XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

it is already inside ds3615xs redpill image.

# ll /usr/lib/modules/mpt2sas.ko  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 432932 Nov 13  2020 /usr/lib/modules/mpt2sas.ko 

You may try yourself to :
/usr/lib/modules-load.d/ a new file named : 70-disk-0000-mpt2sas.conf
with content : mpt2sas

# ll /usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-disk-0000-mpt2sas.conf -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8 Aug 23 15:38 /usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-disk-0000-mpt2sas.conf# cat /usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-disk-0000-mpt2sas.conf  mpt2sas

yes you are right i searched it was their now i want to boot with it without adding other drives but failed added with insmod = failed, extracted mpt2sas.ko and loaded forcefully still failed [emoji21] i am out of idea now and installation give me error “probably corrupt file”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all,

so glad to see the continued work here! - longtime xpenology user on Jun's loader - Wanted to provide some feedback on some recent testing I've done. My setup has always consisted of 2 baremetal configurations. I have a qnap TS-251+ running 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 ( 3615xs on 1.03b) - and a custom build on a Z490 motherboard with  i7-10700 (DS3617xs - 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 ) I am highly considering doing a proxmox or esxi setup and running this in a virtual environment in the future, but for the time being, wanted to see how things run in a baremetal setup.

I removed current drives on the TS-251+ and replaced with some test ones - Using @haydibedocker tool, I created the redpill img and was able to successfully boot and install 3615xs-DSM 7.0-41222 - I've left this unit running for the last 2 days and it appears to be quite solid - no crashes or any visible issues thus far. I've been able to install docker, and virtual machine manager - containers and vm's run well and as expected.

I did the same thing for the custom build on the Z490 board (with the exception of installing the LSI storage controller and using my
"production" drives) installation worked without issue and the same apps work as well.

Really want to give a huge thanks to all the devs that have, and continue to make this possible @ThorGroup@haydibe @gadreel and any others I've missed!

• Like 6

On 8/21/2021 at 2:12 AM, psychoboi32 said:

sure thing i want this repo with mpt3sas branch 
https://github.com/420Xnu/redpill-load

nope it changed i was blind and changed in wrong
i changed in bromolow and building for apollolake lulz

{
            "id": "bromolow-7.0-41222",
            "platform_version": "bromolow-7.0-41222",
            "docker_base_image": "debian:8-slim",
            "compile_with": "toolkit_dev",
            "download_urls": {
                "kernel": "https://phoenixnap.dl.sourceforge.net/project/dsgpl/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.brom>
                "toolkit_dev": "https://phoenixnap.dl.sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DS>
            },
            "redpill_lkm": {
                "source_url": "https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm.git",
                "branch": "master"
            },
            "redpill_load": {
                "source_url": "https://github.com/420Xnu/redpill-load.git",
                "branch": "mpt3sas"
            }

yeah this time changed every link in global-config now it is working sorry for pinging you

I want mpt3sas driver too. But I can't find the branch "mpt3sas" at 420Xnu/redpill-load. 

Is this git repo right?

Hello all,

I'm not a developper so i won't be able to build something but i have a baremetal HP Microserv GEN8 and i can make some tests on it if someone give me a boot image.

Actually on Jun 1.03B on DS3617XS, i got backups so i can try some builds if you are interested to validate something.

Anyway, thank you all for your hard work !!

11 hours ago, renxpe said:

Really want to give a huge thanks to all the devs that have, and continue to make this possible @ThorGroup@haydibe @gadreel and any others I've missed!

3 hours ago, seanone said:

Thank you for your hard work, @ThorGroup @haydibe and others.

Welcome guys, its a please to contribute something that makes it easier for you guys to test what @ThorGroup @jumkeyand @UnknownO created.

Without their work and the feedback from all enthusiastic testers here, that help to reflects the current state and help each other to get a better understanding, we wouldn't be where we are now.

