RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion


Recommended Posts

Thanks @ThorGroup for RedPill, and @haydibe for simple way to create image for bootloader with Docker.

 

A little instruction how to use last version toolchain in macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 :

 

1. Install Xcode, Xcode command line tools, and Docker on Mac. Run Docker. Download last version toolchain, moved to Desktop and unzip.

 

2.  Install HomeBrew in Terminal

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

 

3. Instal jq and coreutils in Terminal

brew install jq
brew install coreutils

 

4. 

cd ~/Desktop/redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.6
sudo chmod 777 redpill_tool_chain.sh

 

5. In Finder rewrite  config in bromolow_user_config.json or apollolake_user_config.json for your setup.

 

6. After choosing config use the commands for:

  • build toolchain image
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-6.2.4-25556
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0-41222
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-6.2.4-25556
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-7.0-41890
  • create redpill bootloader image
./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto bromolow-6.2.4-25556
./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto bromolow-7.0-41222
./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-6.2.4-25556
./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-7.0-41890

 

771819093_2021-08-2920_45_19.thumb.png.44833890df6a7759a4ac333db6e173d5.png

Edited by Amoureux
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some issue in migrating.

I do have some images with facial recognition when old version in Jun's loader still works. But now it is must not work with DSM7 (I uses AMD cpu) and no GPU at all.

 

Now the synology photos keep telling me that its trying to migrate from old photos and moments app, and keep waiting the 30000+ photos to complete.

Any suggestions for me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, coint_cho said:

Oh I've rechecked my config and somehow it automatically reverted back to e1000 for some reason.. changed it to e1000e and I'm getting an IP and currently have installed DiskStation on it, but right now another road block unfortunately. 

 

image.thumb.png.c67a17f47407c05473d5e2f7a2378a40.png

I've seen other people with the same issues here so.. it's a 128GB SATA disk mounted in VMWare. 

 

I have the same issue. Any idea that how can fix it? I test it with VMWare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, titoum said:

those that took the steps to move to dsm 7.0.

no issues with plex or hyperbackup ?

what kind of error did you encountered? I did not use plex as I have no GPU.

But hyperbackup seems fine with google.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2021 at 6:21 PM, jumkey said:

use real sn and mac with GPU Passthrough Facial Detection can be work


root@DSM:~# ls /dev/dri/
card0  renderD128
root@DSM:~# 

 

20210828181314.thumb.png.89714b93b12ad08f6e09bd2d899baa3f.png

 

Thanks. I have tried real SN/MAC and GPU passthrough in Unraid and it worked sometimes. But sometimes it will crash the DSM7.  If I disable the GPU passthrough and every thing is fine, no crash anymore.  Any clue to passthrough the GPU?

 

Also the position(位置) seems not work at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phytan said:

 

Thanks. I have tried real SN/MAC and GPU passthrough in Unraid and it worked sometimes. But sometimes it will crash the DSM7.  If I disable the GPU passthrough and every thing is fine, no crash anymore.  Any clue to passthrough the GPU?


don’t think you need gpu pass through for face detection . I’m trying  ds3615xs in esxi (because 918 doesn’t support sata dom ) and face detection works 

3615 doesn’t support hw transcoding and I don’t pass through igpu 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, phytan said:

 

Thanks. I have tried real SN/MAC and GPU passthrough in Unraid and it worked sometimes. But sometimes it will crash the DSM7.  If I disable the GPU passthrough and every thing is fine, no crash anymore.  Any clue to passthrough the GPU?

 

Also the position(位置) seems not work at all.

map should be prurely software based.  But it will take sometimes to scan the photo tags

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mcdull said:

what kind of error did you encountered? I did not use plex as I have no GPU.

But hyperbackup seems fine with google.

 

i was just asking if people faced some errors :-)
i dont use transcoding with plex as the nvidia shield is powerfull enough to handle it.

 

so main concern is to still be able to use plex and hyperbackup for the cold backup once a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Amoureux said:

Hi all!

 

Today I try new loader. Thanks developers for this possibility. DSM was loaded without problem, but mac address does not match configuration: 


{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "vid": "0x1234",
    "pid": "0x5678",
    "sn": "1xxxxxxxxxxx9",
    "mac1": "0xxxxxxxxx98",
    "mac1": "0xxxxxxxxx99",
    "netif_num": "2"
  },
  "synoinfo": {},
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

 

1589339539_2021-08-2909_46_36.thumb.png.e92e507276b0f9d9dde16a1b37272e22.png

 

1278893895_2021-08-2909_47_07.thumb.png.42318d4125502a66279458d4e6c15c34.png

 

2003136829_2021-08-2909_53_49.thumb.png.76a679b3e0c110d40a657a7c1342bbb0.png

 

1569420063_2021-08-2909_53_58.thumb.png.d3f34888f1a7d0ad6f4e2923515016c5.png

 

 

 

For building RedPill I used toolchain v0.5.4 by @haydibe

 

you are defined two times mac1.  Try with mac1=xxxxxx and mac2=xxxx

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Amoureux said:

Thanks @ThorGroup for RedPill, and @haydibe for simple way to create image for bootloader with Docker.

