XPEnology Community

[SOLVED]Recommend A 1st Build: GA-E350N or ASUS Asus C60M1-I

old

Noob here. I have a homebuilt WHS 2011, with existing mobo incompatible with XPEnology ( Gigabyte GA-D525TUD ). I want to upgrade to XPEnology compatible board. I'm thinking about the Gigabyte GA-E350N. One person said it worked fine on DSM 4.2, but I wanted to make sure before I go ahead and buy the thing on eBay for $81.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Ultra- ... 46109f8e86

Gigabyte GA-E350N specs:

Lan: Realtek 8111E

Sata: AMD A45 FCH

USB: AMD A45 FCH

I've searched the site extensively, and just want to make sure it's compatible with DMS 4.2. Does anyone know for sure?

EDIT:

And, also, if anyone has opinions about that board versus others, I'm all ears. It just has to be itx to fit in my "case."

EDIT:

I also see an ASUS that works: Asus C60M1-I, which may be available, for $80

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-C60M1-I-SATA ... -+AMD+A50M

Any opinions on which board is better? Or suggest another. Any advice very appreciated.

EDIT: I'm not actually sure the Gigabyte GA-D525TUD was incompatible - I never actually tried to install XPEnology onto it. I think I was pressed for time and didn't want to try the install unless I knew it would work.

Edited by Guest

@Schnapps

Cool, thanks! It sounds like you have the GA-E350N-USB3 version of this board. I can only find the older non USB3 version for sale. Do you know if it has the bios reset issue, (or any other issues?)

I have the non-USB3.0

I am satisfied with it, although, in the beginning i was dissapointed that i bought the non-USB3.0 version but what the hell, i'm not using USB :smile: (well just for booting the DSM)

I guess all Gigabyte MBs have this dual-bios protection.

I would say just to buy it. I would go now for a MB with dual bios, lots of sata ports (not just 4) and m-itx format (prefferably haswell) but i'm crazy. What i have is more than what i need :smile:))

I went ahead and ordered it, from Amazon. $70.00 shipped.

Yes, Gigabyte dual bios is nice. It has saved me a few times. I just have to remember to update both bioses, so I don't get weird bios resets, at least on my overclocked sandy bridge hackintosh.

Schnapps,

How are your (Network) transfer speeds?

Could you go into a little more detail about your set up please? I see you have 4 Drives but are using a raid card, are you not using the onboard sata?

Also your using a USB - GIGABIT Ethernet adapter?

I have one of these boards and DSM would be a great use for it (I bought it to build a small home server) so I would love as much information as you can give me :grin:

Thanks