XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

@jumkey

can you explain the jun mod of ds2422+?

There is no explanation in load Github, so I can only guess what it is.

Did you work on the i915 driver with @IG-88?

And, what do I have to do to make this driver work?
The global_config.json of tossp's tool-chain was modified to proceed to the DSM installation stage of ds2422+.
However, there is an error that stops at 55% during the installation process, so it is no longer proceeding.

@tossp

I hope you will add ds2422+ support.

I put the definition below in the global_config.json file with reference to ds1621+.
Although dtc editing and build were also completed, the SN of ds2422+ was used without the SN of ds2422+ and stopped at 55% during the DSM installation process, so it was no longer possible to proceed.
Can we just get ds2422+ SN GEN support?

{
      "id": "ds2422p-7.0.1-42218",
      "platform_name": "DS2422+",
      "platform_version": "ds2422p-7.0.1-42218",
      "user_config_json": "ds2422p_user_config.json",
      "docker_base_image": "debian:10-slim",
      "compile_with": "toolkit_dev",
      "redpill_lkm_make_target": "dev-v7",
      "downloads": {
        "kernel": {
          "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/25426branch/v1000-source/linux-4.4.x.txz/download",
          "sha256": "ac532ebb221d9c55f78236d57288ac31d410dde01f1453f60b0c502333fdf107"
        },
        "toolkit_dev": {
          "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.v1000-7.0.dev.txz/download",
          "sha256": "6108f9f7b7f0a13ee985314aef9419303375ab7ded4112be991590339b66ecd1"
        }
      },
      "redpill_lkm": {
        "source_url": "https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-lkm.git",
        "branch": "develop"
      },
      "redpill_load": {
        "source_url": "https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load.git",
        "branch": "develop"
      }
    }

These two issues are also inquired about your Github issue.

7 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

can you explain the jun mod of ds2422+?

I'm trying to boot with buildroot as the first kernel, then use php to dynamically patch the syno kernel, and finally start the patched vmlinux with kexec, as jun did before.

Now these are all executed successfully and I can enter the installation interface, but when I install I get a kernel panic.
Due to dynamic patching, I did not add the bsp kernel patch file to the configuration of ds2422p, so it is currently unavailable

• Thanks 3

which redpill-loader will be the best choice for i5-6500t (skylake) and 6xHDD? At the moment i am on DS918+ but i see there are so many new models supported by redpill. Should i migrate to other one? ex DS362xsp? Will DS1621p work with Intel CPU?

7 hours ago, shibby said:

which redpill-loader will be the best choice for i5-6500t (skylake) and 6xHDD? At the moment i am on DS918+ but i see there are so many new models supported by redpill. Should i migrate to other one? ex DS362xsp? Will DS1621p work with Intel CPU?

DTC-based ds1621+ or ds920+ does not yet support additional drivers such as intel NIC or LSI drivers.
Only Realtek NIC and SATA ports can be supported.
For now, ds3622 is the best to use HBA cards such as H200 and H310.

DS3622xs+ is usefull for old CPU before haswell...
If your DS918+ works, from my point of view thereis no real benefit to change.

Especially if you use hardware transcoding.

DVA3221 is mainly focused on Surveillance Station features as it is not a NAS but a NVR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ilovepancakes said:

I could be completely off on this but doesn't 3622 use the newer kernel version (v4)? And if so, isn't that the reason 918 doesn't work on older CPUs? How would 3622 work then when 918 doesn't?

Yes and No.

DS918+ does not work because it's built with FMA3 instruction set : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_instruction_set

The fact that it use Kernel V3 or V4 is not related.

DS3615/17/22 are not built with FMA3, so loaders work with old CPUs.

The fact DVA3221 does not start on HP Gen8 let me think it is also built with FMA3 instruction set.

• Like 1

I found an unused server at work and raised ds3622 on it. The Adaptec controller, I know that everything is bad with them, what smart does not show is understandable, but the fact that only one of the 5 disks is seen to create a pool is very strange. On the controller, each disk is created as a JBOD. What do you advise what is the problem?

image.thumb.png.ab1e0740755b56595b1d754a47d03670.png

22 hours ago, Orphée said:

If your DS918+ works, from my point of view thereis no real benefit to change.

