XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

12 hours ago, NoFate said:

guys, is there something wrong with the 6.2.4 loader?

I have an Hp Gen 8 , with esxi, the bootlader is on sata disk 0:0 , my extra hard disk is at sata disk 0:0

i have below configured

"SataPortMap": "2",
    "DiskIdxMap": "00"

if i do this : sudo ./rploader.sh build bromolow-7.0.1-42218

i can perfect install a DSM 7 system, it works perfect had it running for a few days, during .pat upload the installed told me DSM is going to be installed on DISK 2

i do the exact same process, now with this command, a clean host in esxu

sudo ./rploader.sh build bromolow-6.2.4-25556

i upload that specific pat file, again i get the message that it will install on disk 2 , it completes to 100%

i do a reboot, but its back at the setup start again?? for a new .pat file upload?

whats wrong?

image.png.a18b927924adecdd26feccc66d7d0513.png

image.png.f1b0850c8c808951aa957628e3db4d92.png

After this reboot, i'm back at point 1

what could be wrong?

the same problem

I'm running DS3615xs DSM 7.0.1-42218 on my MicroServer Gen8 G1610T.

I've compiled it from source a while ago and I remember it took me some trouble to figure out how to add a repository for the ethernet drivers.

Anyways it has been running rock solid up until now, surveillance station, docker + portainer and even a Windows 10 VM and I'm very happy with it.

Now I believe update DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 1 and 2 are out now.

What's the best way to build a new image (which includes the ethernet driver)?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MastaG said:

I'm running DS3615xs DSM 7.0.1-42218 on my MicroServer Gen8 G1610T.

I've compiled it from source a while ago and I remember it took me some trouble to figure out how to add a repository for the ethernet drivers.

Anyways it has been running rock solid up until now, surveillance station, docker + portainer and even a Windows 10 VM and I'm very happy with it.

Now I believe update DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 1 and 2 are out now.

What's the best way to build a new image (which includes the ethernet driver)?

What was your process of adding your ext to the kernel? I've check rp-ext by pocopico and he only have some of the drivers I need for my device to work properly. Dell Poweredge T320 H310 LSI SAS2008 Megaraid SAS card. 3615 doesn't like the megaraid_sas drive so it never boots when I add this driver. It will on 3617, but trying to build it as of late is crazy. The pat download link is down most of the time during the night. Now some drivers like megaraid_sas won't download when pulled to the build. Anyway, I figured if I could added them to the kernel myself, what I need, then it would work. Any help would be awesome

On 1/27/2022 at 4:08 PM, PincoPalla said:

Hello everyone as I wrote that I would have done a few days ago today I upgraded (migrated) the DSM from 6.2.3 up3 to 7.0.1 (42218) up2 baremetal from image redpill-DS918 + _7.0.1-42218_b1635406499.img, everything went right everything works correctly (or almost ..); as I feared, the system no longer sees me the two NVMe cards that I use for the cache which therefore I cannot mount, someone knows and wants to help me ??? Are the patches used for version 6.2.3 okay or are there others ??? Thank you

Ciao PincOPallA,

it seems to me that something has been written about the NVMe support between page 80 and page 90 on this thread... you should dig further in those pages. If you found something please re-post it here to us, because I'm very interested. 

Furthermore Could you be so kind to tell us:

• what is not working correctly?
  • far more important which is your detailed list of BareMetal hardware?

Thank you!

Hello guys. Im trying to get 6.2.4 or higher installed on a Dell Poweredge T320. The problem that Im having is a lot of the drivers I needed to be installed are not included in the tinycore img or not in pocopico's rp-ext. Plus currently the url for the drivers/modules is broken.  Not able to add drivers. Is it possible to manually add your own modules and if so how? See attachments below, maybe it can help someone to help me. Thanks.

lspci dmesg kmod list

Hello guys. Im trying to get 6.2.4 or higher installed on a Dell Poweredge T320. The problem that Im having is a lot of the drivers I needed to be installed are not included in the tinycore img or not in pocopico's rp-ext. Plus currently the url for the drivers/modules is broken.  Not able to add drivers. Is it possible to manually add your own modules and if so how? See attachments below, maybe it can help someone to help me. Thanks.
lspci dmesg kmod list
Your best bet would be to ask pocopico nicelly if he can compile drivers for the missing devices and to his rp-ext tree. In Linux drivers are bound to the Linux kernel so you need to recompile using kernel sources used in the specific DSM version and emulated Synology hardware.

