XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

3 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Was PMS running at the time? It's basically a big database, so trying to back it up while running will give you errors re. locked files. You should be able to backup the media library locations with no problems, but the database backend will be problematic.

i tried also to stop it but didnt seem to be happy about it 😛

i will first move to latest version of dsm and may be give it another try

14 hours ago, Jotouriste said:

bonsoir, 

J'ai passer un NAS officiel 1010+ en Dsm 7 avec le redpill 

ça tourne impec il est reconnu comme un ds3615xs faut virer la carte flash interne et booter sur usb 

English here, otherwise its the French section in the forum :) 

2 hours ago, NooL said:

English here, otherwise its the French section in the forum :) 

Bit rude!

@Jotouriste merci beaucoup pour votre avis, mais le section française est plus appropriée.

Avez vous le kernel panic avec docker/database concernant https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/21 ?

Désolé pour ma pauvre "école d'anglais" français :D 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Bit rude!

@Jotouriste merci beaucoup pour votre avis, mais le section française est plus appropriée.

Avez vous le kernel panic avec docker/database concernant https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/21 ?

Désolé pour ma pauvre "école d'anglais" français :D 

Not sure how you would find that rude, but okay... 

I'm using Unraid and running VM with 6.2 jun loader without any issues passing HBA controller and 10gb nic, this part is fine.

I tried creating a new VM using RP and DSM 7, I'm able to boot, find and start the setup however every time i get the same error: "Failed to install the file. The file is probable corrupted. (13)"

I tried passing the HBA controller directly, tried passing the disk using /dev/disk/by-id.... and tried just creating a vdisk img always getting the same error.

Using SATA I can see the HDs , using Virtio I can't

I tried different pat files as well

Any suggestions?

18 minutes ago, neonflx said:

I'm using Unraid and running VM with 6.2 jun loader without any issues passing HBA controller and 10gb nic, this part is fine.

I tried creating a new VM using RP and DSM 7, I'm able to boot, find and start the setup however every time i get the same error: "Failed to install the file. The file is probable corrupted. (13)"

I tried passing the HBA controller directly, tried passing the disk using /dev/disk/by-id.... and tried just creating a vdisk img always getting the same error.

Using SATA I can see the HDs , using Virtio I can't

I tried different pat files as well

Any suggestions?

Check your PID/VID of virtual pendrive on Unraid. It should be a problem.

It's quiet today, so, I'll as this question.

Does anyone have a definitive answer or even a pretty good idea as to why the face detection in Synology Photos works on 3615 but not on 918?

I have 2 KVM based VMs (on Unraid), identical except for the SNs and MAC addresses.   Redpill with JumKey's 7.0.1 develop branch

The 3615 VM finds faces with no errors.

The 918 VM gives the "synofoto-face-exctraction[] uncaught thread task exception /source/synofoto/src/daemon/plugin/plugin_worker.cpp:90 plugin init failed: /var/packages/SynologyPhotos/target/usr/lib/libsynophoto-plugin-face.so" error.

It does not seem related to SN/MAC address.  The 3615 SN is from the NS Generator and the 918 is an actual SN from a 918.

I am not using Synology MAC addresses.  Both are the ones that Unraid set.

I switched to SATA boot, but I get the same error situation.

The pkg-SynologyPhotos-face-extraction service is running.

systemctl status pkg-SynologyPhotos-face-extraction gives a little more info.

The error there just before the uncaught thread task exception is:

"Error: (face plugin) load network failed"

So, maybe MAC address is important on the 918, but not the 3615?

I'm going to change the MAC to the Synology MAC for that SN.

30 minutes ago, jhoughten said:

I switched to SATA boot, but I get the same error situation.

The pkg-SynologyPhotos-face-extraction service is running.

systemctl status pkg-SynologyPhotos-face-extraction gives a little more info.

The error there just before the uncaught thread task exception is:

"Error: (face plugin) load network failed"

So, maybe MAC address is important on the 918, but not the 3615?

I'm going to change the MAC to the Synology MAC for that SN.

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-load/issues/45

7 hours ago, Orphée said:

In proxmox with a HD5xx or HD6xx IGPU passthrough,this question can be solved.

The problem is opengl(which syno used to accelerate the facedetect) only use a i915 device with addr 00:02,and the default addr of proxmox passthrogh is 00:10.

So you can manually edit it in args: -device vfio-pci,host=00:02.0,addr=0x02,x-igd-opregion=on.

Remenber the i915 driver blacklist and vfio options in /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf must be done first.Or it will be a freeze on proxmox host,shutdown the autorun of DSM VM first before do above!

• Like 3

So, the Synology Photos package determines which platform it is running on.  

If it is running on a 3615, it does not use the acceleration method.  There is nothing special to be done on that platform.

If it is running on a 918, it "knows" that a 918 has the hardware to accelerate the face detection.  On the virtual platform, the acceleration fails and the face detection does not fall back to an unaccelerated detection.  It simply fails.

So we have to pass through hardware to allow that acceleration.  And we have to do it in a specific way for the package to use it.  

Should the loader even attempt to fix this, or is it outside of the scope of the RedPill?

26 minutes ago, mounsif said:

the formatting and the installation is going successfully but when restarted it back first page 'setup'

Can you share some additional details? Is this for passthrough of HBA card or you have individual disks? What's your json config for the build?

On PCI-E Passthrough, I had the same problem and gave up after trying multiple things. I was able to telnet and fdisk -l showed all the disks being there. I couldn't figure out why (even with help from experts on this forum). Hopefully, your situation is different but bit more details will help provide some options to explore.

• Like 1

Hello together,

I have read hundreds of posts here, but I still habe no success in booting my DSM 7.0.1 baremetal on my Intel NUC7i3 (just one M.2 SSD inside, nothing else).

This is what I did:

• downloaded https://github.com/tossp/redpill-tool-chain
  • created apollolake_user_config.json with VID, PID, SN, MAC
  • compiled redpill-DS918+_7.0.1-42218_b1635455689.img and wrote it on USB stick

Result:

• Image is booting and I can access it via Web Interface
  • "detected errors on the hard drives (2)"
  • tried several SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap combinations (00 1 / 0C 1 / etc...) in grub.cfg
    => either detected errors or no harddisk detected at all
  • tried to connect via telnet => connection refused
  • downloaded a redpill 42214 image from a post here and adapted VID, PID, SN, MAC => same problem

What is now the final solution of all these hints in these 116 pages to get rid of this problem? 😑

Thank you!

Edited by pipsen

2 hours ago, mounsif said:

srv: dell poweredge t420 

compile loder : redpill v0.11

Raid 1 = 4 hard disk sas 

global_config.json 5.67 kB · 7 downloads

Thank you. Global config is generic but can you also share the bromolow or Apollo user config as well? (please take out the serial number). 

Also, can you explain the Sas part of the comment? Are these SATA disks or Sas ?

Edited by urundai