XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

Il y a 1 heure, mexmet a dit :

How to make own img file? 
I dont understand at 1. page. is there any video we can look at and make?

You can try great @haydibe's tool redpill-helper

Le 24/10/2021 à 22:13, haydibe a dit :

This update of the redpill_tool_chain helper is long overdue.  From now on the name will be redpill-helper, as it realy is just a helper for redpill-lkm and redpill-load.

You can find the redpill-helper v0.12 attached to this post.

It now supports an "ext" action, which delegates the commands to the ext-manager.sh script inside a container.

The extensions are cached on the host, thus extensions need to be added only once and will apply for all build profiles!

This should put an end to the need to modify the script or to use the run action and add the extensions everytime a bootload image is build.

Additionaly a custom_config.json is introduced, which is the place to store your custom configurations - it needs to be created by yourself and won't be overriden by any future updates of the rp-helper. 

Please read the README.md for usage instructions.

Thanks at Pocopico, WiteWulf and Orphée for testing it thoroughly! Special thanks to WiteWulf for helping me to transform the README.md to a usefull document :)

redpill-helper-v0.12.zip 12 Ko · 494 downloads

Edited by buggy25200
  • Like 2

Il y a 2 heures, mexmet a dit :

How to make own img file? 
I dont understand at 1. page. is there any video we can look at and make?

Il y a 5 heures, pedroj666 a dit :

Where is the img file?

I can't find it anywhere!

Today there is no production version. In this talk, we testing on different configurations/situations and try help main developers.

While development is in progress, and before a beta state, tutorials won't be produced. Today resourcefulness required !

Also this forom will not be a place where prefabricated images will be available for download. Only the tools making possible portage DSM will be offered.

Edited by buggy25200

3 hours ago, fly said:

you need to make it by youre self because everyone has own setup. 

You need to make it yourself because the boot images contain copyrighted software belonging to Synology.

The whole point of redpill-load is to enable people to build their own custom boot image using the software Synology make publicly available without redistributing that same Synology software with associated legal problems.

Please don't ask for images and please don't provide them if anyone asks.

Edited by WiteWulf

12 hours ago, seanone said:

Don't agree that, developer also need much more testers to test it, software is useless without users.

Yes, but devs need technically experienced and capable users who can follow detailed instructions and provide good quality feedback and diagnostics beyond "it doesn't work".

If you can't follow the instructions to build redpill-lkm and redpill-load at the moment you're not ready for testing it, sorry.

7 hours ago, Bender said:

Hi, is there any information whether the 10 gigabit network works in Proxmox?

redpill (3615xs) + virtio drivers = network 10gb in Proxmox?

I get stable (close to) 10gbps with DSM7 on Proxmox 7 with a Mellanox Connectx-3 card. Though, only tested it with DS918+

Edited by haydibe
  • Like 1

Yes, but devs need technically experienced and capable users who can follow detailed instructions and provide good quality feedback and diagnostics beyond "it doesn't work".

If you can't follow the instructions to build redpill-lkm and redpill-load at the moment you're not ready for testing it, sorry.

My point exactly, technically capable users yes, everyone else no just leave it to the experts, be patient and it will happen.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:02 AM, paro44 said:

Even with a stable loader I would not try to upgrade the working system without a backup of the data.

Write here what hardware you use (mainboard, nic, hdd, sata or sas adapter,...). If your nas is booting but not seen in your network, probably the nic is not supported. Try with an Intel nic (if you have).

But first make a backup.

What are people using to make that backup? And is it a full system backup including all files?

Just curious how people would anticipate performing a full recovery in the event things went pear shaped.

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

just a reminder we are in the section "Developer Discussion Room" - any further questions? ;-)

about >80% of the posts are offtopic and i'm not counting myself as "developer" because i'm not committing any code to the git in question so ....

As i am not a developer, i will not be posting here. Is there a Non-Dev discussion group that is elsewhere for this topic does anyone know of? Thanks

Edited by Captainfingerbang
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

just a reminder we are in the section "Developer Discussion Room" - any further questions? ;-)

about >80% of the posts are offtopic and i'm not counting myself as "developer" because i'm not committing any code to the git in question so ....

Absolutely! I think it was mentioned at one point that support issues could be dealt with in another thread/section, but the phrase "that ship's already sailed" was mentioned.

I can't speak for them, obviously, but I think TTG's intention was for this thread to be much shorter-lived and lower traffic, with proper support and discussion threads elsewhere on the forum once redpill came out of alpha. Development has maybe been slower than anticipated and this thread has grown way beyond manageable, imho. At 122 pages we can't seriously expect newcomers to read the whole thread and be up to date on procedures and politics (for want of a better word).

We need an updated project FAQ at the bare minimum, and separation of development and support threads. But this isn't my project and I don't want to tread on TTG's toes, wherever they are...

• Like 5

В 15.11.2021 в 20:14, haydibe сказал:

I get stable (close to) 10gbps with DSM7 on Proxmox 7 with a Mellanox Connectx-3 card. Though, only tested it with DS918+

Card is passthrough directly into Dsm 7 or it is a card Proxmox? Interested in the speed in the Virtual Network between VM.

20 minutes ago, Bender said:

Card is passthrough directly into Dsm 7 or it is a card Proxmox? Interested in the speed in the Virtual Network between VM.

No Passthrough, PVE uses the nic directly. All my vm's use virtio-vnics. The RP DS918+ DSM7 vm uses the build-in virtio-driver provided by RP. Speed amongst VM's with virtio-vnics on the same PVE host is about 25Gbps. Accross nodes, it is limited by the 10gbps connection.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 7:24 AM, Brunox said:

Hello, if I remember reading correctly, there was a limitation of the hard disk to 2 TB on ESXI, is that still true? or am I confusing something?

Yes I encountered that too in the past with RAW device mapping / Mapping disks straight to the VM instead of using the datastore which can't be used sometimes for various reasons. Don't know if this is still an issue... lets find out ...  it looks that if you use a recent ESXi you don't have a 2TB limit but a 62 / 64TB limit. 

You can find out. Just install esxi on another disk enable the current XPenology version as a VM and see if you can boot your Baremetal as VM which is a challenge.