So thanks to all of you :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Should Proxmox considered as a better alternative than ESXi in the future ? or is it just a matter of debugging time ?

it is better in every aspect imo but it is all about vmware’s virtualisation vs linux kvm it is totally upto use but yes vmware run in memory so full cpu performance whereas proxmox is debian with webui and one more thing vmware is actually emulate efi and everything where proxmox doesn’t
i like their backup think that why i stick with proxmox and vmware it is hard to disable svga so it is totally upto you imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orphée said:

Should Proxmox considered as a better alternative than ESXi in the future ? or is it just a matter of debugging time ?

its different.

If supported, Esxi is almost guaranteed to be more stable.

However, Proxmox always have better compatibility and community support.

I expect the beta or nightly build is better built on Proxmox, then port to ESXi for production use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just migrated a 3 node vSphere cluster with vCenter to Proxmox. vSphere is definitly more polished and its fixed set of operations can be used almost completly from the web ui. Proxmox looks and feels less polished, and allows to configure the main subset of features that qemu/kvm provides from the ui - everything beyond requires the user to jump to the command line.

I believe that qemu/kvm are so well hooked into the host's kernel, that the performance of vm guest's is astonishing well. Proxmox is more flexible then ESXi, especialy if you compare the "free" versions of both - with ESXi many feature (like direct-o or serial port forwarding) are not available for the free version.

In Proxmox you could leverage cephs for Hyperconverged Storage for free, which is comparable to what vSphere's vsan provides for a shi*load of money. Though both realy only make sense if the network amongst the nodes has more then 10gbps (40gpbs+ prefered) and beefy machines with fast storage.

if KVM is good enough for OpenStack to create bare meta private clouds, then it should be good enough for me to be my hypervisor.  Most public cloud providers rather base on KVMish-core for their compute instances, then on ESXi.. 

So is Proxmox the better ESXi? If you want to replace the free ESXi version -> definitly yes. If you compare the enterprise versions -> I doubt it. If you consider the value you get for your money -> it definitly is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have succesfully compiled the image using docker, unfortunately the baremetal devices I can use for testing have just Broadcom ethernet adapters. Is there an easy way to modify the script(s) to get compiled & included tg3 module driver please? Where should I start looking?

Hello all, i'm following this thread since its appareance

Built redpill.ko on a centos 7 machine with gcc 4.8.5 ... all seems ok

Built image on a centos 8 machine because on the centos 7 machine it fails with 

include/patch.sh: line 52: @@@COMMON@@@/ramdisk-001-disable-root-pwd.patch: File o directory non esistente
[!] One of the patches - @@@COMMON@@@/ramdisk-001-disable-root-pwd.patch - failed to apply

So far, so good

I'm trying to run the loader on a libvirt vm 

It always fails on starting scemd

:: Starting scemd
[   12.708612] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000000000004cf9
[   12.709011] IP: [<ffffffff8138c567>] syno_mv_9235_disk_led_set+0x27/0xc0
[   12.709011] PGD 175fbd067 PUD 175fff067 PMD 0 
[   12.709011] Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP 
[   12.709011] Modules linked in: bromolow_synobios(PO) nfsv3 nfs lockd sunrpc i40e(O) ixgbe(O) igb(O) i2c_algo_bit e1000e(O) dca vxlan ip_tunnel vfat fat sg virtio_scsi(OF) virtio_net(OF) virtio_blk(OF) virtio_pci(OF) virtio_ring(OF) virtio(OF) etxhci_hcd usb_storage xhci_hcd uhci_hcd ehci_pci ehci_hcd usbcore usb_common [last unloaded: bromolow_synobios]
[   12.709011] CPU: 1 PID: 4595 Comm: scemd Tainted: PF          O 3.10.108 #41222
[   12.709011] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS rel-1.14.0-0-g155821a-rebuilt.opensuse.org 04/01/2014

Someone could have some ideas?