Skickat från min LE2113 via Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

it is possible to add manually if you look into it how its done

also its way better to get help if you deliver specific information amount you hardware and what you are looking for

like having a complete lspci or dmsg from system running the drivers properly (like a live linux)

as you shortend your logs and information there is only a limited amount of whats to say

onboard nic dell t320, Broadcom 5720 1GbE Dual Port LOM, -> tg3.ko

from the lspci part, "Subsystem: Device 1028:1f4e"

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1000/0073/10281f4e -> Perc H310, sas2008 based -> mpt2sas.ko/mpt3sas.ko, there are native to 3615/3617 and usually work ootb with these

also all this drivers are already there, so you just need to add them properly

https://github.com/pocopico/3.10.108-modules

https://github.com/pocopico/4.4.180plus-modules

https://github.com/pocopico/4.4.180plus-broadwell

for the tg3.ko there is also firmware needed, looks like this in jun's loaders rc.modules and there is a parallel "firmware" folder parallel to the modules folder

EXTRA_FIRMWARES="tigon/tg3_tso5.bin tigon/tg3_tso.bin tigon/tg3.bin tigon/tg357766.bin"

in extra.lzma \usr\lib\firmware\tigon\

(i have not looked into how redpill loader handles firmware compared to jun's)

dell and hpe often used other broadcom nic's, they would most likely need bnx2.ko or bnx2x.ko and will need firmware too

On 1/26/2022 at 11:21 AM, zahni said:

@eldi: I have exactly the same issue and havn't found any help. I've you found a solution, I would be happy. 

Hey guys. I have found, at least on my case, that when the bootloader starts it should load the sata option (second one) and not the first one (default one) usb. 

Has anyone had any luck getting 7.0.1 on an 918+ with a LSI PCI passthrough card working on ESXi?  I can install and boot ok, and DSM can see the drives fine.  However, it doesn't seem able to read the SMART data so the Storage Pool is showing error messages which I can't clean. 

Edited by nickhx

On 1/30/2022 at 6:31 PM, nickhx said:

Has anyone had any luck getting 7.0.1 on an 918+ with a LSI PCI passthrough card working on ESXi?  I can install and boot ok, and DSM can see the drives fine.  However, it doesn't seem able to read the SMART data so the Storage Pool is showing error messages which I can't clean. 

you can read about that problem in the additional driver section 6.2.3 extra.lzma, when using "clean" scsi/sas kernel driver you end up like that, with jun's sas for 918+ it ended in smart/sn working for disks but killing the raid when using hdd power management like spin down

when using both, syno's scsi/sas support drivers and device drivers (like in 3617) it does work properly, so using 3617 would fix your problems - but with 7.0 there might be a new option because 3617 is now also kernel 4.4 like 918+, it would be possible (with some uncertainty's) to transplant the 3617 scsi/sas support driver and mpt2sas/mpt3sas drivers into 918+,  kind of dirty trickery but if it works out ... - same might also be possible the other way around with the i915 drivers (maybe), so having i915 support in 3617 with its 16 thread/core kernel, or even nvme support for 3617 as code and base are all the same now? (but that might need lots of tinkering and testing)

at least that is the kind of plans i would have when dealing with 7.0 and drivers and the missing kernel/driver source, atm i'm in no hurry for these things, but it gets more interesting with tinycore and @pocopico 's efforts

but at some point it might be easier to use the redpill loader source to adapt to a better/newer base then 3615/3617/918+ - but that's beyond my capabilities

i did some suggestions here for a new base (i guess beside the coding it needs some reverse engineering about the hardware that is checked to implement the needed fake psi id's)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/38603-suggestions-for-units-to-have-a-loader-for-with-70/

