XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

Hello all,

Does anyone be kind to me and make me a full tutorial to build an image for my HP MicroServ GEN8 NAS ?

I'm totally noob in dev but i know how to build a linux VM to execute some scripts.

I'd just like to know the good options/extensions to add to make a good daily use build for my NAS.

Or maybe just post something in the tutorial section for all the noobs like me :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ozef said:

Hello all,

Does anyone be kind to me and make me a full tutorial to build an image for my HP MicroServ GEN8 NAS ?

I'm totally noob in dev but i know how to build a linux VM to execute some scripts.

I'd just like to know the good options/extensions to add to make a good daily use build for my NAS.

Or maybe just post something in the tutorial section for all the noobs like me :)

Hey Ozef, redpill really isn't ready for daily use yet. It's still considered alpha quality code with risks of instability or data loss.

To protect users who aren't so technically able you won't find such step-by-step tutorials until the code is more stable.

I appreciate that this is a huge and unwieldy thread now, but you'd do well to search for ThorGroup's posts and at least have a read through them, along with haydibe's scripts for running redpoll-load in docker.

Add to this nobody's seen the primary developer of the project (ThorGroup) for almost 2 months now and I wouldn't be rushing to install this just yet unless you've got something to offer as a developer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Nothing special. I just enabled it in DSM:

image.thumb.png.b77e5cdfc316acbb60546f2951335ab5.png

Hmm. I only see 1300, 1400 and 1500 in the mtu value list. If I enter any value above 1500, it intantly results in an error that indicates the mtu must be between 1300 and 1500. Is it because of Virtio-Io simply lacks that feature (even though I can use it on various other linux vms without issues), or is it because Synology withholds jumboframes from its consumer grade products?!  

@WiteWulf thank you for sharing the details :)

2 hours ago, u357 said:

First loader in USB,     

edit the grub.cfg , add those object in red into the line that was already in there

linux /zImage HddHotplug=0 withefi console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=2 syno_hdd_detect=0 syno_port_thaw=1 DiskIdxMap=0C00 SataPortMap=42 SasIdxMap=1 vender_format_version=2 mac2=000000000000 earlyprintk mac1=001000000000 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 pid=0x5591 log_buf_len=32M syno_hw_version=DS918+ vid=0x0781 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 sn=1780PDN123456 elevator=elevator root=/dev/md0 loglevel=15 

There is no need to perfom manual changes in the grub.cfg.

Just do what @shibbywrote about the setting in your user_config.json (needs to be set BEFORE the image is build!):

4 hours ago, shibby said:

try this one: add to extra_cmdline

"DiskIdxMap": "00",
    "SataPortMap": "4",
    "SasIdxMap": "0"

But this time try different values. This setting IS system specific - and you should set as many `SataPortMap` slots (shibby's example shows 1 controller with 4 port, u357's example shows two controller, one with 4 ports and a second controller with 2 port) as you have in your system and adjust the position of the first harddisk on the controllers using `DiskIdxMap` (shibby's example starts with Disk1 (hexdecimal representation of 0) on the single 4 port controller, which makes the disk for the next existing controller start from 5 ; u357's example start with Disk 14 (hex representation of 13) on the first 4 port controller, disk 1 (hex representation of 0) one the second controller with 2 ports...

The DiskIdxMap is the two digit hex representation of "drive number - 1" for the first disk of each controller.

The SataPortMap is a single decimal digit representation of the number of ports for each controller.

Maker sure both values are in sync: if you declare 3 Controllers in SataPortMap, make sure to declare 3 DiskIdxMap settings as well.

I am quite sure that a short forum search will provide the right documentation that explains SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap in detail.

Edited by haydibe
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, haydibe said:

There is no need to perfom manual changes in the grub.cfg.

