XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

On 9/16/2021 at 8:08 AM, Ermite said:

Installed bromolow-7.0.1-42214 to my HP N54L.
I was used Jun's Loader 1.03b (DSM 6.2.3) and all HDD fully migrated with no error. (only keep my data, drop before config)
and it work well, but some part is not work.

1. Info Center - General tab is blank.
2. USB UPS cannot work. I'm using APC UPS, it worked with 6.2.3.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 09.03.25.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 09.03.48.png

Hi, Would like to know how did you build the bootloader? 

I tried both redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.8 and redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.7.4, both of them are not working. 

4 hours ago, pocopico said:

Try this rd (7.0.1-42214), which also is the current version of redpill (v0.5-git-f3fcc22). It also makes use of Jumkey extra modules load patch and starts inetd for telnet to the system and troubleshooting in case you have e.g a disk map issue. 

Also includes modules and dependencies for tg3, mptsas, mpt2sas, mpt3sas, hpsa and vmxnet3 although sas is not yet supported.

rd.gz.3615.microserver.gen7-8.v2.7z 7.79 MB · 13 downloads

mpt3sas.ko work with raid_class.ko and scsi_transport_sas.ko

32 minutes ago, kaykkay said:

Hi, Would like to know how did you build the bootloader? 

I tried both redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.8 and redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.7.4, both of them are not working. 

I did it this way:

1. in ubuntu,install Docker

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install docker.io

2. install jq & curl:

sudo apt install jq

sudo apt install curl

3. download redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.7.4

4. cd redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.7.4

5. vi apollolake_user_config.json,  edit vid,pid,sn,mac

6. build img

./redpill_tool_chain.sh bulid apollolake-xxx

./redpill_tool_chain.sh run apollolake-xxx

make build_all

(xxx is the version you choose,like  7.0.1-42214)

then the file was in /images

--  if you build again, please follow @haydibe's advice, clean up your build cache and images to benefit from the fix:

docker builder prune --all --filter label=redpill-tool-chain

docker image ls --filter label=redpill-tool-chain --quiet | xargs docker image rm

Edited by snowfox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, erkify said:

Thanks for the work, I have used it on my baremetal G8 microserver and I have been able to update everything, but the system reboots after about 20 minutes and reboots again, any ideas? Thank you

I can confirm that i have the same Gen8 reboots sometimes and again  randomly so in this case i think htis kernel panic.

for the issue with the blank system info i add this line and is working

sed -i 's/supportsystemperature="yes"/supportsystemperature="no"/g' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

sed -i 's/supportsystempwarning="yes"/supportsystempwarning="no"/g' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

information for this line are here

https://gist.github.com/Izumiko/26b8f221af16b99ddad0bdffa90d4329

Edited by nemesis122

8 hours ago, haydibe said:

Everytime when I think, there is nothing left to optimize on the toolchain builder someone commes around and finds something that makes sense to be added... Thus said, here is the v0.9 of the toolchain builder. 

- added sha256  cheksum for kernel and toolkit-dev downloads in `global_config.json`. The item `"download_urls"` is renamed to `"downloads"` and has a new structure. Make sure to allign your custom <platform version> configurations to the new structure when copying them into the `global_config.json`
- check checksum of kernel or toolkit-dev when building the image and fail if checksums missmatch. Will not delete the corrupt file!
- added`"docker.custom_bind_mounts"` in `global_config.json` to add as many custom bind-mounts as you want, set `"docker.use_custom_bind_mounts":` to `"true"` enable the feature. 
- fixed: only download kernel or toolkit-dev required to build the image (always downloaded both before, but only used either one of them when building the image)
- added simple precondition check to see if required tools are available

See README.md for usage.

redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.9.zip 9.32 kB · 67 downloads

Maybe this is a dumb question but how can i download with this 

Bromolow    "id": "bromolow-7.0.1-42214" because it is not in the global_config.json in Toolchain 0.9 or can i create these lines for me in the global config json?

thânk you very much 

31 minutes ago, nemesis122 said:

Bromolow    "id": "bromolow-7.0.1-42214" because it is not in the global_config.json in Toolchain 0.9 or can i create these lines for me in the global config json?

You can add as many platform  version blocks (=set of configurations for a specific version) as you want. Just make sure every new block has a unique id. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, altas said:

@nemesis122 can you pm me your Config for bromolow-7.0.1-42214 for the Toolchain ?

