XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

1 hour ago, Schyzo said:

Yes, I used the same USB port and tried the rear too.

Okay when you say "my Hp Gen 8 don't boot", exactly what are you seeing on your machine? Is it actually not booting from the USB stick and trying to PXE boot from the NIC (or whatever the next device is in your boot order), or is it booting from the USB stick into the linux kernel and you're just not seeing any output to screen after this output?:

Loading Linux...                                                                
Loading initramfs...                                                            
Starting kernel with USB boot                                                   
early console in decompress_kernel                                              

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.                                     
Booting the kernel.

• Thanks 1

Quick update:
Thanks to amazing reports from @WiteWulf the KP on 3615xs should be fixed now. For details see https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/21#issuecomment-932690817
A different hard loockup seems to exist still but this shouldn't affect most of the people and judging by the last post in the issue it may not even be a bug but an over-reactive kernel protection mechanism.

====================================

On 10/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, use-nas said:

Is it possible to use IntelCPU Microcode ??

We don't see a reason why not. The kernel should load it automatically. We never played with microcode updates manually but DSM isn't special here.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:15 PM, coint_cho said:

Was hoping for an answer to whether there’s any workarounds for old hardware, but since no harm in bumping, would like to ask ThorGroup if this is bypassable :D, disks work in 6.1.7 MBR modified by Genysys but not other images sadly. 

Do you have two images where one is working on Q6600 and one is not? One of our devs may even have Q6600 on P5B Deluxe somewhere but it's a very old platform and we don't know if it still works after so many years ;)

On 10/1/2021 at 3:27 PM, Orphée said:

You really should give it a try.

It is rock stable, great UI, nice mobile app. nice motion detection features working just fine. can record on disk, send mails / SMS (with 3rd party service) alerts...

But only 2 camera in the free default license.

You must have a real SN/MAC to buy new license(s) on Amazon... There are quite expensive... and I think it is a bit risky, never know if one day Syno detect wrong device even with real SN/MAC... It then may break the licences bought earlier... (there is a Surveillance station c****ed floating around to enable 40 licences... but only for DSM 6.x)

With DVA3221 support, you give advanced IA features, 8 camera with default integrated licence... I'm really really waiting you on this 😚

image.thumb.png.0d45ba5a8b7e601a387bc88696aeec5c.png

That sounds REALLY good actually! We may try for a test installation observing 3D printers. We wonder how they actually detect what's a real S/N<=>MAC combo and what's not. We doubt it's calling to the outside API... because if it's that simple adding an emulation is probably pretty trivial. It's probably more a checksum than anything.

The DVA support is really held mostly by the S/N generation. Despite our efforts of searching around we weren't able to find how previous S/N generators were written (i.e. based on what information).

On 10/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, WowaDriver said:

Sorry and its offtopic here, but do you tested the old c****** SSS package which the guys used on 6.2.3 with you restart task on DSM7? I think it could be possible to use, because it is a manuel installed package. So you should deinstall the standard SSS on DSM7 and give a try for the c****** one... In the past i tried it up with 6.2.3 it it worked perfectly for my with 9 cams.

I prefere SSS because you have the ability to use livecam, which is a kind of webcam recorder for you ios and ipados devices. So here i have to iPads in my house from which i can use the front cam for recording ;) 

FYI: no packages from v6 will really work on v7 without modification. They changed a lot, actually modernizing the package manager. Even simple things like Plex needed a new package for v7.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:45 PM, Orphée said:

Yep, on Gen10+ you have to buy the daughter board, and buy the license somewere (Ebay & co...)

A real-life DLC.... the thing is what's the point of paying for a SERVER if you don't have any OOB management? That's probably why they release Gen10+ so quickly after Gen10 as people were still buying Gen 8.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:49 AM, T-REX-XP said:

Also it seems to be the following repo should contains all available extensions in feature - https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-extensions. Like a marketplace or repository with a links. So it will be enough to define available extensions unique name inside extensions section in the config.

"extensions": [ "thethorgroup.virtio", "example_dev.example_extension" ]

Yes, the final goal is to have the default be just the "dev.ext_name" installation but with always-available option to use manual URL. The repo has a simple format for now as we don't have a plan HOW it will be structured. However, we are definitely want to keep everything static to avoid having any active servers (more like apt/dpkg and unlike NPM).
Currently, the extension names are only mean to force the order of loading. 99% of the users will never use that key. We're currently messaging with @haydibe to see how to make extensions interface nice with containers.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:10 AM, plarkass said:

Att the end of the installation 

1) Enable SSH and ssh into your DiskStation

2) Become root ( sudo -i )

3) Make a mount point ( mkdir -p /tmp/mountMe )

4) cd into /dev ( cd /dev )

5) mount synoboot1 to your mount point ( mount -t vfat synoboot1 /tmp/mountMe )

6) modify grub

7) Profit!

