RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion


Recommended Posts

Il y a 2 heures, Aigor a dit :

Hi Folks, maybe i miss somenthing.
I have a Gen8 with xpenology 6.2.3 installed up and running with data, config and services, if i would update to DSM7, do i had to reconfigure all the things? 
Thanks 

 

 

Hi, no you will have the ability to migrate your NAS to DSM7 without a problem as i did

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
il y a 53 minutes, Aigor a dit :

Thanks for the info, did you already update to DSM7 on gen8 natively?  

Yes i did. I was before on Jun's but i had to make a clean install (without losing data, just system) and updated to 6.2.4-25556 and after DSM7-42218 successfully

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buny74 said:

Yes i did. I was before on Jun's but i had to make a clean install (without losing data, just system) and updated to 6.2.4-25556 and after DSM7-42218 successfully

 

So you suggest  follow synology releases first 6.2.4-2555 and after DSM7-42218 ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
il y a 31 minutes, Aigor a dit :

So you suggest  follow synology releases first 6.2.4-2555 and after DSM7-42218 ? 

Yes, try first to update to 25556 to see if it stable on your device and after attempt to update to 42218.

 

You have to build repdill loader for bromolow for the version you want 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Buny74 said:

Yes, try first to update to 25556 to see if it stable on your device and after attempt to update to 42218.

 

You have to build repdill loader for bromolow for the version you want 

Thanks, but at this moment i have boot problem , neither usb stick or microsd with dsm7 are able to boot, i used redpill helper to build image and win32diskimage to write it down into usb, are there somenthing that i lost? 

P.S. i'm testing my rig with blank disk to see if there are some problems 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Il y a 1 heure, Aigor a dit :

Thanks, but at this moment i have boot problem , neither usb stick or microsd with dsm7 are able to boot, i used redpill helper to build image and win32diskimage to write it down into usb, are there somenthing that i lost? 

P.S. i'm testing my rig with blank disk to see if there are some problems 

You have to make the first partition active otherwise it will not boot

 

I use diskpart to do this

 

Commands to make partition active

 

List disk 

Sel disk number

List partition

Sel partition 1 (it should be the first one of 48 MB) 

Active

Exit

 

 

And after you should be able to boot on the usb key

 

Edited by Buny74
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 часа назад, Buny74 сказал:

You have to make the first partition active otherwise it will not boot

I have the same problem. The image which I made by using redpill-helper-v0.12 doesn't boot even if I made the first partition as active. I tried to use several usb sticks. Off course I recreated a new image for every usb sticks with correct vid-pid. But boot is not successfull yet... What else can be a problem?

15 часов назад, Aigor сказал:

but at this moment i have boot problem , neither usb stick or microsd with dsm7 are able to boot

 

Were you able to boot finally?

Edited by navhawk
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, navhawk said:

I have the same problem. The image which I made by using redpill-helper-v0.12 doesn't boot even if I made the first partition as active. I tried to use several usb sticks. Off course I recreated a new image for every usb sticks with correct vid-pid. But boot is not successfull yet... What else can be a problem?

 

Were you able to boot finally?

I'm trying, i had to change VID and PID due i'm using internal microsd card reader 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, navhawk said:

I have the same problem. The image which I made by using redpill-helper-v0.12 doesn't boot even if I made the first partition as active. I tried to use several usb sticks. Off course I recreated a new image for every usb sticks with correct vid-pid. But boot is not successfull yet... What else can be a problem?

 

Were you able to boot finally?

Yes, with usb stick it works flawless it recognize my 10 Gbit dual port card 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI it seems that you can use fibre channel adapter to act as SAN, i have one qlogic 8 gbit FC card, but it seems that is not recognized by DSM.
I decide to make an experiment.
Browse pocopico github , saw a qlnic compiled driver, download, uplod into gen8, insmod driver, nothing happens, run lun creation end with kernel dump and freeze of synobox 
One question, the extension feature is only for installation or add modules also after installation? 

Many thanks 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Aigor said:

FYI it seems that you can use fibre channel adapter to act as SAN, i have one qlogic 8 gbit FC card, but it seems that is not recognized by DSM.
I decide to make an experiment.
Browse pocopico github , saw a qlnic compiled driver, download, uplod into gen8, insmod driver, nothing happens, run lun creation end with kernel dump and freeze of synobox 
One question, the extension feature is only for installation or add modules also after installation? 

Many thanks 

 


I also have a qlogic HBA, I’ll give it a try and let you know. 
 

