XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

check "dmesg"

BTW you have Wireless on your motherboard. So maybe DSM already "see" two network cards and atlantic is the 3th (ds918+ has limit to two network card). Then you have to go to /etc/synoinfo.conf and change maxlanport from 2 to 3. Of course you have to also add mac3 to grub.cfg

Edited by shibby

i have XG-C100C on 6.2.3 with Juns Loader. I just told you the steps which i had to do to run 10Gbps NIC on it. My motherboard has 2x NIC, so i had to modify /etc/synoinfo.cfg file to allow DS918+ create 3th LAN connection (by default DS918+ has a limit to only 2 NIC).

i didn`t update my Xpenology do redpill because i have and issue to support my second SATA controller. So i can`t check is this atlantic.ko module works.

Hey, just compiled (and tried like, every redist online) RedPill and I'm stuck on 'starting kernel'.

This is the full output:

Booting RedPill DS918+ [VERSION v6.2.4 to 7.0.1 tested]

Loading Linux...

Loading initramfs...

Starting kernel

I get 0 output from serial port (I may have wired them incorrectly because I shoved a male connector to my board (also male)'s serial connector)

Is it like, BIOS specific setting in place or smtg?

*spec

LSI 9280-8i 

Asrock J4105

Problem persists with and without HDD

Edited by Lazy775
Markdown not supported

46 minutes ago, Lazy775 said:

Hey, just compiled (and tried like, every redist online) RedPill and I'm stuck on 'starting kernel'.

This is the full output:

I get 0 output from serial port (I may have wired them incorrectly because I shoved a male connector to my board (also male)'s serial connector)

*spec

LSI 9280-8i 

Asrock J4105

Have you used a null-modem connection?  
If you want read from serial port thru another serial port you need a serial cable called "null-modem cable" 
search on google "null modem cable" 

1 hour ago, Lazy775 said:

This is the full output:

*spec

LSI 9280-8i 

Asrock J4105

That's the exact same motherboard I have. They say it takes about 10-15 minutes for boot after you see starting kernel (so maybe you can try waiting 15 minutes or so then check your router if you see a dhcp request for Diskstation), but like you I tried all the different ones I could find and even after 30 minutes I couldn't connect to it. I'm thinking maybe it's the onboard nic that's the problem? 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

Edited by toyanucci

On 9/10/2021 at 1:03 AM, yanjun said:

I cp ixgbevf.ko into /usr/lib/modules/ folder

then insmod /usr/lib/modules/ixgbevf.ko

insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /usr/lib/modules/ixgbevf.ko: Invalid module format

the  dmesg 

[  989.270284] ixgbevf: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload ' should be '4.4.180+ SMP mod_unload '
[ 1004.399371] ixgbevf: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload ' should be '4.4.180+ SMP mod_unload '
[ 1032.991768] ixgbevf: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload ' should be '4.4.180+ SMP mod_unload '

1 hour ago, Lazy775 said:

Redpill does not output anything to the screen after this message. All further diagnostic information is output to the serial port.

@ThorGroup *please* put a message on there saying there's no more output, like Jun's does :) 

• Like 2

Little update on the docker kernel panics thing some of us were diagnosing last week:

- @Orphée and "labrous" commented on the github issue that they were seeing similar issues with the Moments app on 6.2.4 and Photos on 7.0.1 (lock ups on VMs, kernel panics on baremetal)

- the common thing I'm seeing here is databases: most of the docker crashes I've seen have involved mariadb, influxdb, mysqld or elasticsearch

Edited by WiteWulf
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Little update on the docker kernel panics thing some of us were diagnosing last week:

- @Orphée and "labrous" commented on the github issue that they were seeing similar issues with the Moments app on 6.2.4 and Photos on 7.0.1 (lock ups on VMs, kernel panics on baremetal)

- the common thing I'm seeing here is databases: all the docker crashes I've seen have involved mariadb, influxdb, mysqld or elasticsearch

It happened randomly with a simple nginx container too... (BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 41s! [runc:19580])

And maybe this IPv6 "issue ?" too while starting docker.

Edited by Orphée
  • Like 2

Hi i have Asus 87iplus with 6 sata ports at the same controller when all hdd are connected i can install DSM 3615 redpill 7 but when not all HDD are connected i have the error message that 6 sata ports are disabled so i need the line in the grub.cfg sataports= 6 and i dont know exactly in which i have to write this line.

could you help me ?

menuentry 'RedPill DS3615xs v7.0.1-42214 RC (USB, Verbose)' {
    savedefault
    set root=(hd0,msdos1)
    echo Loading Linux...
    linux /zImage mac1=9C69Bxxxxxx netif_num=1 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 vid=0x0951 syno_hdd_detect=0 pid=0x1665 console=ttyS0,115200n8 elevator=elevator sn=14Bxxxxxxxxxxxx root=/dev/md0 earlyprintk loglevel=15 log_buf_len=32M syno_port_thaw=1 HddHotplug=0 withefi syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 
    echo Loading initramfs...
    initrd /rd.gz
    echo Starting kernel with USB boot
}

Edited by nemesis122

50 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

- the common thing I'm seeing here is databases: most of the docker crashes I've seen have involved mariadb, influxdb, mysqld or elasticsearch

If you enable the indexing on the universal search, a 3615xs on 7.0.1 system will hang as well i guess on synoelasticd. This has been tested and will not happen on 918+ 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pocopico said:

If you enable the indexing on the universal search, a 3615xs on 7.0.1 system will hang as well i guess on synoelasticd

Yes, that's exactly what I observed. It was fine with a small folder of ~250 photos, but when I pointed it at a 2TB folder of music files it kernel panic'd after a few minutes.

Edited by WiteWulf
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThorGroup said:

Can you try deleting the line with "register_pmu_shim" from redpill_main.c (in init_(void) function) and rebuilding the kernel module? You can then use inject_rp_ko.sh (lkm repo) script to inject it into an existing loader image or rebuild the image. With that you shouldn't have PMU emulation anymore (so the instance can be killed in ~24-48h) but we can see if it's kernel panicking.

I'm just about to knock off for the day (and it's my partner's birthday, so no hacking tonight! :) ), but I'll give that a go tomorrow morning (UK time).

I have built and tested both DS918 and DS3615 images.

- So far the HWMON works as expected and there is no need for the previous synoinfo.conf hack  (supportsystemperature-yes and supportsystempwarning=yes).

In case you had previously "supportsystemperature" and "supportsystempwarning" set,  rebuilt the loader and edit both /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf and /etc/synoinfo.conf and set both to yes. 

- The issue with the soft lockup on synoelasticd remains on DS3615 image (virtual and physical) and will panic the system when you do a universal search.

- The issue with "I/O scheduler elevator not found" on mptsas.ko remains 

@ThorGroup Thanks for your hard work ! The roadmap looks very promissing. 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1