XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

3 hours ago, pocopico said:

@dhlsam. @toyanucciand everyone with nic issues on baremetal. A small suggestion I have to make, is to boot with a live Linux image and see what are the loaded modules for your system before looking to load a module.

Modules with wrong magic number will not be loaded. 

Just did it and the module being used is r8169.ko

I hate to sound so noob...but how do I load the module? 🤦🏾‍♂️

I see where you had suggested 2 modules before but had said you thought r8168.ko was already included so You did't think r8169.ko would be necessary but I'd like to try it if I can figure out how 🥲

Edited by toyanucci

2 hours ago, ThorGroup said:

We know this will break the @haydibe toolchain but we're sure he will fix it quickly as this is a small change

@ThorGroup thank you for the update! And indeed, I spoted and incorporated the new make targets into the new toolchain builder version :) 

Taken from the README.md:

Supports the make target to specify the redpill.ko build configuration. Set <platform version>.redpill_lkm_make_target to `dev-v6`, `dev-v7`, `test-v6`, `test-v7`, `prod-v6` or `prod-v7`.
  Make sure to use the -v6 ones on DSM6 build and -v7 on DSM7 build. By default the targets `dev-v6` and `dev-v7` are used.

I snatched following details from the redpill-lkm Makefile:

- dev: all symbols included, debug messages included
  - test: fully stripped with only warning & above (no debugs or info)
  - prod: fully stripped with no debug messages

See README.md for usage.

redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10.zip

Edited by haydibe
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 8

10 hours ago, brauner said:

Well - to complicated to me.

There is no iso / img / vmdk file?

Really ?

Are you **** serious ?

Could you please respect devs work ?

could you at least read OPs posts ?

you won't be spoon feed... we are not even in beta stage yet...

[Removed unnecessary foul comment and edited post.] 

Edited by Polanskiman
Agression and bashing
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, haydibe said:

@ThorGroup thank you for the update! And indeed, I spoted and incorporated the new make targets into the new toolchain builder version :) 

Supports the make target to specify the redpill.ko build configuration. Set <platform version>.redpill_lkm_make_target to `dev-v6`, `dev-v7`, `test-v6`, `test-v7`, `prod-v6` or `prod-v7`.
  Make sure to use the -v6 ones on DSM6 build and -v7 on DSM7 build. By default the targets `dev-v6` and `dev-v7` are used.

See README.md for usage.

redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10.zip 9.38 kB · 16 downloads

What are these new parameters in global_config.json ?

{
                "host_path": "change_me",
                "container_path" :"/change_me"
            }

If I leave then unmodified it will revert to previous version defaults or will load the container in /change_me? 

Thank you all for your work !

Edited by ct85msi

4 minutes ago, ct85msi said:

What are these new parameters in global_config.json ?

Let me quote from the README.md to answer that question:

- Supports to add custom mounts (set`"docker.use_custom_bind_mounts":` to `"true"` and add your custom bind-mounts in `"docker.custom_bind_mounts"`)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your answer, it`s my fault..should have looked in the damn README.md.

For those who run 7.0.1-RC, here is what you need to add to global_config.json:

{
            "id": "apollolake-7.0.1-42214",
            "platform_version": "apollolake-7.0.1-42214",
            "user_config_json": "apollolake_user_config.json",
            "docker_base_image": "debian:10-slim",
            "compile_with": "toolkit_dev",
            "redpill_lkm_make_target": "prod-v7",
            "downloads": {
                "kernel": {
                    "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/25426branch/apollolake-source/linux-4.4.x.txz/download",
                    "sha256": "af815ee065775d2e569fd7176e25c8ba7ee17a03361557975c8e5a4b64230c5b"
                },
                "toolkit_dev": {
                    "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.apollolake-7.0.dev.txz/download",
                    "sha256": "d349fa644392d4cfab8191243ee38aaa32bd517208c144678e0c855cb5a619ea"
                }
            },
            "redpill_lkm": {
                "source_url": "https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm.git",
                "branch": "master"
            },
            "redpill_load": {
                "source_url": "https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load.git",
                "branch": "develop"
            }
        } 

I used the prod-v7 target, you can change it to suit your needs. (dev/test/prod)

Edited by ct85msi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, brauner said:

Well - to complicated to me.

There is no iso / img / vmdk file?

As others have suggested: this isn't right for you yet. Yes, this is gatekeeping, but there's a beta coming soon hopefully. But be aware that there will never be a simple image to download for redpill. Read the thread (particularly Thorgroup's posts) and you'll hopefully understand why. 

Edited by WiteWulf
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 9:19 AM, Shaun Blake said:

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me a pointer.  I couldn't find anything related by searching the thread so I thought I'd post the issue I'm running into.