Just do what @shibbywrote about the setting in your user_config.json (needs to be set BEFORE the image is build!):

But this time try different values. This setting IS system specific - and you should set as many `SataPortMap` slots (shibby's example shows 1 controller with 4 port, u357's example shows two controller, one with 4 ports and a second controller with 2 port) as you have in your system and adjust the position of the first harddisk on the controllers using `DiskIdxMap` (shibby's example starts with Disk1 (hexdecimal representation of 0) on the single 4 port controller, which makes the disk for the next existing controller start from 5 ; u357's example start with Disk 14 (hex representation of 13) on the first 4 port controller, disk 1 (hex representation of 0) one the second controller with 2 ports...

The DiskIdxMap is the two digit hex representation of "drive number - 1" for the first disk of each controller.

The SataPortMap is a single decimal digit representation of the number of ports for each controller.

Maker sure both values are in sync: if you declare 3 Controllers in SataPortMap, make sure to declare 3 DiskIdxMap settings as well.

I am quite sure that a short forum search will provide the right documentation that explains SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap in detail.

@haydibe i'm a noob on this, help me to find correct id 

hp z230 

116D6FC9-A8BE-4A64-8395-5A9123EB191E.heic

43 minutes ago, haydibe said:

@devid79 The picture does not tell how many controllers are found. please share the output of these three commands:

lspci -k | grep -EiA2 'SATA|SCSI'
ls /dev/sd?
cat /proc/scsi/sg/devices

@haydibe

this is the 3 command

lspci -k | grep -EiA2 'SATA|SCSI'

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci

ls /dev/sd?

/dev/sda
with only 1 HDD on BLUE PORT SATA 0

cat /proc/scsi/sg/devices

0       0       0       0       0       1       32      0       1

i wait you thx a lot

8 hours ago, devid79 said:

Hello Guys,

I have HP Z230 with this configuration

• Intel Xeon e5-1225 v3 
  • 32 GB DDR3 1600MHZ
  • 6 port SATA 0,1,2,3,4,5
  • BIos L51 v01.63

i use for image the last  ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto bromolow-7.0.1-42218

#############################################
filename:       /opt/redpill-lkm/redpill.ko
license:        GPL
version:        v0.5-at-2021_11_22-10_25_50
author:         TTG
retpoline:      Y
srcversion:     9D5817BD80754EFE921A0AC
depends:
vermagic:       3.10.108 SMP mod_unload

with this user_config.json

Using user_config.json:
{
   "extra_cmdline": {
    "pid": "0x0951",
    "vid": "0x1607",
    "netif_num": "4",
    "sn": "1610LWN022200",
    "mac1": "001132xxxxxx",
    "mac2": "001132xxxxxx",
    "mac3": "001132xxxxxx",
    "mac4": "001132xxxxxx"
},
"synoinfo": {
    "maxlanport": "4",
},
"ramdisk_copy": {},
"extensions": []
}#############################################

}#############################################
/opt/redpill-load /opt
[#] Checking runtime for required tools... [OK]
[#] Updating extensions...

[#] Extension thethorgroup.boot-wait is already installed from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tossp/rp-ext/master/redpill-boot-wait/rpext-index.json
[#] Updating thethorgroup.boot-wait extension...
[#] Downloading remote file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tossp/rp-ext/master/redpill-boot-wait/rpext-index.json to /opt/redpill-load/custom/extensions/_new_ext_index.tmp_json
######################################################################## 100.0%

[#] Extension thethorgroup.boot-wait index is already up to date
[#] Updating thethorgroup.boot-wait extension... [OK]
[#] Updating ds3615xs_42218 platforms extensions...
[#] Downloading remote file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-boot-wait/master/recipes/universal.json to /opt/redpill-load/custom/extensions/_ext_new_rcp.tmp_json
######################################################################## 100.0%

