIe NVMe (for the cache) / Samsung 840 Pro 256Go 2.5" (for the OS)

- SSD CARD : ICY BOX 2 Slots M2 NVMe PCIe IB-PCI215M2-HSL

    ==> I choose to add a SSD card because those new mobos are disabling 1 or several SATA ports in case of use of the M2 NVMe slot.

 

Do you think I can hope to get XPenology 6.2.3 (I found a Tweaked loader for 6.2.3 on the forum) to be working on this stuff ? In case of a possible problem, please feel free to tell me which part can be a problem and with what I should replace it.

 

Also, is it possible for me to install DSM only on the Samsung SSD or not ??

 

Finally, can you please confirm me that I'll be able to fully and completely use CloudSync like I currently do on my original Synology NAS ??

 

Thanks a lot for all your replies !

 

LePousson

Edited by LePousson
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2021 at 10:07 AM, LePousson said:

Do you think I can hope to get XPenology 6.2.3 (I found a Tweaked loader for 6.2.3 on the forum) to be working on this stuff ? In case of a possible problem, please feel free to tell me which part can be a problem and with what I should replace it.

 

Yes, you should be able to install 6.2.3 on this hardware.  I don't know what "tweaked" loader means but the standard 1.04b loader running DS918+ 6.2.3 should work.

 

On 8/30/2021 at 10:07 AM, LePousson said:

Also, is it possible for me to install DSM only on the Samsung SSD or not ??

 

Sort of.  See this: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12391-nvme-optimization-baremetal-to-esxi-report

 

 

On 8/30/2021 at 10:07 AM, LePousson said:

Finally, can you please confirm me that I'll be able to fully and completely use CloudSync like I currently do on my original Synology NAS ??

 

CloudSync works fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.