 

A little instruction how to use last version toolchain in macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 :

 

1. Install Xcode, Xcode command line tools, and Docker on Mac. Run Docker. Download last version toolchain, moved to Desktop and unzip.

 

2.  Install HomeBrew in Terminal


/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

 

3. Instal jq and coreutils in Terminal


brew install jq
brew install coreutils

 

4. 


cd ~/Desktop/redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.6
sudo chmod 777 redpill_tool_chain.sh

 

5. In Finder rewrite  config in bromolow_user_config.json or apollolake_user_config.json for your setup.

 

6. After choosing config use the commands for:

  • build toolchain image

./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-6.2.4-25556
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0-41222
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-6.2.4-25556
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-7.0-41890
  • create redpill bootloader image

./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto bromolow-6.2.4-25556
./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto bromolow-7.0-41222
./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-6.2.4-25556
./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-7.0-41890

 

771819093_2021-08-2920_45_19.thumb.png.44833890df6a7759a4ac333db6e173d5.png

 

Mais-MacBook-Pro:redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.6 kevin$ ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-7.0-41890
Downloading Kernel
######################################################################### 100.0%######################################################################### 100.0%######################################################################### 100.0%
Downloading Toolkit Dev
######################################################################### 100.0%######################################################################### 100.0%######################################################################### 100.0%
./redpill_tool_chain.sh: line 16: docker: command not found

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hoangminh88 said:

 



Mais-MacBook-Pro:redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.6 kevin$ ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-7.0-41890
Downloading Kernel
######################################################################### 100.0%######################################################################### 100.0%######################################################################### 100.0%
Downloading Toolkit Dev
######################################################################### 100.0%######################################################################### 100.0%######################################################################### 100.0%
./redpill_tool_chain.sh: line 16: docker: command not found

 

Make sure you have docker installed and run the command with sudo... e.g. sudo ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-7.0-41890

Edited by gadreel
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phytan said:

If I disable the GPU passthrough and every thing is fine, no crash anymore.  Any clue to passthrough the GPU?

also have GPU passthrough problem ,same as Guest crashing host with iGPU passthrough

 

2 hours ago, scoobdriver said:

don’t think you need gpu pass through for face detection .

if you try DS918+ 7.0 you will not say that

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ThorGroup Actually I'm really not skilled with ESXi...

But I'm trying to progress with it.

 

Some things about Jun's loader vmdk compared to V2V redpill IMG converstion :

Actually, the only important thing actually is the VMDK index file... the redpill IMG file isn't modified by V2V converter. I think it only builds the right VMDK index file :

 

image.thumb.png.b09efbe1b7e2c019f4291c296c6560cf.png

 

I guess the RW number took from Jun's loader was too short and because of this I had an error message "data after end of disk"

 

Since I use the VMDK index file built by V2V converter this step now works good.

 

Regarding DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap values...

I played a bit with them.

 

As a reminder, on ESXi VM, I dedicate first SATA controller to redpill IMG disk, and add a second data controller for data disk

 

SATA 0:1 = redpill IMG boot

SATA 1:0 = virtual 16Gb data disk test

 

with recommended values given by everyone : DiskIdxMap=1000 SataPortMap=4

I can install DSM and it boots OK.

I tried to change the values to understand why with my old values it did not work 'DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1)

 

And it seems :

 - DiskIdxMap :

     - you can change first two digit to 0C instead of 10 if you like.

     - 2nd two digits must be 00 (and must be written like 0C00 or 1000)

     - If you don't put the two 2nd digits (00) when you install DSM, depending on SataPortMap value, DSM will ask to format X drives (5 if you have SataPortMap=4)

 

 - SataPortMap :

     - I did not play that much with it but if you set a value like SataPortMap=1 DSM install fails, when you set it back to SataPortMap=4 DSM install works

     (I did not try values 2 or 3)

 

If you dont set DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap values, then the disk detected is actually the redpill IMG loader, and it is destroyed when DSM tries to format the disk.

 

about mpt2sas module :

the /usr/lib/modules/mpt2sas.ko file exists natively in DSM 7.0 Bromolow

Shouldn't it be loaded with other modules inside /usr/lib/modules-load.d/ ?

 

I did not play enough with it yet but without loading it, my LSI passthrough SAS card is not detected at all

and if I manually create a .conf file to load module at boot, card is detected in DMESG.

 

I'm still missing a real SATA test drive to investiguate more if it could be detected for installation of addition...

 

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 minutes ago, Orphée said:

with recommended values given by everyone : DiskIdxMap=1000 SataPortMap=4

I can install DSM and it boots OK.

I tried to change the values to understand why with my old values it did not work 'DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1)

Why would anyone provide an incomplete SataPortMap? It restricts the first controller to 4 ports and let the first drive start at position 16, which is drive 17 (+1 because of the 0 offset) in the ui and the starts the next controller to start at 0, which is drive 1 (+1 because of the 0 offset) in the ui. This may or may not work and for my taste is too much of a gamble.  