[#] Extension thethorgroup.boot-wait for ds3615xs_42218 platform is already up to date
[#] Updating ds3615xs_42218 platforms extensions... [OK]
[#] Updating extensions... [OK]
[#] Verifying /opt/redpill-load/cache/ds3615xs_42218.pat file... [OK]
[#] Unpacking /opt/redpill-load/cache/ds3615xs_42218.pat file to /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/pat-ds3615xs_42218-unpacked... [OK]
[#] Verifying /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/pat-ds3615xs_42218-unpacked/zImage file... [OK]
[#] Patching /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/pat-ds3615xs_42218-unpacked/zImage to /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/zImage-patched... [OK]
[#] Verifying /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/pat-ds3615xs_42218-unpacked/rd.gz file... [OK]
[#] Unpacking /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/pat-ds3615xs_42218-unpacked/rd.gz file to /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/rd-ds3615xs_42218-unpacked... [OK]
[#] Apply patches to /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/rd-ds3615xs_42218-unpacked... [OK]
[#] Patching config files in ramdisk... [OK]
[#] Adding OS config patching... [OK]
[#] Repacking ramdisk to /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/rd-patched-ds3615xs_42218.gz... [OK]
[#] Bundling extensions... [#] Checking runtime for required tools... [OK]
[#] Dumping ds3615xs_42218 platform extensions to /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/custom-initrd/exts... [OK]
[#] Packing custom ramdisk layer to /opt/redpill-load/build/1637576756/custom.gz... [OK]
[#] Generating GRUB config... [OK]
[#] Creating loader image at /opt/redpill-load/images/redpill-DS3615xs_7.0.1-42218_b1637576756.img... [OK]
[#] Cleaning up... [OK]

the image start and open webconfiguration to ip:5000 but the problem is this

hard disk errors were detected(2,3,4,5) ; sata ports have been disabled. 

Help me Please🙏

I'm still thinking that your vid and pid are mixed up/exchanged.

vid (vendor id) for Kingston usb stick is 0951, pid (product id) is 1607 (your config file shows vid=1607, pid=0951). In the config file you have to fill pid first, then vid. That is a little bit unusual, so check twice that they are correct.

I mixed up vid and pid some time ago and had similar problem, that only one of 4 drives was seen. With correct vid and pid it worked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, devid79 said:

9413018_Schermata2021-11-22alle19_11_31.thumb.png.e492795d70e0f5147e026ccd5a8413f5.png

I don't know that mainboard, but if there is no additional sata controller I would guess that the ports should have the same order as printed on pcb (sata0 = 1st and so on). If there is a second sata controller, that may be different.

edit: I just searched a bit and it seems the mainboard has an Intel C226 chipset. That supports 6 sata ports, so I think there is no additional sata controller. I don't see sata4, maybe there is a header and no socket? Or e-sata?

Edited by paro44

Hello guys,

After 2 days and 8h of trying to get the last version of DSM 7.0.1 I really made it.

Recommend https://github.com/tossp/redpill-tool-chain

Without fails and everything is working and is really easy to get drivers and put them in the image.

Thanks for hard work to made this DSM alive again for end users.

Good Luck BR

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, paro44 said:

vid (vendor id) for Kingston usb stick is 0951, pid (product id) is 1607 (your config file shows vid=1607, pid=0951). In the config file you have to fill pid first, then vid. That is a little bit unusual, so check twice that they are correct.

I mixed up vid and pid some time ago and had similar problem, that only one of 4 drives was seen. With correct vid and pid it worked.

@paro44thx, but with or without  this? i exchange vip and pid, i correct the vid and pid

"SataPortMap": "2",

Edited by devid79

37 minutes ago, paro44 said:

Same error sata port 2 

6 hours ago, reziel84 said:

hi pocopico and at first thanks for your support.

i just set: redpill disk sata controller 0 sataport 0:0 and add a second disk sata controller 1 and sataport 1:0. correct?

i have the same error, i just add new serial.out, please could you help me?

serial.out 328.67 kB · 1 download

can you someone help me please? i don't understand the error. on vmware workstation works correctly. on vmware esxi i receive this error.

maybe @WiteWulf can help me? i think you are a redpill-guru :)

Edited by reziel84

28 minutes ago, devid79 said:

@paro44thx, but with or without  this? i exchange vip and pid, i correct the vid and pid

"SataPortMap": "2",

I never touched or changed that values. When I had that problem I downloaded the tool-chain again (v0.10 I think), cleaned the downloaded cached files with the command in tool-chain, and started from scratch. With pid and vid in correct order it worked then for me.

