XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

On 9/18/2021 at 9:24 PM, WiteWulf said:

Everyone that's contacted me so far has been using either Xeon or Celeron CPUs, I've not heard from anyone with non-Intel CPU so far. Also, I (and others) extensively used docker on 6.2.3 and earlier versions on Jun's boot loader. These problems have only been observed on DSM 6.2.4 and 7.x since moving to redpill, and only on DS3615xs.

I saw something post a success on HP Gen 7, which should be using AMD CPU. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toyanucci said:

I'm using the ASRock J4105 ITX motherboard. The network card it uses is the Realtek RTL8111H.

I guess the problem is the NIC...I just assumed it worked but I guess I'll need to get a compatible one.  I'll search the thread when I get home or if you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

if you are using a router, try to see is there a new connection named Diskstation , use the ip address to connect with browser, it will show more informations. If it didn't show up, that you need to check the cpu you are using if  that meets the minimium requirment of 918+ or 3615xs. Mostly 918+ needs Haswell or newer versions. Check the Lan port light are they showing normal, it should be a yellow and green light blinking while ilthe kernel is running, if there is no blinking, it is not possible to connect no matter how long are you waiting to connect  from another browser, check it step by step to sort the problems

9 hours ago, toyanucci said:

I'm using the ASRock J4105 ITX motherboard. The network card it uses is the Realtek RTL8111H.

I guess the problem is the NIC...I just assumed it worked but I guess I'll need to get a compatible one.  I'll search the thread when I get home or if you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

My system, J3455B-ITX boots in aprox ~ 10 minutes. Wait more time.

Anyone tried DS918+ 6.2.4 with the latest ESXi 7.0U2d?

I used redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.9.zip to build bootloader. SataPortMap=18 and DiskIdxMap=1000 configured for two attached vmdks (sata0:0 for bootloader sata1:0 for dsm installation having 50-100GB)

It always failed with the file corrupted error (13) during DSM installation.

Instead of compiling myself, I also tried someone else's after modifying grub.cfg but result was the same.

55 minutes ago, man275 said:

Anyone tried DS918+ 6.2.4 with the latest ESXi 7.0U2d?

I used redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.9.zip to build bootloader. SataPortMap=18 and DiskIdxMap=1000 configured for two attached vmdks (sata0:0 for bootloader sata1:0 for dsm installation having 50-100GB)

It always failed with the file corrupted error (13) during DSM installation.

Instead of compiling myself, I also tried someone else's after modifying grub.cfg but result was the same.

While on grub, you have to select either manually or edit grub.cfg so that by default it boots with the second option which is SATA. If you dont have a second option you can A. rebuilt the loader with latest additions or B. manually edit grub.cfg and add synoboot_satadom=2 in the linux /zImage line.

20 minutes ago, u357 said:

you have to install through browser, synology assistant install won't work 

Always used via browser. Thanks for the reply. 

9 minutes ago, pocopico said:

While on grub, you have to select either manually or edit grub.cfg so that by default it boots with the second option which is SATA. If you dont have a second option you can A. rebuilt the loader with latest additions or B. manually edit grub.cfg and add synoboot_satadom=2 in the linux /zImage line.

It always shows two choices on boot, usb or sata. And tried usb by default. I will search what synoboot_satadom=2 is and try with that. Thanks. 

Edited by man275

13 hours ago, toyanucci said:

You will need to add manually the kernel module, for bromolow 3615xs, try with the attached:

r8169.ko.7z

Two modules are attached mii.ko and rtl8169.ko. First load mii.ko and then rtl8169.ko the process for RAMdisk copy is explained on GitHub https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-load/blob/master/FOR_DEVS.md

For 918+ which will suit your CPU capabilities better, you the module r8168.ko is already included in the loader and should work for 8111H

Edited by pocopico

8 hours ago, u357 said:

if you are using a router, try to see is there a new connection named Diskstation , use the ip address to connect with browser, it will show more informations. If it didn't show up, that you need to check the cpu you are using if  that meets the minimium requirment of 918+ or 3615xs. Mostly 918+ needs Haswell or newer versions. Check the Lan port light are they showing normal, it should be a yellow and green light blinking while ilthe kernel is running, if there is no blinking, it is not possible to connect no matter how long are you waiting to connect  from another browser, check it step by step to sort the problems

The cpu works with 918+ on Jun's loader and many report it working here.  The orange lan light is blinking infrequently...

I had a static route setup for device (just testing that redpill works for me first) which I just removed and I'm now seeing a diskstation device in dhcp request but the page isn't loading when I try to access it.

It seems the diskstation device showing in the dhcp list may be from an attempt I made yesterday and not from the attempt I'm currently making.  I had made several attempts with different images so I guess at least one of them must've worked.  

Edited by toyanucci

12 minutes ago, Amoureux said:

Friends, I have had some success in launching dsm with a RedPill and VMware Fusion on my mac. The new problem is that now the system says that it cannot format the hdd's

.944551020_2021-09-2015_03_29.thumb.png.8a3206fc788e97ee34eed6ab7145d12e.png

I would change the redpill loader to sata0.0 and data disk to sata1.0 which i have verified that works. I was not able to install with the redpill set to IDE or SCSI.

53 минуты назад, pocopico сказал:

I would change the redpill loader to sata0.0 and data disk to sata1.0 which i have verified that works. I was not able to install with the redpill set to IDE or SCSI.

I have redpill loader set to sata0.0 and data disk set to sata1.0 Stopped at 55%. PID/VID incorrect ? 

"pid": "0x0001",
 "vid": "0x46f4",

Surprisingly, the installation was successful in the sata-dom mode.🤣

1922249831_2021-09-2016_05_11.thumb.png.c2f5c856f234112e306457f62c3fe0aa.png

Edited by Amoureux

11 minutes ago, Amoureux said:

I have redpill loader set to sata0.0 and data disk set to sata1.0 Stopped at 55%. PID/VID incorrect ? 

"pid": "0x0001",
 "vid": "0x46f4",

1922249831_2021-09-2016_05_11.thumb.png.c2f5c856f234112e306457f62c3fe0aa.png

While at GRUB you need to select the second option for sata. If SATA is selected the vid:pid is ignored.

49 minutes ago, Buny74 said:

Hi guys,

I'm actually on baremetal with my G8 and i plan to update to DSM 7.0.1 but i'm actually on a 3617 base.

If i build for a 3615 will it be possible to update my server from a 3617 ? 

Thanks

Yeah, it’ll identify the disks as being from

another server and offer to do a migration for you. So long as you give it a pat file that matches the version and architecture you’ve built the boot image for you you’ll be fine. 

• Like 1