XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

On 2/25/2022 at 2:47 AM, ilovepancakes said:

OK that makes sense, so basically building the loader using data from the generated PAT for 7.1 rather than the original 7.1 PAT that can't be unpacked/read anymore by TC. I wonder if there is an eventual way to automate that building of the generated PAT. Unless we find a way to unpack the original without booting it and generating live from DSM telnet, I would imagine it would be pretty dang hard to automate your procedure you came up with since it seems to involve a running instance of DSM to be able to telnet into and build the PAT manually.

https://github.com/dogodefi/redpill-loader-action/blob/main/build-ds3622xsp-7.1.sh see this github-action. it works.

Hey people, sorry for going all quiet, life got on top of me for a little while after Christmas, what did I miss?

Looks like TTG are still MIA, but there's been some great work done by the regulars to build on their work. Anyone fancy giving me the executive summary? :)

10 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Hey people, sorry for going all quiet, life got on top of me for a little while after Christmas, what did I miss?

Looks like TTG are still MIA, but there's been some great work done by the regulars to build on their work. Anyone fancy giving me the executive summary? :)

Welcome back ;)

A really quick summary, as you said, TTG still MIA, some motivated guys worked hard in the meantime and we currently have a working DS3622xs+ loader able to replace 3617 and 3615 loaders (they are still working too)

There is still a little issue remaining with mpt3sas drivers on DS362xs+, it seems some SMART info are still missing, so SMART may not be revelant on this loader.

But some of us migrated to 7.0.1, as I did, from 3615 to 3622.

I don't remember since when you left, but @pocopico created a tinycore OS loader. It can build the loader and flash the running OS to have a ready to run loader.

It is able to generate fake serials, list needed modules, find satamap needed values, a real great tool !

• Like 1

Thanks @Orphée, I just had a quick scan through the tinyloader thread, impressive stuff! Must have a play with that sometime soon now I've got a bit of spare time again.

DS3622xs support sounds good; did I read somewhere that Synology are dropping support for DS3615xs that many of us use as a base?

Was made some big changes in redpill-loader in last few months? I have Baremetal DS918+ with redpill 7.0.1 compiled in October from @jumkey develop branch. All works fine but now i need to change mu 10GbE Ethernet card so i need to add new module (already using tn40xx but need atlantic). So yesterday i compiled new redpill-loader from jumkey`s sources. Baremetal was detected by Synology Assistant but as "Not installed!!" Not even "Migradable" but as new one and creator wants to format all my drives.

I tried @pocopico`s tinycore but result was the same.

Any advice how can i make new redpill image which will not requires new DSM instalation.

15 часов назад, yanjun сказал:

/build-ds3622xsp-7.1.sh: line 29: cd: redpill-lkm: No such file or directory
sed: can't read ../broadwellnk/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-root/usr/lib/modules/DSM-7.0/build/Makefile: No such file or directory
./build-ds3622xsp-7.1.sh: line 31: make: command not found
sudo: modinfo: command not found
cp: cannot stat 'redpill.ko': No such file or directory

On 3/2/2022 at 4:21 PM, RedwinX said:

If you read/search on this post, I can confirm you that you can upgrade easily from 6.2.3 to 7.0.1. Please make a backup first, as always. The upgrade is simple, and works fine (tested on 5 xpenology in production --> upgrade from jun's loader 1.04b/1.03b).

For sfp+, what's your card reference? You can use extension from @pocopico. Just give me the reference of your card, and I will told you which driver used.

I m using this sfp+ card BCM957810A1006G Broadcom. On 6.2.3 works fine with VMXNET 3. ( i have it under esxi). On 7.0.1 it's not showing it.

I will check about the upgrade it is on the previous pages?

Thanks for the response also.

i started reading the posts i saw other people having the same issue. I guess the driver is missing? Can i add somehow the driver on the existing installation?

Edited by giorgosperi

1 hour ago, aportnov said:

/build-ds3622xsp-7.1.sh: line 29: cd: redpill-lkm: No such file or directory
sed: can't read ../broadwellnk/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-root/usr/lib/modules/DSM-7.0/build/Makefile: No such file or directory
./build-ds3622xsp-7.1.sh: line 31: make: command not found
sudo: modinfo: command not found
cp: cannot stat 'redpill.ko': No such file or directory

As you may know, we are on the "dev" section.

If you don't understand why happened there, you may stay away from it.

if the redpill-lkm folder is missing, it means git did not work, and if make not found, it means build-essential were not installed correctly.

So first part of the script did not run as expected.

You may want to run this script inside a debian 10 slim docker container...

58 minutes ago, giorgosperi said:

I m using this sfp+ card BCM957810A1006G Broadcom. On 6.2.3 works fine with VMXNET 3. ( i have it under esxi). On 7.0.1 it's not showing it.

I will check about the upgrade it is on the previous pages?

Thanks for the response also.

i started reading the posts i saw other people having the same issue. I guess the driver is missing? Can i add somehow the driver on the existing installation?

If the expected driver is Vmxnet3, you may want to manually install it :
./rploader.sh ext [loader_version] add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/main/vmxnet3/rpext-index.json

and then launch your build.

Or you can change VM settings to E1000e and install the matching extension :
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/e1000e/rpext-index.json

Edited by Orphée

2 minutes ago, Orphée said:

If the expected driver is Vmxnet3, you may want to manually install it :
./rploader.sh ext [loader_version] add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/main/vmxnet3/rpext-index.json

and then launch your build.

