XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

4 hours ago, Orphée said:

I'm playing with DS918+ loader 6.2.4 on VMWare Workstation.

It works, I installed Moments to check face detection...

Do you know what it means ? :

Same happens on DSM 7.0 RC

2021-10-05T17:23:06+02:00 DS918 synofoto-face-extraction[1256]: /source/synophoto-plugin-face/src/face_plugin/lib/face_detection.cpp:214 Error: (face plugin) load network failed
2021-10-05T17:23:06+02:00 DS918 synofoto-face-extraction[1256]: uncaught thread task exception /source/synofoto/src/daemon/plugin/plugin_worker.cpp:90 plugin init failed: /var/packages/SynologyPhotos/target/usr/lib/libsynophoto-plugin-face.so

SN and MAC valid...

9 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Trying to figure out how to get networking running on VMware Fusion now. It seems @Amoureux has already done some good work on this, but my Russian(?) is non-existent :D 

On workstation :

ethernet0.addressType = "static"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.address = "00:11:32:xx:xx:xx"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "192"
ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.vnet = "VMnet0"
ethernet0.displayName = "VMnet0"
ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"

I added an "e" to e1000

I choosed "custom" and VMnet0 but, bridged should to the same.

Edited by Orphée
  • Like 1

Oh my word, that was ridiculously quick and easy! That's gonna make testing new images a whole lot simpler. I've now got a virtual 918+ running in VMware Fusion on my iMac :D

*edit* Wow, I've got to get my Gen8 migrated to ESXi, it's *so* much quicker to reboot, if nothing else!

Edited by WiteWulf

3 minutes ago, altas said:

You think is better as ESX host instead of Barmetal??

Pros: flexibility, ability to host multiple guests on the same hardware, standardised drivers that are well supported by Synology, faster to reboot guests

Cons: more complex, not easy to migrate if you're already on baremetal, run best with additional hardware (ie. SATA HBA)

So, not better, different....

Edited by WiteWulf

59 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Trying to figure out how to get networking running on VMware Fusion now. It seems @Amoureux has already done some good work on this, but my Russian(?) is non-existent :D 

paste into into Google Russian English translate makes a good readable job of it

• Like 1

Damnit....I have a  "spare" ESXi host at work with 64GB and 12 XeonE5-2680 v3 cores in it that would make a lovely xpenology machine, but it's got a crappy "Foundation for Embedded OEMs" ESXi license on it that doesn't allow virtual serial ports on it 😡

2 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Yeah, I think I need a full enterprise license for virtual serial ports :(

The license it has on it was a bundled one that came with some Cisco UC stuff I was working on years ago.

You can get a free esxi license and it should have virtual serial:

https://4sysops.com/archives/esxi-7-0-free-new-features-limitations-upgrade/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tcs said:

You can get a free esxi license and it should have virtual serial:

https://4sysops.com/archives/esxi-7-0-free-new-features-limitations-upgrade/

I have esxi 6.7 on the micro sd in my g8 micro server with free licence I sometimes boot to test esxi vm’s , it’s on the free licence , but it doesn’t appear to have virtual serial. Was this introduced for version 7 on free licence ? 

4 minutes ago, scoobdriver said:

I have esxi 6.7 on the micro sd in my g8 micro server with free licence I sometimes boot to test esxi vm’s , it’s on the free licence , but it doesn’t appear to have virtual serial. Was this introduced for version 7 on free licence ? 

I believe directing it to a network port requires a higher license but you should be able to present the physical serial port of the box to it which - if you have a BMC should be available over the network.  Presumably if he has a 24-way xeon box he has a BMC on it.

I am currently running an HP Gen8 Microserver 16gb memory and E3-1265L V2 currently running as a baremetal XPenology server with Plex Server as the only app curently installed so is bare metal - ESXi or Proxmox the way I should be looking to go now with the new loader and V7 + versions as I seem to remember someone on here saying Proxmox was the way to go now ?

Edited by DaveD

Just a tip about proxmox with HP Gen8 :

If you plan to use it with HBA passthrough, forget it, a bug make it impossible.

Whereas it works on ESXi.

The current patch does not work with Proxmox 7

https://github.com/kiler129/relax-intel-rmrr

Edit : maybe an option here :

https://github.com/crankswagon/relax-intel-rmrr

Edited by Orphée
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DaveD said:

I am currently running an HP Gen8 Microserver 16gb memory and E3-1265L V2 currently running as a baremetal XPenology server with Plex Server as the only app curently installed so is bare metal - ESXi or Proxmox the way I should be looking to go now with the new loader and V7 + versions ?

I have the exact same hardware configuration and Plex would frequently kernel panic on redpill loader. It's being worked on, but I'd stay on 6.2.3 for now unless you like living dangerously :)

Thanks for helping me get up and running with ESXi, folks. I spent most of the evening upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0 (damn VIB dependencies!) but once that was out of the way the DSM installation was pretty smooth. The only problem I had was that the network it's on has no DHCP (for reasons), so I had to get the virtual terminal working so I could go in and manually give it an IP address, netmask and gateway to even be able to get at the web interface. Now it's up and running! 👍

It's got a 918+ image on it at the moment, given that I've got loads of CPUs and RAM in this host: is 918+ the best image for it? I'm hoping to eventually use this as a Plex host, so CPU, disk and network throughout will be important.