XPEnology Community

Upgrading and changing to different PC, advice?

blueman

Hi All,

I have been happily running XPEnology as a server for a few months now. I am currently running DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2. The model is shown as DS3615xs. I am running XPEnoboot from a USB stick.

I would like to setup my old HP N36L microserver as my new XPEnology box and transfer my data/drives across to it.

Can anyone please advise me the step-by-step directions to install the latest compatible version on my Microserver and moving the drives across/configuring the NAS without losing any of my data or settings.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my lack of knowledge! This is a wonderful project, thanks to everyone involved with it!

I have not used a HP microserver, but I would do the following, if changing hardware

Create a new USB XPE boot drive with latest XPE.

Use a 'spare' SATA disk (if you have one) and setup the HP with XPE/DSM, and check through all the forum threads on microserver setup to get it to work as you want eg checking bios settings, bios version etc etc

Soak test it for a few days and test DSM features you need and apps

once you are happy its 'stable'

backup all your data on existing server

moves the drives across to the microserver

boot with latest XPE - install option

use the migration process via DS Assistant/web page

I have not used a HP microserver, but I would do the following, if changing hardware

Create a new USB XPE boot drive with latest XPE.

Use a 'spare' SATA disk (if you have one) and setup the HP with XPE/DSM, and check through all the forum threads on microserver setup to get it to work as you want eg checking bios settings, bios version etc etc

Soak test it for a few days and test DSM features you need and apps

once you are happy its 'stable'

backup all your data on existing server

moves the drives across to the microserver

boot with latest XPE - install option

use the migration process via DS Assistant/web page

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try and see how it goes. Just to summarise and make sure I'm doing it correctly:

1) create new usb and setup as new install on spare hdd and test for a few days

2) remove spare hdd and install all existing hard drives from server

3) boot from usb and choose install option

4) login through Web interface on another pc using hp ip and run migration assistant

The only part I'm not sure about is 'installing' on my existing drives without losing any data. Is it not possible to move everything across and try an upgrade from the usb instead of install?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 thats right - but dont forget to **backup your data as well**

The 'installation' option is for XPE and is usually the way to upgrade boot loaders to match to the latest DSM version.

When you boot to XPE install mode and run assistant, you should see a 'Diskstation' and status 'migratable' and when you open the web assistant 'migratable and the choice to manually install the matching DSM.

I've done this a few times between hardware and it works ok

• 9 months later...
Did you successfully migrate your disks to another xpenology PC? Did you follow those 4 points?

Turned out there was an issue with my microserver so at this point I haven't changed anything, I was thinking of building a specific small factor machine for xpe down the track.