XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

39 minutes ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi Wite Wulf which version from esxi you have in use on your esxi host?

thanks

7.0U2

NB. that's not on the HP Gen8 hardware I have in my sig, it's one of these:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c240-m4-rack-server/index.html

Edited by WiteWulf

23 minutes ago, scoobdriver said:

Interesting @Orphée I havn't updated from 6.7U3 to 7.0 due to my LSI / H220 HBA card not been supported. Do you use a HBA card ? 

If not which driver do you use for the b120i ? 

HBA mpt2sas does not work on ESXi 7. true...

BUT you can still passthrough the PCI card to a VM, then it is directly handled by the VM.

image.thumb.png.9fadb1534ace26f8608eb0f3b70497e4.png

So you can't see disks on ESXi host, you can't use RDM, but you can still passthrough the card.

Edit : my ESXi host is configured as this :

- ESXI Installed on USB key plugged on internal MB port

- Internal SAS b120i configured as AHCI, no raid.

- SSD 250Gb plugged on SATA MB ODD port (port 5 of MB SATA slots) (The only disk seen by ESXi host) as a datastore

- LSI HBA card IT mode

- SAS plug originally connected to MB now plugged on HBA card. 4 drives 4Tb on it.

Edited by Orphée

18 minutes ago, Orphée said:

BUT you can still passthrough the PCI card to a VM, then it is directly handled by the VM.

Thanks I wasn't aware of This ! .  I had wrongly assumed I wouldn't be able to pass it through on 7.0 , but if I can that's great , no datastore are on drives attached to this card 

So what I have is is a H220 HBA card in IT mode , 1 port connected to the Backplane (4 internal drives) (mini sas cable moved from the Motherboard to the HBA)

then another Mini SAS (SFF-8087) to 4 Sata on the other HBA SAS port to 3 SSD's . 

I have the onboard SAS connector (b120i) connected to a 4 Sata cable, (not yet utilised) , and a SATA SSD on the ODD port (5) 

So I could in theory pass my 4 HDD and 3 SSD to a Xpenology VM , and use the SSD on the ODD port for ESXi data store (with potential to add further 4 drives to the onboard mini SAS / b120i) 

@Orphée sooooo now my question is route to ESXi 7.0 ?

I previously installed HPE custom image for G8 MS and updated to 6.7U3 via iso , (rolled back the hpvsa driver to .88 scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib ) due to performance issue with later drivers. 

I don't believe any sci-hpvsa driver /vib is bundled with later then 6.7 ESXi images for the b120i , so did you do an upgrade from iso ? any custom HPE image ? 

(I run ESXi off the internal microsd card , as I switch between internal USB boot for baremetal, and MicroSd for ESXi testing. )

P.S apologies this is slightly Off topic .. 

I tried for bromolow

I have done the following steps:

1. ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0-41222

2. ./redpill_tool_chain.sh run bromolow-7.0-41222

3. cd ./redpill-load

4. ./ext-manager.sh add 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-sas-activator/master/rpext-index.json'

5. make -C /opt/ build_all

and result is (photo)
44a262c8e22ac56dddb198267b137e25.jpg

hope anyone know how to solve this
baremetal hp dl380g8 lsi sas2008

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#] Creating loader image at /opt/redpill-load/images/redpill-DS918+_7.0.1-42218_b1633537118.img... [ERR]
[!] Failed to copy /opt/redpill-load/build/1633537118/custom.gz to /opt/redpill-load/build/1633537118/img-mnt/part-1/custom.gz

/usr/bin/cp: error writing '/opt/redpill-load/build/1633537118/img-mnt/part-1/custom.gz': No space left on device

It prompts that the disk space is not enough, do I need to modify the size of the boot file?

48 minutes ago, psychoboi32 said:

I tried for bromolow

I have done the following steps:

1. ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0-41222

2. ./redpill_tool_chain.sh run bromolow-7.0-41222

3. cd ./redpill-load

4. ./ext-manager.sh add 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-sas-activator/master/rpext-index.json'

5. make -C /opt/ build_all

and result is (photo)
44a262c8e22ac56dddb198267b137e25.jpg

hope anyone know how to solve this
baremetal hp dl380g8 lsi sas2008

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

update 1 :- I added more drivers

pocopico.mpt2sas
pocopico.mpt3sas
pocopico.mptsas
REALLY_README.txt
thethorgroup.sas-activator

now error at 55% probably corrupt file

DSM was installed before but it didn't get those IDK

On 9/24/2021 at 2:47 PM, Orphée said:

With @haydibe help and validation, here is the redpill_tool_chain v0.11

redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.11.zip 9.8 kB · 373 downloads

Thanks @haydibe

On 9/27/2021 at 7:26 AM, spv4u1975 said:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work, the below is not my work but bits extracted from the thread so kudos to the posters. But this is what I used to get my machine booted.

I've just got this running on my baremetal ASROCK J3455-ITX MB with no modification.

Added the below to global config for RedPill tool chain v0.11

Updated apollolake_user_config.json with device information VID/PID MAC/Serial

On Ubuntu VM ran the following

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install docker.io
sudo apt install jq
sudo apt install curl
cd redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.11
chmod +x redpill_tool_chain.sh
sudo bash ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-7.0.1-42214 && sudo bash ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-7.0.1-42214

Copied the image and flashed to USB using balenaEtcher and then copied the pat to desktop to upload as part of the install.

