XPEnology Community

New Hard Drive makes the PC not boot

undecided

Question

I have an XPenology 6.x on an old FoxConn D70S-P motherboard with an add-on sata controller for a total of 8 drives. When I replaced one of the older 3TB drives with a new 6TB Seagate ST6000DM003, the pc won't boot. It goes to the 1st screen which shows the add-on controller's SATA drives (4 of them) and then that's it. The fans just spin at full speed and it won't boot. If I put back the older drive, it boots fine. The seagate ST6000DM003 works fine in a usb enclosure. I tried the drive on each of the SATA cables so both on the onboard controller and on the add-on controller, made no difference.

2 answers to this question

20 hours ago, undecided said:

I have an XPenology 6.x on an old FoxConn D70S-P motherboard with an add-on sata controller for a total of 8 drives. When I replaced one of the older 3TB drives with a new 6TB Seagate ST6000DM003, the pc won't boot. It goes to the 1st screen which shows the add-on controller's SATA drives (4 of them) and then that's it. The fans just spin at full speed and it won't boot. If I put back the older drive, it boots fine. The seagate ST6000DM003 works fine in a usb enclosure. I tried the drive on each of the SATA cables so both on the onboard controller and on the add-on controller, made no difference.

This website seems to suggest the 6tb drives are not compatible with the d70 :( http://findhard.ru/en/checkcompatibility/part?partType=Drives&id=17597&model=seagate-6-tb-st6000nm0034

On 8/12/2021 at 4:08 PM, sbv3000 said:

This website seems to suggest the 6tb drives are not compatible with the d70 :( http://findhard.ru/en/checkcompatibility/part?partType=Drives&id=17597&model=seagate-6-tb-st6000nm0034

Thx, do you know what's weird? I have another ST6000DM003 in the same box and it works fine.....So, I put the problematic ST6000DM003 in another PC and it works fine there. This is the most bizarro thing I've seen.