I'm attempting to go through the install process. It gets through 100% and then starts a 10 minutes countdown. At that point the vm restarts and I manually choose the SATA boot option. The countdown ends and says "something went wrong" with the option to "connect again". It then takes me back to a similar page as the install, but it says:

Welcome Back!

We've detected that you had moved the hard drives to a new DS3615xs. Please click Recover if you want to recover your data and settings now.

If I click the Recover button, it goes through an install process and jumps from 1%,2%, then 100% quickly and gives another 10 minute countdown that ends in the same way.

Details:

I'm using virt-manager to create a QEMU/KVM vm. I use the e1000e nic with NAT and two sata hard drives. The first has the redpill bromolow 7.0-41222 image, and the second is a new qcow2 disk. I've also added a couple of serial ports dumping out to a file.

When I look at the output from the first serial port when it reboots after the install, it seems to boot similarly to the first boot and ends with "Diskstation login:" and nothing more gets logged.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Just to follow up with this. I was having this issue trying to install or upgrade to 7.0.1 but if I used 7.0 on the DS918+ I everything went fine.

4 hours ago, Orphée said:

Really ?

Are you **** serious ?

Could you please respect devs work ?

could you at least read OPs posts ?

you won't be spoon feed... we are not even in beta stage yet...

[Removed unnecessary foul comment.] 

Forgot to takes your pills today?

• Sad 2
  • Angry 3

For test DS315xs with VMWare I add to global_config.json this lines:

{
            "id": "bromolow-7.0.1-42214",
            "platform_version": "bromolow-7.0.1-42214",
            "user_config_json": "bromolow_user_config.json",
            "docker_base_image": "debian:8-slim",
                    "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/25426branch/bromolow-source/linux-4.4.x.txz/download",
                },
                    "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.bromolow-7.0.dev.txz/download",
                    "sha256": "a5fbc3019ae8787988c2e64191549bfc665a5a9a4cdddb5ee44c10a48ff96cdd"
                }
            },
            },
            }
        },

For Apollolake need to add this lines:

It's very fast and easy make a build an .img for test, only need linux (In my case use Terminal on Ubuntu):

1. Install Docker       

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install docker.io

2. install jq & curl:       

sudo apt install jq
sudo apt install curl

3. download redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10 https://xpenology.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=13072

4. Go to folder and permissions to .sh

cd redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10
chmod +x redpill_tool_chain.sh

5. If you want edit vid,pid,sn,mac:

#edit apollolake
vi apollolake_user_config.json

#edit bromolow 
vi bromolow_user_config.json

6. build img

#for apollolake
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-7.0.1-42214 && ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-7.0.1-42214

#for bromolow
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0.1-42214 && ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto bromolow-7.0.1-42214

then the file was in redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10/images

7. For VMWare I convert .img to .vmdk with StarWind V2V Converter, and then add to Virtual Machine like sata. Also, change ethernet0.VirtualDeb = "e1000" to "e1000e on file .vmx

Thanks ThorGroup for the great work

photo_2021-09-22_14-50-27.jpg

global_config.json

Edited by apriliars3
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, toyanucci said:

Just did it and the module being used is r8169.ko

I hate to sound so noob...but how do I load the module? 🤦🏾‍♂️

I see where you had suggested 2 modules before but had said you thought r8168.ko was already included so You did't think r8169.ko would be necessary but I'd like to try it if I can figure out how 🥲

On 9/20/2021 at 3:45 AM, pocopico said:

You will need to add manually the kernel module, for bromolow 3615xs, try with the attached:

r8169.ko.7z 227.69 kB · 15 downloads

Two modules are attached mii.ko and rtl8169.ko. First load mii.ko and then rtl8169.ko the process for RAMdisk copy is explained on GitHub https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-load/blob/master/FOR_DEVS.md

For 918+ which will suit your CPU capabilities better, you the module r8168.ko is already included in the loader and should work for 8111H

On 9/6/2021 at 9:34 AM, pocopico said:

Not very difficult .. 

In order to compile your modules for 3.10.108 download standard kernel sources :

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/snapshot/linux-3.10.108.tar.gz

or just clone latest stable and 

# git checkout v3.10.108

copy the .config from the bromolow/apollolake sources to the folder you have the kernel sources that you downloaded, make menuconfig and select the modules you want to compile and the end run make modules.

Pay attention to the module dependencies (run modinfo xxx.ko ) as you might need modules to be loaded before that. e.g. module tg3.ko (tigon) depends on libphy.ko, so you need to first load libphy.ko and then tg3.ko. Not all modules have dependencies, but some do.

So in checking out the instructions you gave here I downloaded the kernel source you linked to and indeed r8169.c is listed in drivers/net/ethernet/realtek so I'm not sure why I can't seem to get the network up and running.