Edited by IG-88
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IG-88 said:

also its way better to get help if you deliver specific information amount you hardware and what you are looking for

like having a complete lspci or dmsg from system running the drivers properly (like a live linux)

as you shortend your logs and information there is only a limited amount of whats to say

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1000/0073/10281f4e -> Perc H310, sas2008 based -> mpt2sas.ko/mpt3sas.ko, there are native to 3615/3617 and usually work ootb with these

for the tg3.ko there is also firmware needed, looks like this in jun's loaders rc.modules and there is a parallel "firmware" folder parallel to the modules folder

EXTRA_FIRMWARES="tigon/tg3_tso5.bin tigon/tg3_tso.bin tigon/tg3.bin tigon/tg357766.bin"

dell and hpe often used other broadcom nic's, they would most likely need bnx2.ko or bnx2x.ko and will need firmware too

I've tried the mpt2sas and 3, they didn't work. What did seem to work was the megaraid_sas. I would be able to get all the way to the install, but get to 56% and then get it was a corrupt file or something. Now not sure what's going on as when I go to add ext, keep getting 404 not found. My main issue is the the sas raid card and getting it to work right. When Im able, ill go back and try mpt2 and 3 again. I did install them separately, maybe I need to install both.

Edited by Dvalin21

15 hours ago, IG-88 said:

Sorry one more thing. The tg3 works fine (that Im aware of. Im at least able to find the device) The modules I have was from https://github.com/pocopico/4.4.180plus-broadwell If you look at my kmod you will see that the megaraid_sas is being used by 9 devices. (megaraid_sas  72750 9) Mptbase is dependent on mptctl, mptsas, mptspi, mptscsih and is used by 4 devices. Pocopico is missing some of the mpt modules in rp-ext like mptclt and mptscsih. He modified(compiled) mptsas and from what I could tell with adding or merged some other mpt, but my device dont seem to like it. Either way, this kmod, dmesg, lspci was pulled from 6.2.3 DSM3617xs on the device and have zero issues with it. I guess what I'm saying it worked better with all of the modules being installed (even though there were many werent used). I can understand the idea with the new approach, but it seems to be little harder at least for a lot dell servers and especially LSI SAS cards. I can see my motherboard sata ports with no issue, but nothing is connected to them so its not helpful

On 1/20/2022 at 2:10 PM, miicker said:

I just found this topic, I thought DSM 7 (or 6.2.4) was still impossible, then I looked into the update topic and I saw that people successfully installed DSM 7 on their NAS using RedPill.

I have a baremetal system that runs Juns loader v1.04b (DS918+). I have an Intel Pentium G4560 with 5 disks installed. Can I use RedPill loader to install DSM 7?

And if so, will I be able to keep my DSM settings and docker containers etc.

I searched already on this site and on Google but could not find a proper tutorial on how to do this, is there anyone here that can help?

If you have 12TB of data that's important to you don't do it unless you backup your stuff first. This is still in beta, try building a new system with the redoill loader and then transfer your data over is what I would do....

19 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

What did seem to work was the megaraid_sas.

is you controller in IR Mode? R like Raid?

it suposed do be IT Mode like initiator target mode, where all disks are just single disks without any raid options

its usually to be seen in the controllers bios

16 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

I can understand the idea with the new approach, but it seems to be little harder at least for a lot dell servers and especially LSI SAS cards.

in case of 3617 syno had newer drivers in place apart from the one in the kernel (dsm 6.2.x) and i favored syno's own drivers over ones made from not matching kernel code

i guess at least for 7.0 3617 it would be better to use syno's sas and mpt drivers in the loader, but that needs some tinkering like a custom.gz manually made up like the extra.lzma

atm i'm not doing much with 7.0 as its kind of to new to have it on my system, i'm just poking a little bit here and there for now to see where its going

