XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

4 hours ago, r27 said:

Finally upgraded Proxmox based 6.2 install to 7.0-41222. It took me good 3-4 hours to figure out how the new boot loader works, so hopefully information bellow will help others:

1. I am using LSI SAS 2008 flashed in IT mode to passthrough HDDs (4x4TB)

2. Also passing 82579LM ethernet card for dedicated network. 

3. Booting VM from USB (couldn't get SATA boot to work properly).

4. Used this repo to build loader with mptsas and mpt2sas drivers

5. bromolow_user_config.json

{
    "extra_cmdline": {
        "pid": "0x6387",
        "vid": "0x058f",
        "sn": "xxxxxx",
        "mac1": "xxxxxxx",
        "netif_num": 1,
        "DiskIdxMap": "0C",
        "SataPortMap": "1",
        "SasIdxMap": "0"
    },
    "synoinfo": {},
    "ramdisk_copy": {},
    "extensions": []
}

PS. I have RS18017xs+ and DS1817+ for production. This VM used for backup and test purposes. 

1.png

2.png

Thank you @r27. I had been struggling all along (several weeks, multiple failures - learnt to repair Btrfs etc along the way - not all lost) and I was able to get going with your instructions. I was able to upgrade my 6 raid 6.2 ESXI install to 7.0.1.

Everything is fine except my system is showing volume degraded because it's not detecting Drive 1 (same as your case). Regardless of what we do, looks like DiskIdxMap is not handled by the redpill loader ( @Orphée has a ticket open to that effect). For now, I will try to move my Sata cables around, so my drive 1 becomes drive 7 which I don't use :).

Thank you for your help. This is awesome.

Edited by urundai

10 hours ago, chrram said:

Hello, maybe someone can give me a template for proxmox dsm7, a finished image or can help me get the DSM7 on proxmox, also via DM, thank you

@chrram, there are reasons why nobody can share images. This is also very early development oriented project at the moment - meaning, meant for developers as you need to comfortable building and messing around with the config files etc and being able to debug any issues you will run into. 

If you are up for it, everything you need was shared just couple posted earlier by @r27 (I have quoted his post below for you). This is all that you should need and since it's meant for devs, there aren't many detailed tutorials - things are still trial and error, based on ones unique hardware setting etc.

If you aren't passing pci-e card, add a second SATA controller in the VM settings and attach your hard disks to that controller (image on controller 1 and all disks in controller 2). Due to a bug, Disk 1 is not visible within synology. So, attach your disks from 2nd position onwards on the 2nd controller. That should be it hopefully. 

On 10/30/2021 at 12:44 PM, r27 said:

Finally upgraded Proxmox based 6.2 install to 7.0-41222. It took me good 3-4 hours to figure out how the new boot loader works, so hopefully information bellow will help others:

1. I am using LSI SAS 2008 flashed in IT mode to passthrough HDDs (4x4TB)

2. Also passing 82579LM ethernet card for dedicated network. 

3. Booting VM from USB (couldn't get SATA boot to work properly).

4. Used this repo to build loader with mptsas and mpt2sas drivers

5. bromolow_user_config.json

{
    "extra_cmdline": {
        "pid": "0x6387",
        "vid": "0x058f",
        "sn": "xxxxxx",
        "mac1": "xxxxxxx",
        "netif_num": 1,
        "DiskIdxMap": "0C",
        "SataPortMap": "1",
        "SasIdxMap": "0"
    },
    "synoinfo": {},
    "ramdisk_copy": {},
    "extensions": []
}

PS. I have RS18017xs+ and DS1817+ for production. This VM used for backup and test purposes. 

1.png

2.png

Edited by urundai
  • Like 1

hi there,

NAS was working fine then i let it run during the day...

now, it doesn't work properly anymore as i have half of the icon being displayed.

interface was not reachable so i rebooted it through power button and now it started data scrubbing.

it seems that something doesn't go well (obviously)...

is there a way to refresh the dsm install ? i did an upgrade on the 7.0.1-4x to the latest version so i am wondering if something went off the road.

9 minutes ago, titoum said:

hi there,

NAS was working fine then i let it run during the day...

now, it doesn't work properly anymore as i have half of the icon being displayed.

interface was not reachable so i rebooted it through power button and now it started data scrubbing.

it seems that something doesn't go well (obviously)...

is there a way to refresh the dsm install ? i did an upgrade on the 7.0.1-4x to the latest version so i am wondering if something went off the road.

A few questions:

- please be a lot more specific than "it doesn't work properly anymore". What exactly isn't working? Are you getting any error messages? Are the errors reproducible?

- you say you upgraded: what version were you running previously and what process did you use to upgrade?