I ordered a pcie nic that should be compatible I I'll test again and hope for the best when it gets delivered on friday unless this is resolved before then.

Edited by toyanucci

il y a 26 minutes, apriliars3 a dit :

For test DS315xs with VMWare I add to global_config.json this lines:

{
            "id": "bromolow-7.0.1-42214",
            "platform_version": "bromolow-7.0.1-42214",
            "user_config_json": "bromolow_user_config.json",
            "docker_base_image": "debian:8-slim",
                    "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/25426branch/bromolow-source/linux-4.4.x.txz/download",
                },
                    "url": "https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.bromolow-7.0.dev.txz/download",
                    "sha256": "a5fbc3019ae8787988c2e64191549bfc665a5a9a4cdddb5ee44c10a48ff96cdd"
                }
            },
            },
            }
        },

For Apollolake need to add this lines:

It's very fast and easy make a build an .img for test, only need linux (In my case use Terminal on Ubuntu):

1. Install Docker       

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install docker.io

2. install jq & curl:       

sudo apt install jq
sudo apt install curl

3. download redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10 https://xpenology.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=13072

4. Go to folder and permissions to .sh

cd redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10
chmod +x redpill_tool_chain.sh

5. If you want edit vid,pid,sn,mac:

#edit apollolake
vi apollolake_user_config.json

#edit bromolow 
vi bromolow_user_config.json

6. build img

#for apollolake
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-7.0.1-42214 && ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-7.0.1-42214

#for bromolow
./redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0.1-42214 && ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto bromolow-7.0.1-42214

then the file was in redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10/images

7. For VMWare I convert .img to .vmdk with StarWind V2V Converter, and then add to Virtual Machine like sata. Also, change ethernet0.VirtualDeb = "e1000" to "e1000e on file .vmx

Thanks ThorGroup for the great work

photo_2021-09-22_14-50-27.jpg

global_config.json 8 Ko · 0 downloads

Big Thank you

I dont have a clue about Linux language so will wait patiently until a total novice idiot proof version is released for my HP Micoserver Gen 8 but in the meantime my undying thanks to Thor Group and all the other contributors here for giving up their precious free time to sort this out for the rest of us - Respect to you all.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, haydibe said:

See README.md for usage.

redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.10.zip 9.38 kB · 68 downloads

Made a build with v0.10 but the usb won't boot on my system 🤷🏾‍♂️

It shows an efi partition but just won't boot off it.

I checked a previous bootable image and noticed the following were missing from the 50mb volume of the image created with v0.10

/boot/grub/x86_64-efi (this entire folder is missing)

/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

I copied them from the previously bootable image and the USB booted up.

Edited by toyanucci

Hi @ThorGroup ! Many thanks to your contribution. 

I was trying to build a new bare-metal setup using DSM 7.0, and then migrate data from my existing DSM 6.2.3 (using Jun's mod).

Hardware brief:

- Intel Core i7-6700K (Skylake) with ASUS Z170 motherboard

- 2 SATA SSDs connected to onboard SATA ports

- LSI 9300-8i HBA card (requires mpt3sas driver) with 2 SATA, 2 NLSAS drives

- Intel X710-DA2 10GbE NIC (requires i40e driver)

- RedPill-Loader image burned to USB flash disk using Rufus

After tried both DS918+ and DS3615xs RedPill-LKM images, I stucked:

- When using DS918+ image, the DSM installer can only recognize SSDs on onboard SATA ports

- When using DS3615xs, the installer cannot recognize any disks at all (maybe the kernel too old?)

- Onboard Intel i219-V NIC works well (since I can access DSM installer web page), while I hadn't confirm whether X710 works or not yet

Seems it just lack some recent drivers in the image. And luckily I can confirm which driver is used by these hardware.

So is there any way to inject / include / copy some driver files (probably *.ko) into the RP image?

2 hours ago, helixzz said:

Hi @ThorGroup ! Many thanks to your contribution. 

I was trying to build a new bare-metal setup using DSM 7.0, and then migrate data from my existing DSM 6.2.3 (using Jun's mod)

We're not there yet, don't use important data which is value to you. Keep your data in where it is, use test data for test only. I am using LSI 9311 for hdd pool, X520 for 10g nic, I haven't found out how to inject those driver yet, still under observation

4 hours ago, toyanucci said:

It shows an efi partition but just won't boot off it.

I checked a previous bootable image and noticed the following were missing from the 50mb volume of the image created with v0.10

/boot/grub/x86_64-efi (this entire folder is missing)

/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

I copied them from the previously bootable image and the USB booted up.

Please open an issue in the github repository of the redpill-load version configured in <platfrom version> that you used to build the image. 

I repeat: the toolchain builder is not responsible for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1