Especially if you use hardware transcoding.

thanks. At the moment i am on DS918+: i5-6500t, 4x HDD (SHR2), 2x SSD Sata (SHR), 2x NVMe (SSD Cache). All works fine including HW Transcodind and 10Gb ethernet card (atlantic)

On 3/13/2022 at 12:01 AM, pocopico said:

Sure, feel free to PR your contributed code in rploader. 

@pocopico

As you wished, I wrote a simple shell script for dtb auto-generation. And share it here. If you need to upload this script to GitHub or somewhere else in the future, I will.

You can use both tinycore and tool-chain.
Currently, tinycore supports ds1621+,
In the case of tool-chain, ds920+ and ds1621+ are supported.

For tool-chain, there is no problem using the dtc executable because it uses the device-tree-compiler installed in Ubuntu.

In the case of tinycore, dtc execution is not smooth.
In some cases, it was luckily executed, but in most cases, it is not possible to execute it with a "not found" message.

If this problem is solved, there is no problem with generating dtb files for ds1621 in tinycore.

The current version 0.1 was created on the assumption that only the built-in SATA controller exists, and will be updated in line with changes in Redfill's functionality in the future.

If necessary, please consider the built-in of this feature within tinycore.

If there is a solution to how to run dtc in TC linux, please let me know.

auto-dtb.zip

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Orphée said:

Yes and No.

DS918+ does not work because it's built with FMA3 instruction set : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_instruction_set

The fact that it use Kernel V3 or V4 is not related.

DS3615/17/22 are not built with FMA3, so loaders work with old CPUs.

The fact DVA3221 does not start on HP Gen8 let me think it is also built with FMA3 instruction set.

Ahh interesting. It seems then there is no practical downside to FMA3 missing from DS3622 then other than maybe slightly worse performance on code that has to multiply numbers and then add to them?

5 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

@pocopico

As you wished, I wrote a simple shell script for dtb auto-generation. And share it here. If you need to upload this script to GitHub or somewhere else in the future, I will.

You can use both tinycore and tool-chain.
Currently, tinycore supports ds1621+,
In the case of tool-chain, ds920+ and ds1621+ are supported.

For tool-chain, there is no problem using the dtc executable because it uses the device-tree-compiler installed in Ubuntu.

In the case of tinycore, dtc execution is not smooth.
In some cases, it was luckily executed, but in most cases, it is not possible to execute it with a "not found" message.

If this problem is solved, there is no problem with generating dtb files for ds1621 in tinycore.

The current version 0.1 was created on the assumption that only the built-in SATA controller exists, and will be updated in line with changes in Redfill's functionality in the future.

If necessary, please consider the built-in of this feature within tinycore.

If there is a solution to how to run dtc in TC linux, please let me know.

auto-dtb.zip 61.76 kB · 8 downloads

I have updated rploader.sh and i needed to take care a lot of variables, e.g. number of disks of each individual, nvme existence etc. anyway i hope this will work for most. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, pocopico said:

I have updated rploader.sh and i needed to take care a lot of variables, e.g. number of disks of each individual, nvme existence etc. anyway i hope this will work for most. 

I also revised and attached "auto-dtb.sh" according to tinycore's ds920p support.

auto-dtb.zip

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I also revised and attached "auto-dtb.sh" according to tinycore's ds920p support.

auto-dtb.zip 62.09 kB · 4 downloads

Sorry, I confused the support status of ds920+ and tinycore.

tinycore does not support ds920+ yet.
So don't use a combination of tinycore and ds920+ in this script.
I want to erase the wrong revised file and duplicate it.
I can't erase it.

Hello ! did you think it will be possible to install DSM with NVR DVA3221? I was very intresting for me to test with my NVIDIA card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650)

, and surveillance station (have 22 camera)... The deep learning is a very helpful feature...

Thx :)

2 minutes ago, RedwinX said:

Hello ! did you think it will be possible to install DSM with NVR DVA3221? I was very intresting for me to test with my NVIDIA card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650)

, and surveillance station (have 22 camera)... The deep learning is a very helpful feature...

Thx :)

????

22 hours ago, RedwinX said:

Hello all,

@jumkey @pocopico @Orphée Is there a way to control the speed of fan by DSM? Finding a way, but not working. Even if I boot on Linux (whatever the distrib). It's an old QNAP, works fine (build with tinycore). I think there is a special driver in QNAP OS.  If I found it, is it possible to backport it?

