XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

Il y a 2 heures, toyanucci a dit :

You applied the update from within DSM without redoing redpill? Wondering if it's safe to just apply the update 🤷🏾‍♂️

Sorry for the duplicate posts, not sure why it did that.  Can someone please delete them?

Just download the pat file and update it manually from the control panel > Updates. It's safe because it's not a big update

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

what openvmtools versions it;s working please with redpill and dsm7?

Thank you,

At DSM7 sysnology limited package‘s root permission there is no openvm tool 4DSM7 so far, not sure if there will be in near future or further future.

• Like 1

I tried to install DSM 7.0.1-42218 to a Gigabyte Z370N WIFI Mainboard and when I open the Website to install DSM it loads a little bit and after some minutes I get the Error message, that Errors on the Hard Drives were dtected and the SATA Ports were deactivated. 
I tried also to set the  SataPortMap but without success and I still get the same Error Message.  sued also the latest Github Release of Redpill and I have compiled also the Bootloader myself on a Debian VM.
I don't have a Serial Console on this Board, to check why I am getting this Error Message. Do you have maybe an hint to solve this?
I have added also an Screenshot of the Error Message. Thanks.

xpenology.png

Hi all. I decided to try the redpill and I found a youtube video explaining how to compile the img, since my knowledge is very little. the video is a chinese one and it is called Vmware + xpenology DSM 7.0.1 with redpill. I am currently running the latest version of jun's loader with dsm 6.1.3 and it works fine. I have compiled and migrated and the result is very good.

- Outcome of the update:  SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 7.0.1-42218

- Lo ader version and model: redpill-tool-chain-master

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - Msi B360m Pro-vd / Intel Celeron G5400 Gold / 4Gb ram DDR-4

- Additional comments: Reboot required

dsm7.thumb.jpg.c919d809e98d9de89d10d994bacdc302.jpg

• Like 1

@pocopico@IG-88Hello two great gods, I have some questions about i915.ko, I want to get help from you two, why do you need to use patches to support hardware decoding for the 11th and 12th generation CPUs, instead of using Intel's official open source driver? What about compiling i915.ko? Shouldn't the i915.ko compiled through the compilation be more perfect in theory?

Le 04/09/2021 à 12:24, tocinillo2 a dit :

Compiled 7.0.1 with last BSP patch and works perfect ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CqqhO-TBdwOff0dH54iP-XPdrhzgvtNR/view?usp=sharing

- Add UEFI support.
- Deleted twice EFI folder.
- Fixed SynoBoot_EFI place.
- Compiled with last BSP Patch for 7.0.1.
- Insmod efi_gop into EFI.
- Tested with Baremetal and works fine (Astock 3455-ITX).
- After installation (the reboot process can take 15-20 minutes) you have to install File Station manually: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download/DS918+#system (select DSM 7.0), find and download File Station SPK and install it in Package Center.

1RZ3yro.jpg

I am interested by a working on for ASrock J5005-ITX.
If someone have one of them, i can be really nice.

3 hours ago, wt19891207 said:

@pocopico@IG-88Hello two great gods, I have some questions about i915.ko, I want to get help from you two, why do you need to use patches to support hardware decoding for the 11th and 12th generation CPUs, instead of using Intel's official open source driver? What about compiling i915.ko? Shouldn't the i915.ko compiled through the compilation be more perfect in theory?

Yes in theory, but It does not compile at all using the released sources. So the only viable option is the hexedit and patch the original compiled i915 to match your PCIID.

33 minutes ago, Sabrina said:

Hi all.

I try to compile but I still have the same problem on Proxmox - CT templates Ubuntu-21.10-standard_21.10-1

Please watch the short video.

The same method on Proxmox - Ubuntu Desktop in VM works perfectly, no errors, I get the image file.

Do you have an idea ?

Thanks

You are not able to create loop devices, i think only root can do so. Either run as root or sudo 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wt19891207 said:

, I want to get help from you two, why do you need to use patches to support hardware decoding for the 11th and 12th generation CPUs, instead of using Intel's official open source driver? What about compiling i915.ko? Shouldn't the i915.ko compiled through the compilation be more perfect in theory?

the intel drivers would need backporting to older kernels and as synology mods the kernel there own way ...

jun did a i915 backport and later with 6.2.3 used (more or less) the same source but did there own implementation of the backport, breaking jun's driver, so with 6.2.3 its needed to remove jun's driver (my extra.lzma takes care of that)

this older i915 version does not support 9th or up, synology only intended to get 918+/920+ working (920+ is gemini lake), i guess they wanted to limit the work to backport and choose a old version

if any one  backports newer i915 to synology kernel source ...

jun never published his i915 port as source but synology has its driver in the 6.2.3 source to by comparing it to intels original one could see what was changed

6.2.4 and 7.0 still have the same old i915 driver, the only way that might change that could be a new 920+ successor on intel base (elkhart lake, jasper lake?), they would need to use a newer i915 driver, so it might be solved later in 2022 by itself (there are references in 7.0 toolchain to jasper lake, ice lake and tiger lake aka 10/11th gen but that does not say much if we will see any support for newer i915 driver, that might only be experiments and development that never gets to a released product)

the only interesting unit so far for 2022 is the DVA1622 and that will have a nvidia (or google?) accelerator and whatever cpu is in that unit will not rely on the internal gpu of the cpu

as long as no one with kernel coding ability's comes forward we have to rely on patching and there are sure limits as we have seen with 10th gen, as long as the iGPU is a 610/630 design it might work, he have not tried different pci id's for 10th and up, maybe there is a id in the old driver that works with the newer iteration of 610/630, some one with a cpu like that might try it, i gave some comments about that in the additional driver 6.2.3 thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrina said:

Hi all.

I try to compile but I still have the same problem on Proxmox - CT templates Ubuntu-21.10-standard_21.10-1

Please watch the short video.

The same method on Proxmox - Ubuntu Desktop in VM works perfectly, no errors, I get the image file.

Do you have an idea ?

Thanks

nevermind 

Edited by Aigor

2 minutes ago, Sabrina said:

yes, there is losetup command in ubuntu.
Should I do something in particular?

Thank you

Well the message says it fails to setup loop device, i thought maybe you dont have losetup although the build command checks for the existence of all the required commands. It needs a lot of troubleshooting. Why dont you try tinycore-redpill instead ? 

5 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Well the message says it fails to setup loop device, i thought maybe you dont have losetup although the build command checks for the existence of all the required commands. It needs a lot of troubleshooting. Why dont you try tinycore-redpill instead ? 

I will try tiny core-red pill instead Do you have any documentation?

Thank you

I was successful at installing DSM 7 (3615xs) on a TheCUS N5550.  There were zero issues doing the install.  I configured 5 drives in RAID 6.  The system repeatedly would lock up or reboot over the next 2 days.   I used the TinyCore config tool so I'm not sure what it built.  I was using Jun's loader on this same NAS for the past few years with no issues with DSM 6.