XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

9 hours ago, foxbat said:

Hello,

I try to install the DS3615xs version but not joy

stuck on 56% , file corupted.

What I'm doing wrong please? ( esx 7, nic e1000e, sata mode)

Thank you

This says nothing wether you imported the img as vmdk and use sata boot, or use an usb stick and still try to use sata boot.

If you use the vmdk and specificly selected sata boot in grub, it should work.

The 56% file corrupted problem typicaly hits those that use usb boot and have a wrong pid/vid - in the vmdk/sata boot case the pid/vid is irrelavant. 

Edited by haydibe

Thank you very much. but..I use sata boot mode .

if I try with usb, installation fail sooner ( try to install on disk1 instead 2 as in sata mode).

ds3615xs.

I try even to update the running 6,2.3 instance but same rezult ( by replace the boot vmdk (june bl) with redpill one.

if anyone have VM exported...just my 2 cents

thank you

18 минут назад, painkiller895 сказал:

Did you get it working ??? What loader DS version did you use DS3615 or DS918 , i don't think DS918 work work with that chip set...

Now, when connected, I have this picture:

image.thumb.png.10fd3f91f1d6694a53ee477f4f15a5da.png

If I press "Recover", after blinking the HDD indicator a little, the computer goes to reboot, then the same picture ...
Before trying to install DSM 7, on the same computer I installed DSM 6.2.3 with Jun's 1.03b bootloader and everything worked great!

And yes, I am using the bootloader for 3615.

Edited by idle

On 1/5/2022 at 9:55 AM, loveburn said:

...but in Storage manager can view only 4x HDD but the system detects all storages... like on photo bellow... so question is @Can i extend the drives info ? or it's normaly for 918+??? best regards....

It's fine. I have the same. 6SATA 4TBs in SHR active but the graph shows only 4 but that's also the graph presenting a DS 918+

On 1/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, olivierfar74 said:

the pc programmed from dsm 7 but I woke it up with my router in Wake on LAN.

I have same issue. It doesn't wake up from the scheduler. The "advanced power manager for DSM7" (community add-on) won't help for wake (But it is very intelligent for shutdown though LOOK INTO IT). A possible solution is to program only the shutdown from the scheduler or "advanced power manager for DSM7". I think the wake-up time can be configured from the bios of your Asrock J5005 Mobo. If you want to overrule you can use WOL which works for me. With the Synology Assist first wait the NAS is booted and configure WOLs MAC address.

• Like 1

Anybody knows if it is possible to add the ALSA drivers back into DSM 7.x? I have a Technics SU-G700 with an internal DAC which was connected to my NAS using USB audio within DSM 6.2.x Synology has abandoned USB audio support in DSM 7 but I tried VMs with mini linux distro's to reenable ALSA again but the USB virtualised is not usable for stream a DSD audio track. Much too slow. 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, oddball said:

So just a quick followup on this - got RedPill (jumkey's fork - DS918+) up and running with DSM 7.0.1 on ESXi 7.0 VM with e1000e + SATA PCI passthrough and it 'just works', only had to set these parameters to ensure bootloader drive is not visible in the UI. The loader image attached to port 1 on virtual SATA adapter and every other 'real' disk is using 3x SATA controllers from the motherboard in PCI passthrough mode (16x ports in total).

"DiskIdxMap": "1000",
    "SataPortMap": "1",

No crashes, freezes, or anything weird in dmesg. As far as I can tell, everything is functional (not touching Docker though, don't need it on NAS).

New btrfs features like zstd compression work as expected. I have done a few stress tests / rebuilds (pulling disks etc.) with ~ 20TB pool - no issues.

I am pleasantly surprised, was expecting doom and gloom (unstable messy alpha-quality code) based on the previous posts here and while there might be some bugs lurking somewhere still, at least on ESXi the RedPill loader seems to be as stable as Jun's one at this point.

On a random physical hardware this thing might be more of a hit and miss, I suppose.

Will test more, but since loader does not interfere with operation of Synology software, in the worst case if this thing explodes, the fix would be just to pull the drives from ESXi host and place them in a real Synology hardware (or re-assemble the array on Ubuntu or similar)

Can you share how you did that? Got 2 LSI2008 HBA and a x540T2 but the Installer sais: Error 13 I am on esxi too, got the image converted to VMDK via V2V converter. What’s the Mess???

Booted also in Promox with converted IMG attached as a Disk, same Message at 56%

HBA pass Through, the X540 too

What am I doing wrong?

3615xs image File of the Pill, with MPT2 expansion by @pocopico

Anybody got a clue what I can do to resolve this an get this installed?

Edited by Kaneske

5 hours ago, Kaneske said:

Can you share how you did that? Got 2 LSI2008 HBA and a x540T2 but the Installer sais: Error 13 I am on esxi too, got the image converted to VMDK via V2V converter. What’s the Mess???

Booted also in Promox with converted IMG attached as a Disk, same Message at 56%

HBA pass Through, the X540 too

What am I doing wrong?

3615xs image File of the Pill, with MPT2 expansion by @pocopico

Anybody got a clue what I can do to resolve this an get this installed?

I also encountered this problem. Once I integrate intel igxbe and lsi mpt driver, I won't be able to boot in ESXi with x550-t2 and lsi both in passthrough mode.

If I exclude the igxbe driver when compiling boot loader, or, disable passthrough of igxbe, everything works fine.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Happy new year 😛

Is someone running Synology OS with DS3615xs redpill loader under EXSI 7.0U3, all hosted on a GEN8 server ?

Does it work with network drivers for vxnet3 & e1000e please :) ?

Thank you

Edited by spikexp31

1 minute ago, spikexp31 said:

Hi everyone,

Happy new year 😛

Is someone running Synology OS with DS3615xs redpill loader under EXSI 7.0U3, all hosted on a GEN8 server ?

Does it work with network drivers for vxnet & e1000e please :) ?

Thank you

DS918p ESXI 7.0U3 vmxnet3 works fine, add  vmxnet3 driver to loader

16 hours ago, Kaneske said:

@vikikang so you compile the 3615xs version for 7.0.1-41228 with mpt drivers, go for a VM and passthrough your HBA without the X550 and it installs?

Yes. It works fine as long as the x550 isn't been passthrough. For unknown reason vm won't boot if I passthrough the x550. For workaround, I have to use vmxnet3. The HBA is fine.

13 hours ago, Mixpower said:

Also update to 7.0.1-42218 Update 1, works fine on my Gen8 baremetal.

Update is only 6,47MB so minor fixes, won't brick RedPill!

You applied the update from within DSM without redoing redpill? Wondering if it's safe to just apply the update 🤷🏾‍♂️

Sorry for the duplicate posts, not sure why it did that.  Can someone please delete them?

Edited by toyanucci