RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Your disks are detected it seems

 


Disk /dev/sdaf: 59.6 GiB, 64023257088 bytes, 125045424 sectors
Disk model: SSD 830 Series          
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000a1a91

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdaf1       2048 125033894 125031847 59.6G fd Linux raid autodetect


Disk /dev/sdag: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Disk model: ST2000DM006-2DM164      
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x1d2b5e44

Device     Boot   Start        End    Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdag1         2048    4982527    4980480  2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdag2      4982528    9176831    4194304    2G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdag3      9437184 3906824351 3897387168  1.8T fd Linux raid autodetect


Disk /dev/sdae: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Disk model: DT01ACA200              
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x0003287d

Device     Boot   Start        End    Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdae1         2048    4982527    4980480  2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdae2      4982528    9176831    4194304    2G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdae3      9437184 3907015007 3897577824  1.8T  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdae5      9453280 3906822239 3897368960  1.8T fd Linux raid autodetect

 

Would it be too much to ask to have your bromolow_user_config.json ?

 

I bet this is something related to DiskIdxMap & SataPortMap settings to configure.

 

Please guys, make an effort if you want help. Give every details you have, you all have different hardware, settings...

 

It is really annoying to run after missing info just to help you...

really sorry my mistake.😂 You are so nice🤗

{

    "extra_cmdline": {

        "pid": "0x0001",

        "vid": "0x46f4",

        "sn": "1511LXXXXXXXX",

        "mac1": "001132XXXXXX",

"DiskIdxMap": "0C",

"SataPortMap": "8",

"SasIdxMap": "0"

    },

    "synoinfo": {},

    "ramdisk_copy": {},

    "extensions": []

}

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, biubiu321 said:

really sorry my mistake.😂 You are so nice🤗

{

    "extra_cmdline": {

        "pid": "0x0001",

        "vid": "0x46f4",

        "sn": "1511LXXXXXXXX",

        "mac1": "001132XXXXXX",

"DiskIdxMap": "0C",

"SataPortMap": "8",

"SasIdxMap": "0"

    },

    "synoinfo": {},

    "ramdisk_copy": {},

    "extensions": []

}

 

"DiskIdxMap": "1000",

"SataPortMap": "4",

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 12:43 AM, coint_cho said:

Had an issue with the installation today, Gigabye GA-H81M-S2PV/Pentium G3250/4GB RAM baremetal. Tried to install DSM 7.0 with RedPill on it, drives shown up as 1 2 5 6 (Tested with DSM 6)

image.thumb.png.8c4755e65daf103e54ab3d0e47721668.png

3 4 is technically empty but for some reason 3 4 is mapped to 5 6 and I couldn't install DSM 7, any idea what's happening and what parameters should I add to Synoinfo to remap the SATA drives?

My hardware is here, 1 SSD and 3 HDD, 1 SSD plugged into SATA 1, 2 3 4 is plugged into 4TB, 1TB, 1TB respectively. SATA is in AHCI mode and hotplug is enabled. LSPCI log (https://paste.ee/r/Qhxoo), and my config is here, image.png

Updated to DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap to extra_cmdline and changed SataPortMap from 6 to 4. Still the same outcome

Edited by coint_cho
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

First, thank you for the great help you bring to us.

I'm on xpenology DSM 6.2.3-25426.

I saw this project wich can support DSM 6.2.4 and 7.0 but, i saw there is only a way to do this under Linux.

I'm not friendly with Linux, is there a way to build a bootable key under Windows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, angel038 said:

I saw this project wich can support DSM 6.2.4 and 7.0 but, i saw there is only a way to do this under Linux.

 

Creation of the bootloader image requires docker, regardless of the OS. I use docker-ce on wsl2 (!=Docker for Desktop) with a modified Ubuntu 20.04 distro with enabled systemd (which is also the environment I created the toolchain builder in). 

 

Once you have the image, you can use any tool that allows to "burn" the image on a usb stick.

Edited by haydibe
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, haydibe said:

Creation of the bootloader image requires docker, regardless of the OS.

Oh, I realize this statement is not true ☺️ ...My toolchain builder requires docker.

 

Of course a bootloader image can be build without Docker on Linux, as long as the required gcc version for the platform and version is present.

It requires gcc < 5, e.g. 4.8.x or 4.9.x to  build Bromolow boot image. Apollolake requires the same for a DSM6.2.4 bootloader or gcc 7.5.x for a DSM7.0 bootloader.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, angel038 said:

I'm not friendly with Linux, is there a way to build a bootable key under Windows?

Not yet, its a long term goal of the project to have a more user friendly gui interface, but as this is still considered pre-beta a solid knowledge of Linux is required to build and potentially debug the loader.

 

If you’re not able to follow the instructions as they stand it’s not the right time for you to move to redpill.
 

Be patient 🙏🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cferra said:

Would there be any any to accurately identify port map information prior to loader creation?  Maybe a utility or process for this would assist in easing support questions. 