Remember that this method will RESET this setting when you update RP in the future. That's why we say to add this to the user_conf ;) For testing it's easier to press "e" in the GRUB menu to edit the entry, add params which you want to test, and then press Ctrl+x to boot modified entry.

10 hours ago, AnhLai said:

Hi any one got issue that not all ram are usable? I have 8GB installed, but only 4GB usable

Are you sure you don't have some compatibility mode set in the BIOS? As 32bit has a limit to 4GB and there were hacks to extend that for OSes like Windows XP.

Look under things like "PAE", "Physical Address Extension" or a selector for OS type (some BIOSes have selector like DOS/Legacy/Other - usually picking Other disables all magic wizardy hacks).

10 hours ago, RedwinX said:

Yeah sure, if I read and understand, have to make diskidxmap=0C00 (13th disk is redpill vmdk, and 1th for sas card) and SATAPORTMAP=18 (1 port for redpill and 8 for sas) but always only 7 disk of 8 on sas card 

RP does not need [or shouldn't] the Jun's hack to "hide" the loader as the 13th disk as we set synoboot in kernel and that disk is never visible to the DSM UI. So calculate everything as if that disk was never there. Your first disk can certainly land at "/dev/sda" (in Jun's loader some platforms could never use sda but started from sdb).

8 hours ago, pigr8 said:

OORRR..

image.thumb.png.c07505f2d4efe2f53a799bb84b907ce4.png

image.thumb.png.80a7bfdfd86054bfb81ded3d2b748b17.png

one could move the redpill not on a sata controller but on a sas controller, let it boot from there and that gives the LSI the ability to set the drive as /dev/sda.

done.

but i dont know if it's supported by TTG doing this way :(

EDIT: nope, doing so no /dev/synoboot is created so install will fail @55%, if the system is installed it will boot fine but no clean install.

Depending on the platform the boot from SAS should work (typing from memory here). In general, we try to be pretty flexible as to what "SATA boot" is and make it "anything SCSI matching the size except USB".

7 hours ago, Orphée said:

@pigr8 If you look my earlier posts, I faced the same issue with HBA LSI card, can't set it to /dev/sda. It seems DiskIdxMap is ignored. Whereas same conf with virtual SATA1 controller works.

and 2 posts after.

If you're running 3615xs there's also SasIdxMap ;)

7 hours ago, ct85msi said:

Offtopic, there were some questions why someone would want 10 Gbps networking...well Digi ISP (RCA-RDS) Romania announced new subscriptions for 10 and 2.5 GBps. 10 Gbps costs 10.11 EUR/11.72 USD(50 RON) and 2.5 Gbps costs 9.10 EUR/10.55 USD (45 RON). That is for FTTH , fiber to the home, no need for business subscription. So...I guess 10 Gbps is the new standard, or ar least 2.5 Gbps.

https://www.digi.ro/anunturi/digi-lanseaza-internetul-de-10-gbps-fiberlink-10-g-cel-mai-rapid-internet-din-romania-29465

We need to push 10 Gbps cards compatibility.

<frantically checking housing prices in Romania>

5 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

The best is in switzerland you can download nearly everything only russia is better there you can download and upload nearly everything🤣

Correction: you can do pretty much what you want on the internet from RU as long as you do it to countries which aren't Russia. Not getting political but there's a reason why a lot C&C servers for malware are ran in Russia.

4 hours ago, paro44 said:

I use Win32DiskImager for writing .img-file to USB-drive. Easy to use, the drive is bootable.

The Gen8 has no Intel network card, right? Try it with an Intel card.

Gen8 has a broadcomm card. The driver, if someone compiles it, should work.

3 hours ago, buggy25200 said:

Hello,

On virtualbox and DS918+ 7 and 7.1, I boot with no link  up, it seems virtio has no effect on kernel > 4 and virtualbox, but it works on proxmox !  did you have this same observation ?

So I have tried using module made by @pocopicoe1000, and it works great ! Thx to you.

I also tried, your e1000 module 3.10.108 with ds3615xs, I do not know why ! Just I can ... so ...   But it causes kernel panic on every boot.

I therefore allow myself to warn testers : be careful and try modules one by one to find the one that works and the one that doesn't, some modules will pose problem.

The KP should be fixed for the most part on 3615xs - see GH issue for details: https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/21#issuecomment-932690817
As for the ethernet use VirtIO if you can [i.e. not on VMWare]  as it's a paravirtualized interface [=low overhead/faster] and e1000e otherwise (doesn't need drivers). e1000 is a different card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ThorGroup said:

Do you have two images where one is working on Q6600 and one is not? One of our devs may even have Q6600 on P5B Deluxe somewhere but it's a very old platform and we don't know if it still works after so many years ;)

Currently this is the version I'm using, and when booting 7.0 I get a no disk detected.