Many thanks in advance

42 minutes ago, Davide said:

Hello all, i'm following this thread since its appareance

Built redpill.ko on a centos 7 machine with gcc 4.8.5 ... all seems ok

Built image on a centos 8 machine because on the centos 7 machine it fails with 

include/patch.sh: line 52: @@@COMMON@@@/ramdisk-001-disable-root-pwd.patch: File o directory non esistente
[!] One of the patches - @@@COMMON@@@/ramdisk-001-disable-root-pwd.patch - failed to apply

So far, so good

I'm trying to run the loader on a libvirt vm 

It always fails on starting scemd

:: Starting scemd
[   12.708612] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000000000004cf9
[   12.709011] IP: [<ffffffff8138c567>] syno_mv_9235_disk_led_set+0x27/0xc0
[   12.709011] PGD 175fbd067 PUD 175fff067 PMD 0 
[   12.709011] Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP 
[   12.709011] Modules linked in: bromolow_synobios(PO) nfsv3 nfs lockd sunrpc i40e(O) ixgbe(O) igb(O) i2c_algo_bit e1000e(O) dca vxlan ip_tunnel vfat fat sg virtio_scsi(OF) virtio_net(OF) virtio_blk(OF) virtio_pci(OF) virtio_ring(OF) virtio(OF) etxhci_hcd usb_storage xhci_hcd uhci_hcd ehci_pci ehci_hcd usbcore usb_common [last unloaded: bromolow_synobios]
[   12.709011] CPU: 1 PID: 4595 Comm: scemd Tainted: PF          O 3.10.108 #41222
[   12.709011] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS rel-1.14.0-0-g155821a-rebuilt.opensuse.org 04/01/2014

Someone could have some ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Since it shows that it's a bug if you do not mind post it at the RedPill github issues page. It's better there, because it's been a while since the ThorGroup logged in to reply to any post they might miss it at the end.

1 hour ago, RedwinX said:

Wich CPU ? If you used 9-10th Gen, cannot work, you have to change the i915 driver. Works fine with i5-8500t 918+ 7.0 (with native driver). 

Why change the i915 Driver? i have a i5-7260U and integrated only all the i915 firmwares. Hardware Transcoding for Videos works fine, Facial Detection dont work.

5 hours ago, loomes said:

Why change the i915 Driver? i have a i5-7260U and integrated only all the i915 firmwares. Hardware Transcoding for Videos works fine, Facial Detection dont work.

I think the face detection use HW transcoding to works. Did you used a real SN ? go to telegram, have send all screenshot. Did you activate the functionnality ? You must in order to work.

14 hours ago, RedwinX said:

Wich CPU ? If you used 9-10th Gen, cannot work, you have to change the i915 driver. Works fine with i5-8500t 918+ 7.0 (with native driver). 

I'm using J4125 CPU. But I'm using Unraid KVM virtual machine to simulate the 918+.

The Moments+ 6.2.3+Jun's loader works file in the virtual machine, but Photos + 7.0 + redpill does not work.  

I'm using real SN and quick connect has been activated.

I guess it might be similar limitation for 6.2.2 and 6.2.3 Moments. 6.2.2 works but 6.2.3 does not and need the patch.

23 minutes ago, phytan said:

I'm using J4125 CPU. But I'm using Unraid KVM virtual machine to simulate the 918+.

The Moments+ 6.2.3+Jun's loader works file in the virtual machine, but Photos + 7.0 + redpill does not work.  

I'm using real SN and quick connect has been activated.

I guess it might be similar limitation for 6.2.2 and 6.2.3 Moments. 6.2.2 works but 6.2.3 does not and need the patch.

if you need patch for 6.2.3 to work, it means it will not work in 7.0 coz there is no patch yet.  

The patch is actually just and old version of library.

4 minutes ago, mcdull said:

if you need patch for 6.2.3 to work, it means it will not work in 7.0 coz there is no patch yet.  

The patch is actually just and old version of library.

I know, so it is dead end now.

I'm curious why it works in i5-8500t but not J4125 since 920+ is using J4125...