These sata portmap/disk index questions aren’t unique to redpill and have been asked and answered many types in other areas of the forum. Try using the site search tool (or using “site:xpenology.com” in Google). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Successfully created the bootloader via the instruction mentioned. (test-v7)

 

Installed DSM7 41890 from scratch on proxmox -> working fine as far as I can see

Upgraded DSM6.2.3 25426 (update 3) to DSM7 41890 with all settings migrated and also working.

 

Is there a list with known issues with this loader/DSM that doens't work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 1:16 AM, progressives said:

Hahaha

This error comes out when you add the necessary driver using an extension manager and make a bootloader.

화면 캡처 2021-10-11 103256.png

https://blog.dateno1.com/?p=3853

I was uploaded Mega partition image (fat32=512M + ext2 = 200M)

 

1. Extend partition size

2. Add EFI boot support on DS918+ Image

3. Active FAT32 Partition for legacy boot

 

Just mount&replace custom.gz on image

 

Maybe you can't fill it all

Edited by dateno1
  • Angry 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dateno1 said:

https://blog.dateno1.com/?p=3853

I was uploaded Mega partition image (fat32=512M + ext2 = 200M)

 

1. Extend partition size

2. Add EFI boot support on DS918+ Image

3. Active FAT32 Partition for legacy boot

 

Just mount&replace custom.gz on image

 

Maybe you can't fill it all

You release this on a blog without any care about what ThorGroup said about this.

You really should avoid publishing builded images containy Synology proprietary code.

The main goal of ThorGroup project is to avoid this kind of things...

 

And again, we are not even at beta stage yet... So making is too easy will make unaware/unprepared people breaking their current working DSM if something goes wrong.

 

Will you support/help them one by one when it will happen ?

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 6:23 PM, RedwinX said:

Just create a new disk : 

dd if=/dev/zero of=redpill-template.img bs=1024k seek=256 count=0

+100M for the 1st partition

+75M for the 2nd

all for the rest 

 

losetup -P /dev/loop18 redpill-template.img

mkdosfs -F32 /dev/loop18p1
mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop18p2

 

mv redpill-template.img boot-image-template.img

gzip redpill-template.img

cp redpill-template.img.gz to ext folder (replace the existing)

 

Works fine ;)

The problem has been solved.

Edited by progressives
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, WiteWulf said:

 

Okay, mixed results for me, I'm sad to say. @ThorGroup may find the results useful, however.

 

I built a new bromolow 7.0.1-42218 image using redpill-helper-v.0.12 and jumkey's "develop" branch of redpoll-load, with pocopico's tg3 extension.

 

I disabled the PCIe NC360T NIC and re-enabled the internal NIC from the BIOS and booted from the new USB stick.

 

Initially the server looked good: all docker containers started, as did Plex Media Server, with no kernel panic.

 

I ran a metadata update on a large library in Plex with no crashes and updated my influxdb docker container, also without a crash.

 

Next I ran the test TTG had previously asked me to do over on GitHub:


docker run --name influx-test -d -p 8086:8086 -v $PWD:/var/lib/influxdb influxdb:1.8
docker exec -it influx-test sh

# inside of the container:
wget https://golang.org/dl/go1.17.1.linux-amd64.tar.gz &&
    tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.17.1.linux-amd64.tar.gz &&
    rm go1* &&
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin &&
    go get -v 'github.com/influxdata/influx-stress/cmd/...'
/root/go/bin/influx-stress insert -f --stats

 

This time I got a kernel panic:


[  518.193477] Kernel panic - not syncing: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 6
[  518.228126] CPU: 6 PID: 28191 Comm: influx-stress Tainted: PF          O 3.10.108 #42218
[  518.267191] Hardware name: HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, BIOS J06 04/04/2019
[  518.301214]  ffffffff814a2759 ffffffff814a16b1 0000000000000010 ffff880409b88d60
[  518.337704]  ffff880409b88cf8 0000000000000000 0000000000000006 0000000000000001
[  518.374045]  0000000000000006 ffffffff80000001 0000000000000030 ffff8803f4c4bc00
[  518.410480] Call Trace:
[  518.422504]  <NMI>  [<ffffffff814a2759>] ? dump_stack+0xc/0x15
[  518.451063]  [<ffffffff814a16b1>] ? panic+0xbb/0x1df
[  518.475140]  [<ffffffff810a9eb8>] ? watchdog_overflow_callback+0xa8/0xb0
[  518.508166]  [<ffffffff810db7d3>] ? __perf_event_overflow+0x93/0x230
[  518.539141]  [<ffffffff810da612>] ? perf_event_update_userpage+0x12/0xf0
[  518.571601]  [<ffffffff810152a4>] ? intel_pmu_handle_irq+0x1b4/0x340
[  518.603124]  [<ffffffff814a9d06>] ? perf_event_nmi_handler+0x26/0x40
[  518.634926]  [<ffffffff814a944e>] ? do_nmi+0xfe/0x440
[  518.659908]  [<ffffffff814a8a53>] ? end_repeat_nmi+0x1e/0x7e
[  518.688056]  <<EOE>>
[  518.698239] Rebooting in 3 seconds..