Or you can change VM settings to E1000e and install the matching extension :
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/e1000e/rpext-index.json

e1000e is working fine with my other gigabit card.

on one of my tests i used e1000e on the sfp+ card and recognized the card but as a gigabit card.

yeah for this card is expecting VMXNET3 to fully recognize it.

so i have to add it on the image and after reinstall it using the new image?

3 minutes ago, giorgosperi said:

e1000e is working fine with my other gigabit card.

on one of my tests i used e1000e on the sfp+ card and recognized the card but as a gigabit card.

yeah for this card is expecting VMXNET3 to fully recognize it.

so i have to add it on the image and after reinstall it using the new image?

You run the "ext add" command before launching the build command.

The missing ext should then be added to the loader. as usual.

Edit : I'm assuming you are using Tinycore OS from @pocopico , if not, you already probably know how to add an extension from @haydibe script.

Edited by Orphée

3 minutes ago, Orphée said:

You run the "ext add" command before launching the build command.

The missing ext should then be added to the loader. as usual.

Edit : I'm assuming you are using Tinycore OS from @pocopico , if not, you already probably know how to add an extension from @haydibe script.

i built the image on ubuntu. i guess its the same process. my knowledge on this is a bit limited but i think i m getting it.

so before the build command i run the ext add to add the vmxnet3 driver. i need also to add the mac addess of this card as mac2 i dont think that i did it on the image that i have. can i 'upgrade' the existing installation with the new image that im going to make or i will need to redo it?

1 minute ago, giorgosperi said:

i built the image on ubuntu. i guess its the same process. my knowledge on this is a bit limited but i think i m getting it.

so before the build command i run the ext add to add the vmxnet3 driver. i need also to add the mac addess of this card as mac2 i dont think that i did it on the image that i have. can i 'upgrade' the existing installation with the new image that im going to make or i will need to redo it?

If it is you main and only LAN card, you don't need a mac2 value.

From ESXi point of view, as long as you are not using passthrough and only let ESXi handle lan card. you only have to match number card between real and VM.

So you if you want to have 2 lan card inside your ESXi, yes you will need mac1 and mac2.... etc...

2 minutes ago, Orphée said:

If it is you main and only LAN card, you don't need a mac2 value.

From ESXi point of view, as long as you are not using passthrough and only let ESXi handle lan card. you only have to match number card between real and VM.

So you if you want to have 2 lan card inside your ESXi, yes you will need mac1 and mac2.... etc...

yeah but right now the image i think i built it based on the other card so its going to be different mac address. maybe i ll remake the image just with one card the sfp+ but is it possible to make the image with the vmxnet3 and lets say upgrade it on the existing installation or i will have to start from the beginning?

8 minutes ago, giorgosperi said:

yeah but right now the image i think i built it based on the other card so its going to be different mac address. maybe i ll remake the image just with one card the sfp+ but is it possible to make the image with the vmxnet3 and lets say upgrade it on the existing installation or i will have to start from the beginning?

the mac address is defined on ESXi VM settings... So I don't understand you.

Or you give the card like PCI passthrough directly inside the VM, and then yes you have to manage the card directly.

But I don't catch you on this... How is your ESXi configuration set ?

Hello, I am new to xpenology, and a few days ago I decided to try it and I have a fully functional DS918+ with DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3. I am waiting for two WD red plus 4TB drives to arrive that will go in RAID1. To upgrade to 7.01 what should I do? I can not update automatically without more from the launcher? I read something about loaders, the loader is the DSM? Forgive the rookie questions, but I would like to have the latest version since I start to do everything from scratch, but I have this question of how I should do it.

Thanks and sorry for my English!

Edited by maziuone

3 часа назад, Orphée сказал:

As you may know, we are on the "dev" section.

If you don't understand why happened there, you may stay away from it.

if the redpill-lkm folder is missing, it means git did not work, and if make not found, it means build-essential were not installed correctly.

So first part of the script did not run as expected.

You may want to run this script inside a debian 10 slim docker container...

Tell me how to use

• Angry 2

3 hours ago, Orphée said:

the mac address is defined on ESXi VM settings... So I don't understand you.

Or you give the card like PCI passthrough directly inside the VM, and then yes you have to manage the card directly.

But I don't catch you on this... How is your ESXi configuration set ?

yeah i know just i thought that you have to match on the json that you make before the build of the image the mac address of your nic that is my virtual nic. 

16 minutes ago, giorgosperi said:

yeah i know just i thought that you have to match on the json that you make before the build of the image the mac address of your nic that is my virtual nic. 

The MAC address set in json will override MAC address used in ESXi VM setting when loader boot (like it does on baremetal).
So of course it is better to have it matching in order to have the same DHCP IP when boot on Tinycore OS vs DSM. But it is not mandatory.

as long as your only default LAN card on ESXi is the card you want (sfp+). it should work.

2 hours ago, Orphée said:

The MAC address set in json will override MAC address used in ESXi VM setting when loader boot (like it does on baremetal).
So of course it is better to have it matching in order to have the same DHCP IP when boot on Tinycore OS vs DSM. But it is not mandatory.

as long as your only default LAN card on ESXi is the card you want (sfp+). it should work.

yeah i think my case is just that i dont have the vmxnet3 loaded on the image that i installed. can i build a new image with the driver and upgrade it on the existing one?