Enjoy :-)

Many others have helped to get this up and running so we're all standing on their shoulders.  The process I followed is based on the above edited quoted posts.  I'm running 7.0.1-42218 baremetal on a Asrock J4105 ITX board with no modifications. I had 6.2.3 working with Jun's loader before.

I haven't seen this posted so I hope this part helps someone but I have a M1 Macbook Air which uses an arm processor and I was unable to compile an image with the docker on this machine or using docker in a Ubuntu virtual machine on the M1 Macbook Air as there were always errors relating to docker.  I created a Ubuntu VM on the 6.2.3 build and used the info above to to compile the image.  I tested by booting from the usb with the drives unplugged and installed to a different drive to verify it was working ok.

I have attached the edited global_config.json file which has apollolake-7.0.1-42218 added so you can use that in the commands from above instead of apollolake-7.0.1-42214. Thanks @Tango38317for your help with that.

The machine gets an ip address in about 45 seconds after boot and everything works perfectly.  I have several things running in docker including plex which works without issue but I had to add the following as a scheduled task that runs at boot to get hw transcoding to work for plex if you have a plex pass and a real SN and MAC:

chmod 777 /dev/dri/*

Again, I hope this helps someone.

global_config.json

Edited by toyanucci
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, toyanucci said:

Many others have helped to get this up and running so we're all standing on their shoulders.  The process I followed is based on the above edited quoted posts.  I'm running 7.0.1-42218 baremetal on a Asrock J4105 ITX board with no modifications. I had 6.2.3 working with Jun's loader before.

I haven't seen this posted so I hope this part helps someone but I have a M1 Macbook Air which uses an arm processor and I was unable to compile an image with the docker on this machine or using docker in a Ubuntu virtual machine on the M1 Macbook Air as there were always errors relating to docker.  I created a Ubuntu VM on the 6.2.3 build and used the info above to to compile the image.  I tested by booting from the usb with the drives unplugged and installed to a different drive to verify it was working ok.

I have attached the edited global_config.json file which has apollolake-7.0.1-42218 added so you can use that in the commands from above instead of apollolake-7.0.1-42214. Thanks @Tango38317for your help with that.

The machine gets an ip address in about 45 seconds after boot and everything works perfectly.  I have several things running in docker including plex which works without issue but I had to add the following as a scheduled task that runs at boot to get hw transcoding to work for plex if you have a plex pass and a real SN and MAC:

chmod 777 /dev/dri/*

Again, I hope this helps someone.

global_config.json 7.12 kB · 15 downloads

Your branch should be master, not "develop" if you want to be able to add extensions.

On 10/4/2021 at 1:28 PM, pocopico said:

tg3.ko has a dependency libphy.ko which is also included in the tg3 extension. 

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/main/tg3/rpext-index.json

@pocopico - any chance you can update the driver repo to support 42218?  Appears to be the same kernel so I'd imagine it's just a matter of updating the  json files, no?

Thanks @ThorGroup, @pocopico, @shibby

Lsi Sas 2008 worked on baremetal DSM7.0, with SMart data

For those who want to know how to do it here is my 2 cent

Table of Contents

1. At the time of writing redpill-toolchain 0.11 available in future this guide will fail in future.
.. 1. Requirements Docker and jq on your host system
.. 2. Image will be on image folder, burn it and enjoy

1 At the time of writing redpill-toolchain 0.11 available in future this guide will fail.
=========================================================================================

1.1 Requirements Docker and jq on your host system
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

,----
  | ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0-41222
  | ./redpill_tool_chain.sh run bromolow-7.0-41222
  | cd redpill-load
  | ./ext-manager.sh add 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/mpt3sas/rpext-index.json'
  | ./ext-manager.sh add 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/mpt2sas/rpext-index.json'
  | ./ext-manager.sh add 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/mptsas/rpext-index.json'
  | ./ext-manager.sh add 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-sas-activator/master/rpext-index.json'
  | cd ..
  | make -C /opt/ build_all
  | exit
  `----

1.2 Image will be on image folder, burn it and enjoy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

You can build it with Haydib's docker scripts by adding the relevant details to the config json file. NB. TTG don't support 42218, so this is pulling from jumkey's repo and you won't be able to use extensions with this. This is what I'm using on my system.

{
            "id": "bromolow-7.0.1-42218",
            "platform_version": "bromolow-7.0.1-42218",
            "user_config_json": "bromolow_user_config.json",
            "docker_base_image": "debian:8-slim",
            "compile_with": "toolkit_dev",
            "redpill_lkm_make_target": "dev-v7",
            "downloads": {
                "kernel": {
                    "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/25426branch/bromolow-source/linux-3.10.x.txz/download",
                    "sha256": "18aecead760526d652a731121d5b8eae5d6e45087efede0da057413af0b489ed"
                },
                "toolkit_dev": {
                    "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.bromolow-7.0.dev.txz/download",
                    "sha256": "a5fbc3019ae8787988c2e64191549bfc665a5a9a4cdddb5ee44c10a48ff96cdd"
                }
            },
            "redpill_lkm": {
                "source_url": "https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm.git",
                "branch": "master"
            },
            "redpill_load": {
                "source_url": "https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load.git",
                "branch": "develop"
            }
        },

How exactly did you get that to build?  Neither the redpill or jumkey repo contain the appropriate files for 918 or 3615:

[!] There doesn't seem to be a config for DS918+ platform running 7.0.1-42218 (checked /opt/redpill-load/config/DS918+/7.0.1-42218/config.json)

Edited by tcs