Basically, both loading the modules manually or as an extension should have the same effect in terms of functionality. If you need the extensions for installation then it makes sense to have it as an extension otherwise it’s fine to load them later. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently I build my loader with RedPill-helper v0.12 add VMxnet3 and acpid,  running at ESXI v7 platform physical SATA controller passthrough, booting with vdisk (IDE mode no V-SATA controller added) , install DSM pat file shows file corrupted, talent use fdisk command no boot related partitions found, define disk & port map NOT working just no disk drive warning. 

Then I try edit VM settings add a SATA controller(startup disk SATA mode, one v-SATA one on board SATA controller passthrough), all good. But at diskstation‘s storage manager physical slots all in unplug status disk number goes to over 30, although it works fine.

There is my question how can i work without virtual SATA controller, startup disk use IDE mode?

My build has one on board SATA controller 3 ports, 2 individual, 4 in 1 miniSAS port(SATA channel).

BTW RedPill-helper v0.12 after add exts use build-loader script there is no kernel module .ko file in default location needs to add manually then the script can copy as rp.ko

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 2.20.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 2.21.29 PM.png

Edited by root616
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, root616 said:

Recently I build my loader with RedPill-helper v0.12 add VMxnet3 and acpid,  running at ESXI v7 platform physical SATA controller passthrough, booting with vdisk (IDE mode no V-SATA controller added) , install DSM pat file shows file corrupted, talent use fdisk command no boot related partitions found, define disk & port map NOT working just no disk drive warning. 

Then I try edit VM settings add a SATA controller(startup disk SATA mode, one v-SATA one on board SATA controller passthrough), all good. But at diskstation‘s storage manager physical slots all in unplug status disk number goes to over 30, although it works fine.

There is my question how can i work without virtual SATA controller, startup disk use IDE mode?

My build has one on board SATA controller 3 ports, 2 individual, 4 in 1 miniSAS port(SATA channel).

BTW RedPill-helper v0.12 after add exts use build-loader script there is no kernel module .ko file in default location needs to add manually then the script can copy as rp.ko

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 2.20.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 2.21.29 PM.png

Try  "SataPortMap": "1",
       "DiskIdxMap": "0C0001",
       "SasIdxMap": "0"

Link to post
Share on other sites

@vikikang

If I add the vmxnet3.ko kernel module, for example, it can be found under custom.gz/exts...... but it is still not loaded when starting ... have you checked this place? The default rp.ko can be found a custom/usr/lib/modules/

Edited by Brunox
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brunox said:

@vikikang

If I add the vmxnet3.ko kernel module, for example, it can be found under custom.gz/exts...... but it is still not loaded when starting ... have you checked this place? The default rp.ko can be found a custom/usr/lib/modules/

After my test, it is usually caused by too many drivers and driver conflicts. You can only load vmxnet3, and maybe you will succeed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wt19891207 said:

Help: When will the ConnectX-3 driver of dsm 918+ 7.0.1-42218 be available? My mcx312b cannot work, I found https://www.mellanox.com/products/ethernet-drivers/linux/mlnx_en
Extracting mlx4_en.ko and mlx4_core.ko using ubuntu, which has similar kernels, does not work, and the source code will not compile
Please help

is my eth error

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wt19891207 said:

Help: When will the ConnectX-3 driver of dsm 918+ 7.0.1-42218 be available? My mcx312b cannot work, I found https://www.mellanox.com/products/ethernet-drivers/linux/mlnx_en
Extracting mlx4_en.ko and mlx4_core.ko using ubuntu, which has similar kernels, does not work, and the source code will not compile
Please help

 

Well, it doesn't work like that, you cannot bring modules compiled from other source as its not that simple, or at least not anymore. If a module doesn't match vermagic it will refuse to load. If it matches the vermagic you will most likely fail to satisfy the symbols. If the module vermagic matches and symbols are satisfied and indeed loads, then if you have not compilted it from synology sources and/or using the toolchain and/or the toolkit it might cause kernel panic.

 

Nevertheless, someone has requested mlx4 extension before so you can find it in my GH repo. Modules are loaded but i have no real mlx4 hardware to test. Please report if it doesn't. 

 

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/mlx4_core/rpext-index.json

 

Edited by pocopico
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brunox said:

@vikikang

If I add the vmxnet3.ko kernel module, for example, it can be found under custom.gz/exts...... but it is still not loaded when starting ... have you checked this place? The default rp.ko can be found a custom/usr/lib/modules/

 

I have loaded all possible required vmware extensions and i have no issue. What are you trying to load ? Can you pass a list ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brunox said:

@pocopico

only vmxnet3, otherwise none, if I set vmxnet3 in ESXI 7_U2 in the network settings I don't get a network connection after start from DSM 3615

 

I see, but does the extension load ? Can you verify by adding a second card ? E.g. one e1000e and one vmxnet3 and do an lsmod and lspci -nn 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.