XPEnology Community

installing xpenology on Dell PowerEdge server

computech1228

Hey All,

I wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone has or knows how to install the lastest version of Synology and bootloader on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Gen3 server, I have tried installing as I have on my other xpenology boxes, but it seems that with the PowerEdge server its not recognizing the NIC's. Additionally I have a Dell PowerVault MD1000 connected to this server and would also like to utilize that hardware as well. I am hoping that someone out there can help. I'd hate to look for another solution as I really like the software. Thanks in advance!

I think it is because the Dells use Broadcom NICs and the current bootloader has the firmware in the wrong folder for them, if you look at the release sticky you can see that it is something the devs want to fix. Perhaps try the previous release bootloader as that will also have iSCSI which is probably quite a useful thing if you're using it for hypervisors.

I found that if I use the 5.1 boot images I can get the system to boot and install properly.....however I found an additional issue.

When I try to make the changes to the synoconfig file to increase the number of drives to 24 or more, I can get the system to recognize all the drive. I can create volumes or disk groups no problem. The issue is when I completely loss power to the server and disk array. Basically unplugging the power from the wall to simulate a power outage. I find that when I bring the system back up, synology assistant says that the server is "migrateable" and i have to reinstall DSM. I've tried different 5.1 boot images and update levels (none in the 5.2 version work with the NIC's). I've creating volumes and disk groups that are in the disk array and then others that are internal to the server.

I can't seem to get the server and disk array to survive a simulated power outage and boot the system without having the volumes show as degraded and crashed.

I have 4 volumes setup so on power up after this happens 2 volumes have issues and then reinstalling becomes a nightmare as it seems to loop after you reinstall (syno assistant keeps saying its migratable).

Anyone have any ideas or am I doomed with this hardware on Xpenology and would I be better off looking elsewhere?

I found that if I use the 5.1 boot images I can get the system to boot and install properly.....however I found an additional issue.

When I try to make the changes to the synoconfig file to increase the number of drives to 24 or more, I can get the system to recognize all the drive. I can create volumes or disk groups no problem. The issue is when I completely loss power to the server and disk array. Basically unplugging the power from the wall to simulate a power outage. I find that when I bring the system back up, synology assistant says that the server is "migrateable" and i have to reinstall DSM. I've tried different 5.1 boot images and update levels (none in the 5.2 version work with the NIC's). I've creating volumes and disk groups that are in the disk array and then others that are internal to the server.

I can't seem to get the server and disk array to survive a simulated power outage and boot the system without having the volumes show as degraded and crashed.

I have 4 volumes setup so on power up after this happens 2 volumes have issues and then reinstalling becomes a nightmare as it seems to loop after you reinstall (syno assistant keeps saying its migratable).

Anyone have any ideas or am I doomed with this hardware on Xpenology and would I be better off looking elsewhere?

I used the 5.1-5022 image as well but couldnt figure out the pat image, the synology assistant says its corrupt when I download them

hi to all

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 gen II and i have tha same problem with the NIC's, i try to install all differend images, in the 5.2 version NIC's don't work!Only in the 5.1-5055.1 works fine and works the WOL without change the serial number or to add the script.My only issue in this version is the system / hdd hibernation which i can't to make it work. if someone has success with this problem please tell me!

hi to all

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 gen II and i have tha same problem with the NIC's, i try to install all differend images, in the 5.2 version NIC's don't work!Only in the 5.1-5055.1 works fine and works the WOL without change the serial number or to add the script.My only issue in this version is the system / hdd hibernation which i can't to make it work. if someone has success with this problem please tell me!

I was on TomsHardware forums yesterday and they asked me to get a $10 Linux Compatible NIC card. I'm picking it up today soon from Newegg($12 total). I'll post back soon if it fixes the issue, but if it does and you have the ability to get one and you can instal it I would suggest getting it if you don't want to wait for the 5644.2 update.

I figure out the bnx2 driver issues with DSM 5.2

bnx2 version=2.1.11 DSM 5.1

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-09ax-6.0.17.fw

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-09-6.0.17.fw

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-06-6.0.15.fw

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-6.2.1.fw

bnx2 version=2.2.3 DSM 5.2

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-09ax-6.0.17.fw

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-09-6.0.17.fw

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-rv2p-06-6.0.15.fw

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw

firmware=bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-6.2.3.fw

The updated bnx2 version in DSM 5.2 is looking for different firmware than the one present in DSM 5.1.

So in order to fix 5709c (bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw) and 5708 (bnx2-mips-06-6.2.3.fw) issues dev team will add missing firmware (in the GOOD folder this time) to the next release.

So adding a TP-LINK TG-3468 NIC card to my R610 from newegg, the Synology assistant was finally able to see the server. I installed the 5592 IMG and PAT and everything is working fine for me.

thanks for information, i will buy one today! can you see if the system / hdd hibernation works with this vesrion (5592) fine?

• 2 months later...

I'm going to drag this one up....

Do your poweredge machines have SATA connectivity to the HDD bays or are you using a SAS 6/IR/other LSI flashed to IT for passthrough? IF using the SAS6/IR (or other) how is the storage manager enumerating the drive bays related to physical bays? Does Drive Bay 0 = Storage Manager bay 1 etc? Basically, LSI do something dumb with their cards which forced DSM to enumerate them wrongly, even if the LSI boot screen shows them attached in the right place and I'm trying to establish with a proper SES2/SAS2 chassis (Dell R510 etc.) would actually fix my problem or not.

Thanks,

Chris

• 4 months later...

Either use the pci-passthrough and pass the whole controller or go in to the advanced setting and set the options for RDM (RdmFilter.HbaIsShared) and set it to true, then any HDDs on the controller can be created as RDM and passthrough without losing the entire controller to the VM.