Maybe the chipset C226 is to new for the DS3615xs kernel and you need to add a driver for it? My nas has Intel ICH7R that is working ootb with the kernel.

11 hours ago, reziel84 said:

can you someone help me please? i don't understand the error. on vmware workstation works correctly. on vmware esxi i receive this error.

maybe @WiteWulf can help me? i think you are a redpill-guru :)

This time the boot looks clear. You have a 169.xx IP which is in the APIPA range. You need a DHCP server on your network to get an IP or assign the network interface to a network that has DHCP server.

VMware player/workstation has this function embedded for some VMnets, ESXi does not.

Edited by pocopico

21 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

5shthj.jpg

You need to make it yourself because the boot images contain copyrighted software belonging to Synology.

The whole point of redpill-load is to enable people to build their own custom boot image using the software Synology make publicly available without redistributing that same Synology software with associated legal problems.

Please don't ask for images and please don't provide them if anyone asks.

got it, thanks

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

5shthj.jpg

You need to make it yourself because the boot images contain copyrighted software belonging to Synology.

The whole point of redpill-load is to enable people to build their own custom boot image using the software Synology make publicly available without redistributing that same Synology software with associated legal problems.

Please don't ask for images and please don't provide them if anyone asks.

I totally understand and agree with you.

Maybe your standard response post to people requesting images could include a link to instructions about how to build their own image (if these are available anywhere). I guess the GH from @ThorGroup? Or maybe the GH from @tossp?

(just my 2¢)

Best,

-a-

Edited by asheenlevrai

I want to thank the whole community for the support they have given me these days. I am available to share the solution I found.
Thanks again I will always stay in this forum.
You are great 😍

HP Z230 32 GB RAM 

🙏

Cattura.thumb.PNG.f00dd0c1aafc0a6fa5fbe59ad9d148cc.PNG

{
   "extra_cmdline": {
    "vid": "0x0951",
    "pid": "0x1607",
    "netif_num": "4",
    "sn": "1720LWN022200",
    "mac1": "001132614DED",
    "mac2": "001132617DEE",
    "mac3": "001132617DEF",
    "mac4": "001132617DE0",
    "SataPortMap": "3",
},
"synoinfo": {
    "maxlanport": "4",
    "internalportcfg": "0xfff",
    "esataportcfg": "0xff000",
    "maxdisks": "12"
},
"ramdisk_copy": {},
"extensions": []
}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

This time the boot looks clear. You have a 169.xx IP which is in the APIPA range. You need a DHCP server on your network to get an IP or assign the network interface to a network that has DHCP server.

VMware player/workstation has this function embedded for some VMnets, ESXi does not.

many thanks for your support. i need to change nic from e1000e to vmxnet3 and now i'm able to find diskstation 7.0.1 in my network. i try to install .pat but at the end synology assistant give me an error. in the state there's "RECOVERABLE". if i try to recover the assistant tell me "impossible to recover systemn" but i don't understand the problem now.

please see picture below

immagine.thumb.png.a2308c917684d4c6a477b47f5033e7cb.png

Il y a 19 heures, WiteWulf a dit :

Hey Ozef, redpill really isn't ready for daily use yet. It's still considered alpha quality code with risks of instability or data loss.

To protect users who aren't so technically able you won't find such step-by-step tutorials until the code is more stable.

I appreciate that this is a huge and unwieldy thread now, but you'd do well to search for ThorGroup's posts and at least have a read through them, along with haydibe's scripts for running redpoll-load in docker.

Add to this nobody's seen the primary developer of the project (ThorGroup) for almost 2 months now and I wouldn't be rushing to install this just yet unless you've got something to offer as a developer.

Hello, i understand !! Thank you for answering :)

And thanks to all dev working on that to make it stable.

1 hour ago, devid79 said:

I want to thank the whole community for the support they have given me these days. I am available to share the solution I found.
Thanks again I will always stay in this forum.
You are great 😍

HP Z230 32 GB RAM 

🙏

may be obfuscate your mac and pid/vid...you never know ;-)