I have also tried this but it seems like it doesn't wanna boot even with the Intel NIC as well, at a lost now unfortunately..

my micro gen8 does not boot from the stick that i have created with the tool, vid pid set correctly, mac address added and a serial number that i used at juns loader, i see than it tries to boot from PXE.

is there legacy boot allowed? i can see on the stick it is UEFI i think?

57 minutes ago, mpuff said:

my micro gen8 does not boot from the stick that i have created with the tool, vid pid set correctly, mac address added and a serial number that i used at juns loader, i see than it tries to boot from PXE.

is there legacy boot allowed? i can see on the stick it is UEFI i think?

Set the first partition as active using fdisk after you’ve written the image to the stick. Gen8 is picky about usb boot sticks.

14 minutes ago, titoum said:

did someone already try the 7.0.1-42218 without rebuilding the key ?

i tried to update photo but i get a download error so i would guess it is related to dsm version.

You need a new boot image created with the matching DSM version for each released DSM version. You cannot reuse a boot image across different DSM versions. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

You need a new boot image created with the matching DSM version for each released DSM version. You cannot reuse a boot image across different DSM versions. 

right forgot about that! i will wait a bit then for the next version as all seems to work as expected so far

If someone is able to address the 6.2.4 update 2 patch, it would be cool.

I'm not hurry to beta test DSM7, but I would like to have latest security patches, so as soon as RP is stable enough (it seems to be now CPU & SAS is fixed) I would like to jump my prod to 6.2.4 (update 2).

8 hours ago, ThorGroup said:

The DVA support is really held mostly by the S/N generation. Despite our efforts of searching around we weren't able to find how previous S/N generators were written (i.e. based on what information).

If you look there :

https://github.com/xpenogen/serial_generator

It does not seems very tricky... am I wrong ?

@ThorGroup check your inbox :)

Edited by Orphée

Il y a 11 heures, WiteWulf a dit :

Okay when you say "my Hp Gen 8 don't boot", exactly what are you seeing on your machine? Is it actually not booting from the USB stick and trying to PXE boot from the NIC (or whatever the next device is in your boot order), or is it booting from the USB stick into the linux kernel and you're just not seeing any output to screen after this output?:

Loading Linux...                                                                
Loading initramfs...                                                            
Starting kernel with USB boot                                                   
early console in decompress_kernel                                              

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.                                     
Booting the kernel.

Hmm, you're right, sorry for that.

Server boot on the USB, and display exactly that.

But it wont connect to the router wired by ethernet, my router dont see it.

Any issue with the network card ?

Thanks a lot for your replies.

1 hour ago, Orphée said:

I'm not hurry to beta test DSM7, but I would like to have latest security patches, so as soon as RP is stable enough (it seems to be now CPU & SAS is fixed) I would like to jump my prod to 6.2.4 (update 2).

dsmv7 has also problem with some synocommunity packages that wont install because some (like cmd tools) uses root :S not that great of an upgrade this v7 😕

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThorGroup said:

Depending on the platform the boot from SAS should work (typing from memory here). In general, we try to be pretty flexible as to what "SATA boot" is and make it "anything SCSI matching the size except USB".

Yeah running works fine (without the /dev/synoboot assigned), i'm testing a dev machine right now without major issues on 7.0.1, but install and i guess upgrade wont.

I think we should try to address the stock dsm with the stock mpt2sas.ko and see why it wont accept /dev/sas* drives as usable, i dont know why v20.1 module on 3.10.105 kernel works good (maybe it's not the stock mpt2sas? i doubt it's modded by de juns loader) but compiling on 3.10.108 falls back on v14.1.. @pocopico how did you compile the module? can it compiled with a newer version somehow?

A quick update (we will write more tomorrow): the native mpt2sas driver works but it's present only on 3615xs platform. To activate it and make it working properly without any hacks just add this small extension: https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-sas-activator

We also updated the kernel module to rewrite SAS => SATA ports so it should work with any off-the-shelf mpt2sas or mpt3sas driver.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pocopico said:

Please bear in mind that this will only work on DS3615 and not on 918. The 918  requires additional modules to be loaded prior loading any SAS modules otherwise you will fail to satisfy their dependencies. 

/\ Yes, that definitely - as 3615xs has syno-built SAS modules the activator will install on 3615xs only (and the extension intentionally doesn't have a recipe for 918). However, with the LKM changes a standard unmodified mpt code should work properly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orphée said:

Only 7.0.1 final has all the security patches for now, even 6.2.4 update 2 can be exploited locally, the fix is still to be seen.