 

 

So this is a *huge* improvement on where I was before, but it still crashes if I really push it, and I'm not sure why @Kouill's server *didn't* crash running the same test 🤔

 

One thing to note is that the NC360T card is still physically installed in my machine, but disabled in the BIOS.

 

 

Just for giggles I ran this for you, not on an HP box, but a 3615 image 7.0.1-42218 on a supermicro X10SAE with an E3-1225 v3.  It ran for an hour before I killed it, no issues other than it complaining about cache after filling up the disk which I expect is normal.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Orphée said:

You release this on a blog without any care about what ThorGroup said about this.

You really should avoid publishing builded images containy Synology proprietary code.

The main goal of ThorGroup project is to avoid this kind of things...

 

And again, we are not even at beta stage yet... So making is too easy will make unaware/unprepared people breaking their current working DSM if something goes wrong.

 

Will you support/help them one by one when it will happen ?

 

I agree to worry about synology's copyrights

 

but Xpenology is not 'proprietary product' it hasn't any guarantee (include stored data)

 

if It is not alpha or beta version that is same

 

They has endure entire risk associated with the use that (Any damage, forced breaks in economic activity, loss of business or other data or information, claims or expenses, consequential or incidental damages, legal Flaw, as well as lost profits or lost savings caused by use of or related to using software)

 

I was added 'warning message' on blog's post

 

if You want I will delete post from here and will not upload anymore 'builded images'

 

but Everyone can't build bootloader and edit them

 

Edited by dateno1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dateno1 said:

I agree to worry about synology's copyrights

 

but Xpenology is not 'proprietary product' it hasn't any guarantee (include stored data)

 

if It is not alpha or beta version that is same

 

They has endure entire risk associated with the use that (Any damage, forced breaks in economic activity, loss of business or other data or information, claims or expenses, consequential or incidental damages, legal Flaw, as well as lost profits or lost savings caused by use of or related to using software)

 

I was added 'warning message' on blog's post

 

if You want I will delete post from here and will not upload anymore 'builded images'

 

but Everyone can't build bootloader and edit them

 

I’d say that documentation on how to do it is one thing but I’d think that linking to official “forum” sources for materials related to building the loader is the route to go - offering prepackaged images should be avoided. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dateno1 said:

but Everyone can't build bootloader and edit them

 

 

 

Then they shouldn't be using redpill.  It's not considered stable yet, or in any way ready for general consumption.  If someone isn't capable of building a bootloader they should wait until the final version is ready for public consumption.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

hello,when I compile,input “./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-7.0.1-42218”,i have this problem:

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated. 

 

how to solve this problem? i think maybe i need to use VPN. which VPN can i use under Ubuntu?

Link to post
Share on other sites

virtio driver with option "CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI_LEGACY=y" wanted !

 

Thanks @ThorGroup, @pocopico for your great efforts.

 

In my virtualization system, the default virtio driver cannot worked.

But with option "CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI_LEGACY=y" compiled by myself worked well.

I have to insert the modules manually after the system booting.

Thus, I cannot arrange a well formed img.

 

May I ask you to update virtio driver with option "CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI_LEGACY=y" in the default extensions ?

 

My tested system: apollolake-7.0.1-42218.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, snowfox said:

i think maybe i need to use VPN. which VPN can i use under Ubuntu?

A VPN is not required.

 

4 hours ago, snowfox said:

how to solve this problem?  

 

With the level of provided details: I have no idea.

 

I can say that "auto" will not work if you require a http_proxy or https_proxy to access the internet (which almost no one uses in their home environment).

You can also try to check if things remedy after restarting the docker service (it was the solution to a couple of docker related problems in this thread).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well FYI,

 

I’ve figured out why some compiled modules when compiled get that big. E.g ixgbe 11MB or igb 8MB. 

CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG

CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO

 

are enabled on some of the syno released kernel sources and tool chain. When disabled the ixgbe size gets down to 400k vs 11MB 

 

This actually means the current free space on partition 1 on the default boot_image_template should be enough.

 

I will need to recompile and test again some extensions. This needs some extra effort, any help is welcome so PM me if available.

 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, s2k7 said:

virtio driver with option "CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI_LEGACY=y" wanted !

 

Thanks @ThorGroup, @pocopico for your great efforts.

 

In my virtualization system, the default virtio driver cannot worked.

But with option "CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI_LEGACY=y" compiled by myself worked well.

I have to insert the modules manually after the system booting.

Thus, I cannot arrange a well formed img.

 

May I ask you to update virtio driver with option "CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI_LEGACY=y" in the default extensions ?

 

My tested system: apollolake-7.0.1-42218.

 

 

 


I’ll take care of that and keep you posted 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.