Copy the block with the id "bromolow-7.0-41222", change "id" and "platform_version" to "bromolow-7.0.1-42214", then replace the "redpill_load" subitems "source_url" and "branch" to whatever you want to use and be good... 

The id can be realy anything, it is just used to match the configuration when using the build/auto/run actions. Though, make sure the value of platform_version exactly matches the format "{platform}-{version}-{build}", as this will be used to derive information required for the build.

Edited by haydibe
  • Thanks 2

yesterday i tried upgrade my primary bare metal Xpenology from 6.2.3 to 7.0.1. The problem is that i have two sata controllers:

1st) on board, 2x HDD and 1x SSD M.2 - those drives are detected

2nd) miniPCIE to 2x SATA port, 1x HDD, 1x SATA SSD - those drives are NOT detected

H0af3bbef49fd4b5d975fe0be446becdeV.jpg

All 3x HDD has been used as SHR.

I tried figure out which kernel module is used by second controller. I found this:

sda/sdb/sdc are on first controller:

root@nas:~# udevadm info -a -n /dev/sda | egrep 'looking|DRIVER'
  looking at device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda':
    DRIVER==""
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0':
    DRIVERS=="sd"
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata1/host0/target0:0:0':
    DRIVERS==""
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata1/host0':
    DRIVERS==""
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata1':
    DRIVERS==""
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0':
    DRIVERS=="ahci"
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00':
    DRIVERS==""

sdd/sde are on a second

root@nas:~# udevadm info -a -n /dev/sde | egrep 'looking|DRIVER'
  looking at device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:03:00.0/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sde':
    DRIVER==""
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:03:00.0/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0':
    DRIVERS=="sd"
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:03:00.0/ata5/host4/target4:0:0':
    DRIVERS==""
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:03:00.0/ata5/host4':
    DRIVERS==""
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:03:00.0/ata5':
    DRIVERS==""
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:03:00.0':
    DRIVERS=="ahci"
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4':
    DRIVERS=="pcieport"
  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00':
    DRIVERS==""

but i cannot find pcieport module ("lsmod | grep pcie" return empty result)

in dmesq i found only:

root@nas:~# dmesg | grep pcie
[    1.474876] aer 0000:00:1c.0:pcie02: service driver aer loaded
[    1.474903] aer 0000:00:1c.3:pcie02: service driver aer loaded
[    1.474927] aer 0000:00:1c.4:pcie02: service driver aer loaded
[    1.474945] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: Signaling PME through PCIe PME interrupt
[    1.474951] pcie_pme 0000:00:1c.0:pcie01: service driver pcie_pme loaded
[    1.474959] pcieport 0000:00:1c.3: Signaling PME through PCIe PME interrupt
[    1.474964] pcie_pme 0000:00:1c.3:pcie01: service driver pcie_pme loaded
[    1.474972] pcieport 0000:00:1c.4: Signaling PME through PCIe PME interrupt
[    1.474977] pcie_pme 0000:00:1c.4:pcie01: service driver pcie_pme loaded

About ASM1061 i found this patch

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-pci/patch/1315453426-8796-1-git-send-email-kengyu@canonical.com/#2458742

and probably this is it:

root@nas:~# lspci -k

[...]

0000:03:00.0 Class 0106: Device 1b21:0612 (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Device 1b21:1060
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
[...]

Can someone help me to compile "module?" this this patch? The problem is that ahci is build in kernel (not as module) but ata_generic probably is also required. I don`t know, how is this working on 6.2.3 ( i have added extra drivers by IG-88)

13 hours ago, scoobdriver said:

@WiteWulf Out of interest are you passing any additional Parameters for the onboard b120i sata controller 

SataIdxMap , SataPortMap etc ? 

Just going to try using the onboard controller in ACHI mode , as HBA support doesn't seem quite there yet . 

Do we still need to pass SataIdxMap=0C00 to pass the USB boot to position 13 , etc ?  

Nope, nothing additional at all. "It just works", as Steve would have said 😀

2 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

I can confirm that i have the same Gen8 reboots sometimes and again  randomly so in this case i think htis kernel panic.

