XPEnology Community

Asrock X79Extreme11 Xeon E5-2670

sojab0on

Is it posible to run xpenology bare metal on the following system 

Motherboard : Asrock X79 Extreme 11 
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel® X79, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 and Intel® Rapid Storage 3.0), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 8 x SAS2/SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by LSI SAS2308 PCIe 3.0 controller, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 1E and RAID 10), NCQ and Hot Plug functions
- PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- Broadcom BCM57781
- Supports Wake-On-LAN
- Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az
- Supports Dual LAN with Teaming function
- Supports PXE

Drive configuration 
1SSD NVME will be used as Cache 

1 ssd as drive for Docker/VM MAnager

2 2TB drives as main storage for packages 
4 3TB drives as Bulk storage (backuped to a usb 3.0 attached 12TB drive) 

I am now running it trough a esxi hypervisor but i rum in to some bottlenecks, and want to use the VM Manager and docker stuff with the virtualization support

There are some parts in the box XPEnology does not like to support the Quadro M2000 gpu ( would be nice if it could work some day) 

Main uses are storage , Webserver and media server With HW transcoding 

ESXI host now has the following vms

XPEnology 6.2 
Windows 10 with Plex media server installed 
Ubuntu 20.04 desktop (unifi controller) 
Unbuntu 20.04 desktop (Adguard) 

Open VPN server
Webremote server (Unbutu 20.04 with couldron and guacamole) 

and a play around vm for Windows 11 and other new windows osses like server previews

I main intend is to install xpenology on it and run die Unifi controller and adguard and a reverse proxy inside a docker or VM in VM Manager

Is it posible to passtrough a GPU eventough dsm doesnt use it to a VM of Docker so plex can run with HW transcoding on 

Are those things doable or do i need to go the ESXI route 

7 hours ago, sojab0on said:

Is it posible to run xpenology bare metal on the following system 

Yes, it should work.

You need DS3617xs to use all your threads.

If you have any issues it will be with the SAS controller support, so test thoroughly. 

I am now running it trough a esxi hypervisor but i rum in to some bottlenecks, and want to use the VM Manager and docker stuff with the virtualization support

You did not mention how you have your disks configured now - are you passing through the controller, or is ESXi managing them?

ESXi is a better general-purpose hypervisor than VM Manager, and any performance bottlenecks are mitigated by giving DSM access to the disk hardware (i.e. passthrough controller or RDM). If I had your combination of VM workloads (wait, I do), I would run DSM as a VM on ESXi (oh yeah, that is what I do).

Is it posible to passtrough a GPU eventough dsm doesnt use it to a VM of Docker so plex can run with HW transcoding on 

There are some parts in the box XPEnology does not like to support the Quadro M2000 gpu ( would be nice if it could work some day)

Docker uses no hardware virtualization, it's essentially a chroot manager.  It runs the same on DSM or vanilla Linux. I have workloads on both. It should be able to access any hardware present in the native environment (DSM or Linux).

Generally, the GPU theoretically can be passed through to an virtual machine (for example one that is running Docker, subject to GPU licensing limitations).

But I have yet to see anyone build a driver for DSM that supports any nVidia GPUs.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.