XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

28 minutes ago, Soniccube said:

Why not open source the redpill-helper to github? It would be more convenient for developing and publish.

No, problem I can continue to repeast myself: It is as open source as it can get: do whatever you like with it, I don't claim any ownership, in fact if you push it github, I would like to ask you to not add any reference to my nick.

I am not realy keen in having a "pet project" putting my day2day job at risk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soniccube said:

Why not open source the redpill-helper to github? It would be more convenient for developing and publish.

It's just a script and some config files, everything is there for you to see in the downloaded zip file. No compiled code, no obfuscation, and Haydibe has given his blessing for people to do whatever they want with the code so long as they're (haydibe) not linked with it outside of this site.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone done an in-place update yet, ie. gone from one version to another, downloaded and installed from within the control panel?

Can it be done and do you need to create a new boot image?

My ESXi guest was running apollolake-7.0-41890 and offering to update to 7.0.1-42218. I downloaded and installed it and it seemed to install okay but I had no networking afterwards. I got logged in on the virtual serial console and tried reconfiguring networking but with no success. I eventually rolled it back (I'd taken a snapshot before trying).

2 hours ago, haydibe said:

No, problem I can continue to repeast myself: It is as open source as it can get: do whatever you like with it, I don't claim any ownership, in fact if you push it github, I would like to ask you to not add any reference to my nick.

I am not realy keen in having a "pet project" putting my day2day job at risk.

got you.

thanks so much.

TTG have been silent for about a month now. Their last update is the last anyone's heard from them around here. The GitHub repos are still there, though, so it's unlikely to have been anything legal/takedown related. They mentioned some unexpected personal issues at one point, so I guess life has gotten in the way :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

TTG have been silent for about a month now. Their last update is the last anyone's heard from them around here. The GitHub repos are still there, though, so it's unlikely to have been anything legal/takedown related. They mentioned some unexpected personal issues at one point, so I guess life has gotten in the way :)

given the configuration of the repo, it seems unlikely to me to prove that they are the owners of the repo. Also, requesting repo shutdown from github takes time. On the other hand, a legal letter from Synology can indeed claim the ardor. We all remember Jun's sudden disappearance ... anyway, the hardest work has been done by TTG, and so thanks to them :)

56 minutes ago, fly said:

btw according to IG-88 last  Github update was on 31th Oct.

NB. GitHub considers additions/updates to "Issues" and pull requests as updates. There have been no commits to redpill-lkm or redpill-load for much longer. redpill-extensions never seems to have had any pull requests accepted (which was meant to be the mechanism by which extension were submitted to the project).

The user "ttg-public" hasn't been active on GitHub since the 3rd of October when they created "RedPill-TTG/redpill-sas-activator", and they haven't been active on this site since October 8th.

I remain hopeful they'll return...but have cloned all the GitHub repos to be safe.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

I remain hopeful they'll return...but have cloned all the GitHub repos to be safe.

14 hours ago, RedwinX said:

anyway, the hardest work has been done by TTG, and so thanks to them :)

In the past there have been various people asking for guides on how exactly all this works. There was (understandable) reluctance at the time based on where things were with development and the potential for tool that was (maybe) under development.

I know this 120 page thread has detail scattered throughout it that can help end users but is it worth while trying to produce a guide for the uninitiated (of which I would say I am one).

No dramas if not but just throwing it out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Franks4fingers said:

In the past there have been various people asking for guides on how exactly all this works. There was (understandable) reluctance at the time based on where things were with development and the potential for tool that was (maybe) under development.

I know this 120 page thread has detail scattered throughout it that can help end users but is it worth while trying to produce a guide for the uninitiated (of which I would say I am one).

No dramas if not but just throwing it out there.

While we are waiting for Thorgroups, perhaps we could use this break to write up a tutorial or a faq based on the information gathered so far?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, havast said:

Are you using a valid sn/mac? I have only a valid sn, and a generated mac. Maybe this is the problem? 

not valid sn. just generated, and random mac. 2 nic.

i can't understand you error

Edited by akh1

56 minutes ago, Aigor said:

Hi, do someone tried to perform in-place upgrade from DSM 6.2 to 7.1 into live system? 

Any hint apart backup of data? 

Thanks 

I didn't do in-place for 6.2.4 to 7.0.1, I booted my 6.2.4 system from a 7.0.1 usb stick and ran through a migration.

I tried in-place for 7.0 to 7.0.1, though, and that didn't work out well. See my post further back in the thread. I think the process may always need to be: boot from target version USB stick, then migrate.

6 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Could you explain what you did to solve it, please?

Others may come here later looking for a solution to the same problem, and this is one of the most frustrating replies to find :D

Bought a real sn/mac. (I have sold a lot of synology NAS, and got a lot of new customers for them, so i hope they can forgive me for this :) )Now it works.

• Like 1