It's interesting that you and @erkify are seeing spontaneous reboots, and that they could be associated with Docker containers. Can you both please monitor the serial console output (if you can) and see what's happening on your systems when they crash? I was having a lot of these reboots on my Gen8 when I initially went to 6.2.4 on redpill, and they persisted when I moved to 7.0.1

More detail here if you're interested in helping solve this one:

for the issue with the blank system info i add this line and is working

sed -i 's/supportsystemperature="yes"/supportsystemperature="no"/g' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

sed -i 's/supportsystempwarning="yes"/supportsystempwarning="no"/g' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

information for this line are here

https://gist.github.com/Izumiko/26b8f221af16b99ddad0bdffa90d4329

Thanks for the above, I've had the same blank General tab problem and this fixed it. Am I right in thinking that synoinfo.conf gets recreated at boot time? Would those lines need to go in a script that gets run regularly for it to be persistent?

11 hours ago, haydibe said:

Everytime when I think, there is nothing left to optimize on the toolchain builder someone commes around and finds something that makes sense to be added... Thus said, here is the v0.9 of the toolchain builder. 

Thanks for the continued hard work developing and supporting this, @haydibe, it's an invaluable resource for those community members for whom maintaining docker is a stretch of the *nix skills. The streamlining of the build process also leaves a lot more time for us to get on with solving compatibility issues and bugs with the redpill tools themselves, so everyone wins!

• Like 1

@WiteWulf

{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "pid": "0x0001",
    "vid": "0x46f4",
    "sn": "1330Lxxxxx",
    "mac1": "0011xxxxxx",
    "DiskIdxMap": "1000",
    "SataPortMap": "4",
    "SasIdxMap": "0"
  },
  "synoinfo": {
    "supportsystemperature": "no",
    "supportsystempwarning": "no"

},
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

This works on a fresh install.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Thanks for the above, I've had the same blank General tab problem and this fixed it. Am I right in thinking that synoinfo.conf gets recreated at boot time? Would those lines need to go in a script that gets run regularly for it to be persistent?

synoinfo.conf gets patched by the loader image like @Orphée says so its a permanent across reboots solution.

• Like 1

Is anyone using a usb to lan adapter on his machine? Before the DSM7 upgrade it worked just fine to me as the driver was supported in DSM itself. It tried getting it to work with the method described by mariushosting but it's not working. I can't put in a pcie card because that slot is already occupied by a sata controller

Yeah, good point, only had one coffee so far today and hadn't thought of that :D  I'll add it next time I do a boot stick rebuild.

Of course it would be nice if the redpill shim could actually allow access to the monitoring hardware in the server and provide the temperature stats. I would have thought DSM was simply calling lm-sensors, but those tools don't appear to be on the system 🤔

Edited by WiteWulf

Wite Wulf wrote"It's interesting that you and @erkify are seeing spontaneous reboots, and that they could be associated with Docker containers. Can you both please monitor the serial console output (if you can) and see what's happening on your systems when they crash? I was having a lot of these reboots on my Gen8 when I initially went to 6.2.4 on redpill, and they persisted when I moved to 7.0.1" 

i can confirm i have exactly the same but its not depending docker or whatever the system reboots:

• Install docker
  • create a Docker as example JD2
  • install some packets from the synology repo
  • it is randomly with redpillloader for DSM 7 and DSM 25556

but i havent  serial console output on my gen8 how can i do this ?

11 minutes ago, nemesis122 said:

but i havent  serial console output on my gen8 how can i do this ?

You need to configure the iLO4 monitoring and management card that's built in to your Gen8. Here's a very brief overview:

- connect the iLO port on the rear of your Gen8 to the LAN, it should DHCP and get an IP address

- configure the iLO (outside the scope of this post, look it up online)

- ssh into the iLO and run the command 'vsp', this will connect your ssh session to a virtual serial console

There is plenty of information online about configuring the iLO as the Gen8 is so commonly used by hobbyists and for home labs. It's an invaluable resource to have on such a cheap home server and you should really learn how to use it 👍

NB. some people with Gen8s have observed the uart_switcher component of redpill incorrectly redirecting the serial console to a different tty, so you don't see any output after a relatively early part of the boot process. I'm not sure how to fix this :(

Edited by WiteWulf

Hi yes have done this all is working but i didnt know that i can connect with putty on the ilo interface.

but with the command asp i have :

status=2
status_tag=COMMAND PROCESSING FAILED
error_tag=COMMAND NOT RECOGNIZED
Fri Sep 17 08:03:14 2021

iks there a guide for connection to serial console to the loader ?

Edited by nemesis122