- what hardware are you running on? Please give as much detail as possible

- what version of DSM are you running? Please include version number and platform

You'll notice that a lot of forum members include the last two points in their signatures so they're always visible and it saves asking. I'd suggest you take the time to do the same to help yourself and everyone else.

FYI data scrubbing is to be expected if you didn't perform a clean shutdown. It's just DSM doing some background checking on your disks to ensure no data was lost/damaged when you power cycled the server.

Edited by WiteWulf

7 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

A few questions:

- please be a lot more specific than "it doesn't work properly anymore". What exactly isn't working? Are you getting any error messages? Are the errors reproducible?

- you say you upgraded: what version were you running previously and what process did you use to upgrade?

- what hardware are you running on? Please give as much detail as possible

- what version of DSM are you running? Please include version number and platform

my bad!

so to give full story, i wanted to fully backup my phone so i let photos runs for a few hours.

i had to pause the back up so let the NAS running and tried to resume later.

i noticed that photo was not able to backup anymore so i went to check the NAS.

the interface was not reachable...so i just rebooted it.

now it seems that the NAS is kind of internally rebooting meaning that i can putty or login but after a few minutes -> logout

trying again and again, i can access some part of it but half of info is not displaying or i cant reach....

so i dont know if photos is the culprit...i was just thinking to clean this sh*t...but as we dont have a reset buton...is there a way to do it ?

Screenshot 2021-11-01 174659.png

We've seen some instability issues with the bromolow/DS3615xs images when under load, but they usually manifest as reboots on baremetal (following a kernel panic) or lock ups on virtualised platforms. As yours doesn't appear to be rebooting I'm not convinced this is the problem.

Ideally you're going to need to get the console logs to see what's going on when/before it becomes unreachable.

It's possible to format the partition on your HDDs that contains the DSM install (while preserving your data), then reboot off the USB stick and reinstall DSM. Have a search of the forums to find details, it's not a procedure that's specific to redpill or DSM7

1 minute ago, WiteWulf said:

We've seen some instability issues with the bromolow/DS3615xs images when under load, but they usually manifest as reboots on baremetal (following a kernel panic) or lock ups on virtualised platforms. As yours doesn't appear to be rebooting I'm not convinced this is the problem.

ok so i should have kernel panic somewhere because when putting my screen on...i clearly see a reboot. imo, the only change is the usage of photo so it might be culprit with plex... if i rebuild a key with another serial shouldn't see it as a move and propose me to migrate ?

1 minute ago, titoum said:

ok so i should have kernel panic somewhere because when putting my screen on...i clearly see a reboot. imo, the only change is the usage of photo so it might be culprit with plex... if i rebuild a key with another serial shouldn't see it as a move and propose me to migrate ?

Ah, you didn't mention Plex before! That was one of the applications guaranteed to kernel panic my system. Much more information (and a possible work-around) here:

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/21

I don't know if rebuilding the key with a different serial will trigger a reinstall. Give it a try and let us know!

9 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Ah, you didn't mention Plex before! That was one of the applications guaranteed to kernel panic my system. Much more information (and a possible work-around) here:

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/21

I don't know if rebuilding the key with a different serial will trigger a reinstall. Give it a try and let us know!

ok weird enough serial change doesnt trigger anything but...i can see that photo is trying to start up and then fail.

i will try to modify the watchdog and for record, i have also pcie NIC :-)

edit

ok so it seems that my local install of dsm is corrupted someway as i can't finish it...

i tried on a spare drive and all is going fine. is there a way to delete specifically the dsm from hdd to make a real clean install ?

Edited by titoum

17 minutes ago, titoum said:

ok so i have tried to go back to previous version but without possibility to login...

so i was able to migrate to bromolow-7.0.1-42218 and then install went fine and i decided to keep nothing.

after reboot, dsm is trying to install 5 packages and always reboot at some point on the 4/5....

so it seems that something changed on the repo as i didn't got this behavior before 😕

Question, are you loading any extensions?

Since this is a rare case I suspect a drive issue. Can you run a live Linux image and run a test on the drive ? Alternative can you try installing on a different drive ?

Edited by pocopico

1 minute ago, pocopico said:

Question, are you loading any extensions?

Since this is a rare case I suspect a drive issue. Can you run a live Linux image and run a test on the drive ? Alternative can you try installing on a different drive ?

no extension as the nic is supported ootb by syno.

i am bit fearing about drive as well as a fresh install went fine with an empty drive.

before i tried all my manipulation, dsm was saying all good but may be it was mistaken...good that i always do a cold backup

6 minutes ago, titoum said:

no extension as the nic is supported ootb by syno.

i am bit fearing about drive as well as a fresh install went fine with an empty drive.

before i tried all my manipulation, dsm was saying all good but may be it was mistaken...good that i always do a cold backup

After install, when you create a storage pool DSM asks you to test the disk. In case you have any reason to believe your disks is malfunctioning, then run this test. 

