XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

1 minute ago, haydibe said:

What does "related to the docker itself" mean?  The docker engine or the build container?  Can you try again with the official docker version: https://docs.docker.com/engine/install/ubuntu/

i just did the apt install docker.io...nothing else fancy.

may be some issue related in ubuntu 20.04 because after doing the cmd above it went smooth as the gentle breeze.

super work you have done.

5 hours ago, mcdull said:

I am a noob too, here is what I have done.

install ubuntu (I uses 18lts), and choose docker runtime during install (or can install later)

`sudo -i`

`apt update`

`apt install docker.io`

`apt install jq`

`apt install unzip`

download the zip file (I uses v0.51)

`unzip redpill*.zip`

`vi user_config.json`

- update vid/pid  in format (0x0000)

- update mac address in format 001122334455

run

`chmod +x edpill_tool_chain.sh`

`edpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0-41222`

or replace bromolow-7.0-41222 with otherr version you desired

`edpill_tool_chain.sh run bromolow-7.0-41222`

you will then be redirect into the docker

`make build_all`

`exit`

`cd images`

the img file is here

This is a great bit of work, thank you and well done !! \o/

has anybody come across this 'failed to format disk'?

image.thumb.png.a0de570ecc4006370321b39da62e3aaa.png

I feel sooo close ... built redpill on 18.4.0 using the step by step above .... running on Unraid VM with .img as SATA drive and clean raw/qcow2 drive setup sa SATA on controller 1

Cheers for any help .... Andy

9 minutes ago, mrandyburns said:

I feel sooo close ... built redpill on 18.4.0 using the step by step above .... running on Unraid VM with .img as SATA drive and clean raw/qcow2 drive setup sa SATA on controller 1

You need to check the error message under /var/log/messages

Best bet is wrong vid pid? 

10 minutes ago, mrandyburns said:

Oic. You used img as sata which will not work.

You need to emulate it as USB device with qemu pid vid specified. 

28 minutes ago, mrandyburns said:

I personally tried so many times on Unraid and it does not work... I think the reason it does not work is because of this issue here https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/10

But if you are trying to install it on DS3615xs or DS3617xs which have Kernel 3.x I think it might work fine...

This are similar settings that I also have on Jun's Loader. As you can see the Primary vDisk should be USB and the secondary a SATA. I did not test them with DS3615xs or DS3617xs but you can test it...

image.png.b1bf7ab98e1dbba0f5f80c2b07c1f6ee.png

Edited by gadreel

11 minutes ago, gadreel said:

I personally tried so many times on Unraid and it does not work... I think the reason it does not work is because of this issue here https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/10

But if you are trying to install it on DS3615xs or DS3617xs which have Kernel 3.x I think it might work fine...

This are similar settings that I also have on Jun's Loader. As you can see the Primary vDisk should be USB and the secondary a SATA. I did not test them with DS3615xs or DS3617xs but you can test it...

Yes. Same under proxmox. Apollolake will not work. But 3615 works just fine because of the older kernel. 

10 minutes ago, gadreel said:

Thanks for your reply ... its such good fun trying to get it to work! I already have a DS3615xs running with Jun's code and its very stable BUT I have had to stay on Unraid 6.8.3 and 6.9 uses a newer kernel. This actually why I am paying with a new version ... I'll keep having a play!!

30 minutes ago, mcdull said:

Oic. You used img as sata which will not work.

You need to emulate it as USB device with qemu pid vid specified. 

Yes that's a great point ... I did run as USB first then SATA. I will try playing with the vendor ID (If I can work out how), for the build I set to the default "vid": "0x46f4" and  "pid": "0x0001" ... I will keep on playing

• Like 1

9 hours ago, haydibe said:

I incorparated the latest changes in the redpill universe into the toolchain builder:

For 6.2.4 builds: the kernel sources are configured to be used by default.

For 7.0 builds: the Toolkit Dev sources are configured to be used by default.

# Inofficial redpill tool chain image builder

- Creates a OCI Container (~= Docker) image based toolchain

- Takes care of downloading (and caching) the required sources to compile redpill.ko and the required os packages that the build process depends on.

- Caches .pat downloads inside the container on the host.

## Changes

- Migrated from Make to Bash (requires `jq`, instead of `make` now )

- Removed Synology Toolchain, the tool chain now consists  of debian packages

- Configuration is now done in the JSON file `global_config.json`

- The configuration allows to specify own configurations -> just copy a block underneath the `building_configs` block and make sure it has a unique value for the id attribute. The id is used what actualy is used to determine the <platform_version>.

## Usage

1. Create `user_config.json` according https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-load

2. Build the image for the platform and version you want:

`redpill_tool_chain.sh build <platform_version>`

3. Run the image for the platform and version you want:

`redpill_tool_chain.sh run <platform_version>`

4. Inside the container, run `make build_all` to build the loader for the platform_version

Note: run `redpill_tool_chain.sh build` to get the list of supported <platform_version>

After step 4. the redpill load image should be build and can be found in the host folder "images".

Feel free to customize the heck out of every part of the toolchain builder and post it here. If things can be done better, feel free to make them better and share the result with us.

redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.5.1.zip 5.61 kB · 39 downloads

Do you have any plans to upload this to github?  It'd be nice to track changes, compile issues, and eventually merge back to a official redpill repo.

Since I have no idea how to anonymize the commits, like ThorGroup does on their commit, I'd rather not leave my marks on Github..  Though, feel free to do so. My contribution is as open source as it can get: feel free to do whatever you like with it :)  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

How do you configure the disks connectors in virtualbox? The loader as SATA but what do you choose für the data disk?

It will not work with SATA nor IDE for the time being. Until TTG has the SATA Dom implemented. Only USB might work if you can attach a physical USB to the virtual box VM and boot from it. 

2 minutes ago, pocopico said:

It will not work with SATA nor IDE for the time being. Until TTG has the SATA Dom implemented. Only USB might work if you can attach a physical USB to the virtual box VM and boot from it. 

with virtualbox it is not possible to boot from usb or I am missing something?

22 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

with virtualbox it is not possible to boot from usb or I am missing something?

You want something like:

# VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -rawdisk /dev/sde -filename /media/bdrive/VirtualBox_VMs/USB-Boot-Disk.vmdk

# USB is on /dev/sde

I'll let you Google for details...

5 minutes ago, billat29 said:

You want something like:

# VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -rawdisk /dev/sde -filename /media/bdrive/VirtualBox_VMs/USB-Boot-Disk.vmdk

# USB is on /dev/sde

I'll let you Google for details...

To create a virtual disk is not the problem. But it is not able to boot an image via the USB controller.

6 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

To create a virtual disk is not the problem. But it is not able to boot an image via the USB controller.

Ah! Misunderstood your problem. Thought you meant you didn't know how to boot a virtual machine from USB, Sorry about that.

Edited by billat29

2 minutes ago, haydibe said:

Yep, hours of trial and error saves you from reading previous forum posts ^^

It's alway nice to get a recap of already established experience from people that tl;dr the previous posts :)

Mods, perhaps a sticky on top of this thread reiterating it's for dev use only right now and VMware products are not bootable yet with redpill?

• Like 1