The old value assumed that the bootdrive is exclusivly on the first SATA port and shifted it to the 12th position, which is the 13th drive in the ui (+1 because of the 0 offset).

Though as @ThorGroup pointed out at least twice, the PCI-Bus emulation will high likely result in a different order the controllers are detected, than it was with jun's bootload without the PCI-Bus emulation.

 

Overall, it is no rocket science to find the right settings for your setup. The configuration depends on the number of detected controllers in DSM and the number of drives for each controller. The only part that remains dark magic is to figure out which controller has which position in SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap.

Edited by haydibe
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, scoobdriver said:

Wish I could try it , but I'm using ESXi and there is no Sata Dom support , so It won't load . (So using 3615+ DSM 7.0 beta ) 

 

Does DS918+ 7.0 have the i915.ko ? 

Face detection, works so far on DSM 7.0 beta for me on bromolow (DS3615).

Link to post
Share on other sites

@haydibe Thanks for your answer, still I must admit it is not very easy to understand for me so still unclear...

 

In the meantime I tried to play with with mpt2sas module...

 

I took a SSD drive as a temp test drive.

 

At DSM first installation. No disk detected.

Logged in to serial as root and loaded mpt2sas module :

image.thumb.png.9c588309a42e4cea83800d5495a2e640.png

 

After module, disk is detected in console, but still not shown after a refresh in GUI. "No disk detected"

 

Then I tried to add it to an already running DSM 7 with a virtual disk :

image.png.0f163a60f22455f0ee44d3b8272a3e66.png

 

Same happens, disk not detected in GUI managment disks.

 

Edit :

Comparing with Jun's loader 6.2.3 :

image.thumb.png.ad947f2af1e44b373007973bf62c84cb.png

 

Quote

<redpill/sata_boot_shim.c:305> Probing SCSI device using sd_probe_shim
<redpill/sata_boot_shim.c:307> sd_probe_shim: new SCSI device connected - it's not a SATA disk, ignoring
<redpill/sata_boot_shim.c:321> Handing over probing from sd_probe_shim to sd_probe

 

dmesg_70_ssd_sas.txt

Edited by Orphée
Link to post
Share on other sites
@haydibe Thanks for your answer, still I must admit it is not very easy to understand for me so still unclear...
 
In the meantime I tried to play with with mpt2sas module...
 
I took a SSD drive as a temp test drive.
 
At DSM first installation. No disk detected.
Logged in to serial as root and loaded mpt2sas module :
image.thumb.png.9c588309a42e4cea83800d5495a2e640.png
 
After module, disk is detected in console, but still not shown after a refresh in GUI. "No disk detected"
 
Then I tried to add it to an already running DSM 7 with a virtual disk :
image.png.0f163a60f22455f0ee44d3b8272a3e66.png
dmesg_70_ssd_sas.txt

please play with it i tried several times but it not loaded by any means even i installed esxi on spare disk to get it working end result is same not loaded

edit :- you got loaded wow i didn’t get that far means i want to make image which preloads that so i didn’t add any drive just lsi sas card and drives not detected at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, psychoboi32 said:


please play with it i tried several times but it not loaded by any means even i installed esxi on spare disk to get it working end result is same not loaded

edit :- you got loaded wow i didn’t get that far means i want to make image which preloads that so i didn’t add any drive just lsi sas card and drives not detected at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using DSM 7 bromolow, I did not have to do anything special expect creating a .conf file to autoload the module at boot.

 

Inside : /usr/lib/modules-load.d/

create a .conf file named as you like (mine is : 70-disk-0000-mpt2sas.conf)

Only put one line in that file :

mpt2sas

 

Save file and reboot.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Some things about Jun's loader vmdk compared to V2V redpill IMG converstion :

Actually, the only important thing actually is the VMDK index file... the redpill IMG file isn't modified by V2V converter. I think it only builds the right VMDK index file :

 

I guess the RW number took from Jun's loader was too short and because of this I had an error message "data after end of disk"

 

Since I use the VMDK index file built by V2V converter this step now works good.

 

Hi, 

 

just use qemu-img on a windows/linux machine to convert the img to vmdk file like so

 

qemu-img.exe convert -f raw -O vmdk redpill-DS3615xs_7.0-41222_b1630313264.img redpill-DS3615xs_7.0-41222_b1630313264.vmdk

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pocopico said:

 

Hi, 

 

just use qemu-img on a windows/linux machine to convert the img to vmdk file like so

 

qemu-img.exe convert -f raw -O vmdk redpill-DS3615xs_7.0-41222_b1630313264.img redpill-DS3615xs_7.0-41222_b1630313264.vmdk

 

I tried under ubuntu VM but it failed for me... the converted vmdk was not working. Whereas V2V converter did the job.

Edited by Orphée
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I edited my original mpt2sas post for ThorGroup.

 

But it seems redpill loader detect the drive as SCSI and not SATA and then ignore it.

 

@pocopico Not really the same. your workaround work when disk is shown as not meeting requirements. At least it is how I understand it.

 

Here, with mpt2sas, disk is not detected at all in GUI, no disk shown in HDD section.

Edited by Orphée
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.