3 minutes ago, pocopico said:

After install, when you create a storage pool DSM asks you to test the disk. In case you have any reason to believe your disks is malfunctioning, then run this test. 

ok so i know that now either it is sata cable or hdd dead...

i have unplugged 4 out of 5 disk and i can go further in start...

i will test them one by one then...any recommendation for sata cable? :-)

6 minutes ago, titoum said:

ok so i know that now either it is sata cable or hdd dead...

i have unplugged 4 out of 5 disk and i can go further in start...

i will test them one by one then...any recommendation for sata cable? :-)

If the cables or the connectors don’t have any visible damage then I highly doubt it’s the cable. SATA cables are totally passive components. 

20 minutes ago, pocopico said:

If the cables or the connectors don’t have any visible damage then I highly doubt it’s the cable. SATA cables are totally passive components. 

so i did the try/error

disk 5 is triggering reboot...i will plug it on my desktop for testing...why always seagate is causing issue. i though it would be better this time...jesus..

edit:

so my 2 WD not issue

out of my 3 seagate

• 1 ok
  • 1 crashed
  • 1 that makes my nas rebooting

the 3 seagate are from may of this year...wtf... 

Edited by titoum

1 hour ago, titoum said:

so i did the try/error

disk 5 is triggering reboot...i will plug it on my desktop for testing...why always seagate is causing issue. i though it would be better this time...jesus..

edit:

so my 2 WD not issue

out of my 3 seagate

• 1 ok
  • 1 crashed
  • 1 that makes my nas rebooting

the 3 seagate are from may of this year...wtf... 

ok so you are under warranty no worries .. 

Is it possible those drives or other components have a high energy drain? You might want to check if the drives are connected evenly to the power cables. Also a too weak power supply can cause trouble. I had two wd red 10tb disks with a high `drive reconnection count`, one with close over 20k and the other with close over 40k. The numbers were raised within a timespan of a single day. After replacing the power supply, the number remained static since. I must admit, I didn't like it that much that 2 drives of a 4 drive area went dark. As 3 drives had the same mdadm event id, I could re-join the array without data loss.  In my case the 290W power supply was simply not sufficient for the Xeon E3-1275v5 cpu' + LSI HBA + 8 drives when the cpu was full on under steam. 

Edited by haydibe

imo, the psu should be fine as it is a 360w seasonic.

the setup is working fine since May.

so i dont know if update through redpill broke something along the line...who knows...may be will try to erase all and see if it works again as the raid seems to be broken anway with a unresponsive hdd and a crashed one 😤

i am testing the first drive with seagate tool so far all went through so i decided to start the long generic test.

6 hours ago, titoum said:

imo, the psu should be fine as it is a 360w seasonic.

the setup is working fine since May.

so i dont know if update through redpill broke something along the line...who knows...may be will try to erase all and see if it works again as the raid seems to be broken anway with a unresponsive hdd and a crashed one 😤

i am testing the first drive with seagate tool so far all went through so i decided to start the long generic test.

If your PSU is newer, it shouldn’t be a problem. If it is older (5+ years), you would be surprised how their output drops and not enough depending on the number of things you have going on. 

you mention about the upgrade. How did you go about upgrading redpill? Did you build a new image or upgraded from synology control panel?

3 minutes ago, urundai said:

If your PSU is newer, it shouldn’t be a problem. If it is older (5+ years), you would be surprised how their output drops and not enough depending on the number of things you have going on. 

you mention about the upgrade. How did you go about upgrading redpill? Did you build a new image or upgraded from synology control panel?

pc is quite simple see signature with 5 drives (5x 3TO). i have put a monitor on the plug and it was consuming somehow 54w which is far less than the 360w :-)

so far the disk that was slowing/rebooting the system is passing all test from seagate...

i am trying now the one that is supposed to have crashed through all those tests as well.

next steps will be to spread the load on the psu as i put the 3 molex of a same line to power up the 5 hdd.
shouldnt be an issue but who knows... might also remove this panel and plug directly onto the hdd.

i have also order branded sata cable to be on the safe side. i had some issue before with my windows when all was working and at some point i had error on the drive for no reason. it appears that it was link to the cable.

upgrade of redpill was done through vmware by building new image and putting it on the usb stick.

Hello,

something REALLY strange is going on here:

Installed DSM 7.0.1 apollolake baremetal

Installed Docker Package

Deployed Debian or Ubuntu docker container

installed openvpn client

executed openvpn via "openvpn --config /full/path/to/file"

=> Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: /etc/openvpn/vpn.conf 

The file is DEFINITELY in place. I did EXACTLY the same mit Xpenology 6.3.2 in parallel and it works like a charm. What the hell is wrong here? :-(

Does somebody else have the same issue and any idea, why this is not working any more with DSM7?

Thank you!