16 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

I can see my motherboard sata ports with no issue, but nothing is connected to them so its not helpful

ahci is default in all syno kernels we have, kind of a safe choice for all units as its present in all and switching between dsm types is possible without worrying about drivers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

is you controller in IR Mode? R like Raid?

it suposed do be IT Mode like initiator target mode, where all disks are just single disks without any raid options

its usually to be seen in the controllers bios

in case of 3617 syno had newer drivers in place apart from the one in the kernel (dsm 6.2.x) and i favored syno's own drivers over ones made from not matching kernel code

i guess at least for 7.0 3617 it would be better to use syno's sas and mpt drivers in the loader, but that needs some tinkering like a custom.gz manually made up like the extra.lzma

atm i'm not doing much with 7.0 as its kind of to new to have it on my system, i'm just poking a little bit here and there for now to see where its going

ahci is default in all syno kernels we have, kind of a safe choice for all units as its present in all and switching between dsm types is possible without worrying about drivers

Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I really appreciate it. I can understand with Dsm 7, still new and all that. I would try 6.2.4, but I still have to go through tinycore correct?  Also thank you for all past, present, and future assistance to this community. You and many others are very much appreciated.

• Like 1

who knows how fix it ?

dmesg | grep error
[    3.561654] intel-lpss: probe of 0001:00:16.0 failed with error -22
[    3.568502] intel-lpss: probe of 0001:00:18.0 failed with error -22
[    3.575360] intel-lpss: probe of 0001:00:19.0 failed with error -22
[    3.582289] intel-lpss: probe of 0001:00:19.2 failed with error -22
[    8.743494] ahci: probe of 0001:01:00.0 failed with error -22
[    8.749644] ahci: probe of 0001:00:12.0 failed with error -22
[   26.346195] xhci_hcd: probe of 0001:00:15.0 failed with error -16
[   29.881245] usb 1-12: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   30.111253] usb 1-12: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   30.471270] usb 1-12: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   30.701291] usb 1-12: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   31.866318] usb 1-12: device not accepting address 6, error -71
[   32.416340] usb 1-12: device not accepting address 7, error -71
[   41.252764] igb: probe of 0001:02:00.0 failed with error -5
[   41.252768] igb: probe of 0001:03:00.0 failed with error -5
                        res 40/00:10:00:9d:0e/00:00:00:00:00/40 Emask 0x50 (ATA bus error)
[   74.421735] ata7: link reset sucessfully clear error flags
                        res 40/00:38:00:8c:b5/00:00:00:00:00/40 Emask 0x50 (ATA bus error)
[  147.154767] ata7: link reset sucessfully clear error flags

dmesg | grep failed
[    2.620571] redpill: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[    3.561654] intel-lpss: probe of 0001:00:16.0 failed with error -22
[    3.568502] intel-lpss: probe of 0001:00:18.0 failed with error -22
[    3.575360] intel-lpss: probe of 0001:00:19.0 failed with error -22
[    3.582289] intel-lpss: probe of 0001:00:19.2 failed with error -22
[    8.743494] ahci: probe of 0001:01:00.0 failed with error -22
[    8.749644] ahci: probe of 0001:00:12.0 failed with error -22
[   26.346195] xhci_hcd: probe of 0001:00:15.0 failed with error -16
[   40.108495] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit pkg-install-high-priority-builtin.service, ignoring: Unit pkg-install-high-priority-builtin.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
[   40.127555] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit pkg-install-low-priority-builtin.service, ignoring: Unit pkg-install-low-priority-builtin.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
[   41.252764] igb: probe of 0001:02:00.0 failed with error -5
[   41.252768] igb: probe of 0001:03:00.0 failed with error -5
[   61.417339] ata7.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[   61.443123] ata7.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[   61.468662] ata7.00: failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
[   61.494397] ata7.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[   71.536095] ata7: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
[  134.424600] ata7.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[  134.450331] ata7.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[  134.475936] ata7.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[  144.523120] ata7: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)