Thx ;)

Found this : 

root@Plex:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +29.0 C  (crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1:       +31.0 C  (crit = +100.0 C)

it8721-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:           3.02 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
in1:           2.72 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
in2:           1.04 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
in3:           2.76 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
in4:           1.20 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
in5:           1.50 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
in6:           1.43 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
3VSB:          2.35 V  (min =  +0.77 V, max =  +0.43 V)  ALARM
Vbat:          3.26 V
fan1:           0 RPM  (min =  288 RPM)  ALARM
fan2:        1814 RPM  (min =  218 RPM)  ALARM
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =   16 RPM)  ALARM
temp1:        +30.0 C  (low  =  +0.0 C, high = +127.0 C)  sensor = thermal diode
temp2:        +28.0 C  (low  =  +0.0 C, high = +127.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:       -128.0 C  (low  = -124.0 C, high = -115.0 C)  sensor = disabled
intrusion0:  ALARM

it8721-isa-0290. Cannot install fancontrol via opkg, need to find other way...

@pocopicopossible to build driver it87 for ds3615xs ? 

Edited by RedwinX

On 3/12/2022 at 2:57 PM, Peter Suh said:

I have a very happy news today.
It seems that there is no longer a need to think about adjusting the SataPortMap figures.
In the past, as if the number of HDD physically connected to the Sataport in the Jun loader had to be recorded without caring about the number of ports.
This is the method proposed by "TheSTREET," which is not active in the forum here but is active in NAS-related forums in Korea.
The HotPlug (or HotSWAP) function of the built-in SATA port on the BIOS is changed to enabled.
In this way, it does not matter if the SataPortMap=6, which was automatically found by the internal TC, is left from the DSM installation stage as shown in the attached image.
Attached is the result of the test below.
The error of turning off the Hot Plug,
This is the result after HotPlug is turned on.

If "TheSTREET" allows, we plan to create and post details related to this as topics in the future.

스크린샷 2022-03-12 오후 1.52.31.png

IMG_5005.JPG

스크린샷 2022-03-12 오후 1.59.25.png

스크린샷 2022-03-12 오후 2.00.13.png

스크린샷 2022-03-12 오후 2.05.37.png

스크린샷 2022-03-12 오후 1.57.31.png

Haven't checked in thread in forever, however I just upgraded my motherboard and thought I'd give it a try upgrading from 6.2.3 to 7.0.1. At first, the usual problems ensues, disk 5.6 is error bla bla bla basically not possible to upgrade. Tried DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap, both on myself after reading through the forums. Didn't work, booted up Tinycore to get the configuration with rploader in tinycore, gave me the same exact map and even the same exact value with HBA: 00.1f.2 Disks : 6 . Didn't work as well, turned on hotplug support for all sata ports after that, and currently my box is upgrading from 6.2.3-25426 straight up to 7.0.1-42218! So for anyone still wondering if SataPortMap/DiskIdxMap will or won't work, try and give this a try. My mobo is a H87-Plus, with 4 disks currently in total plugged into it, 240GB SSD on SATA1, 8TB IronWolf on SATA2, 4TB HGST on SATA3, 1TB WD GREEN on SATA4. No other settings were touched and all settings were left at stock, only hotplug option was changed to fit.

43 minutes ago, coint_cho said:

Haven't checked in thread in forever, however I just upgraded my motherboard and thought I'd give it a try upgrading from 6.2.3 to 7.0.1. At first, the usual problems ensues, disk 5.6 is error bla bla bla basically not possible to upgrade. Tried DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap, both on myself after reading through the forums. Didn't work, booted up Tinycore to get the configuration with rploader in tinycore, gave me the same exact map and even the same exact value with HBA: 00.1f.2 Disks : 6 . Didn't work as well, turned on hotplug support for all sata ports after that, and currently my box is upgrading from 6.2.3-25426 straight up to 7.0.1-42218! So for anyone still wondering if SataPortMap/DiskIdxMap will or won't work, try and give this a try. My mobo is a H87-Plus, with 4 disks currently in total plugged into it, 240GB SSD on SATA1, 8TB IronWolf on SATA2, 4TB HGST on SATA3, 1TB WD GREEN on SATA4. No other settings were touched and all settings were left at stock, only hotplug option was changed to fit.

Following up with a SS :)

image.thumb.png.7e4c8fe7e4dcb3d5dd1ba805992e3af3.png