XPEnology Community

New server, Hardware rec

k-otic

Hello, I'm planning on buying hardware and instaling Xpenology, but I'm a little bit off the best hardware alternatives. I would want to do some transcoding, so it would be good to have 4GB of RAM. Also planning two hdd's for now but some escalability to a later upgrade.

The main decisions:

PSU must be ATX, so planning to buy a S12II-350;

4GB of RAM;

two 2TB 3,5" Drives, thinking on going to cheaper HDD's like Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200.14 or it has to be an "WD Red" for example?

Motherboard with APU separated? (I think that maybe due to the type of equipment, CPU change won't be a valuable option, since when a normal APU outdates, probably MB will be too, don't you agree?

Case? No clue, just thinking on finding some that allows ATX PSU, has at least four 3.5" hdd bays, and dust filters on air intakes, but haven't found "the one " yet..

Thank you in advance for the advices :smile:

Thank you for your opinion, UNSC-117.

But as I stated, I want something that is modular, that I can replace/upgrade in case of need, or malfunction. Synology NAS doesn't allow this flexibility, at least talking on low budget.

Nevertheless, another problem on buyng used synology's over ebay is customs, if it is outside Europe, I also pay customs...

So I'll stick with the custom build, and hope you understand :smile: