XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

15 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Regardless of what upgrade/migration/fresh build approach you take, you should always take a backup of your data first. The developers do not recommend this release for production use in it's current state and you should not risk your data with it.

With that in mind...

It's not possible to do an "upgrade" from 6.2.3/Jun's loader (which I assume you're on at present) in the sense of invoking an upgrade in the DSM Control Panel. However, most people on here refer to the following procedure as "upgrade", although it's really a migration:   

- take a backup

- shutdown your server

- remove the Jun's bootloader USB stick

- replace with a new USB stick with the redpill loader on it, built with your SN, MAC address(es) and VID/PID in the grub.cfg

- boot the server on the redpill stick

- the server should dchp and you can either use the Syno tool to find it, or look at the DHCP logs on your router and see what IP address it gets

- browse to http://<your_server_ip>:5001, if it's gone well you should see the Syno web page telling you that it's found disks from another Synology server and offering to migrate them for you. Run through the migration process and you should have 7.x server with all your existing data, settings and packages preserved

Did I mention to TAKE A BACKUP first? :D

Can I ask what you are backing up to, how you are backing it up and is it everything on your NAS including (potentially) music, movies, pics, TV etc etc or just the main OS install and associated config? 

2 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

from Haydibe 0.73 docker file created redpillloader  (redpill-DS3615xs_7.0.1-42214_b1631729759.img)  bromolow-7.0.1-42214  installed with this PAT file from the compiler itself (ds3615xs_42214.pat) on my HP gen8 nic intel X520 SFP+ x2

all is working but when i set a docker container  as example JD2 the system shutdown and reboot

I think this is NIC driver Related how can i compile or add this linux driver to the loader or the installed server  ?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/39776/intel-ethernet-converged-network-adapter-x520-da2.html

thank you for all tips and help

EDIT it seems is fixed with this file from this thread thank you for the creator.

Also tested/compiled  Redpill Loader with redpill-DS3615xs_6.2.4-25556_b1631723311.img DSM 25556 (pat file ds3615xs_25556.pat) this one is working great and Rock solid.

edit not fixed copy files over smb the server reboot

Edited by nemesis122

7 hours ago, Ermite said:

Installed bromolow-7.0.1-42214 to my HP N54L.
I was used Jun's Loader 1.03b (DSM 6.2.3) and all HDD fully migrated with no error. (only keep my data, drop before config)
and it work well, but some part is not work.

1. Info Center - General tab is blank.
2. USB UPS cannot work. I'm using APC UPS, it worked with 6.2.3.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 09.03.25.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 09.03.48.png

The blank “General” screen in Control Panel is a known bug in the Synology software, I believe. 

Not sure what the problem is with the UPS, though.
- Is DSM seeing the UPS there at all? Sorry, was posting from my phone earlier and couldn't see the screenshot you'd posted clearly, "No USB UPS connected"

- Is it listed by Synology as a supported device in 7.x?

- Can you see it if you run ‘lsusb’ from the cli?

- Have a look at the console output and see what’s happening when you connect the UPS to the server. Any obvious errors?

Edited by WiteWulf

2 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

all is working but when i set a docker container  as example JD2 the system shutdown and reboot

I think this is NIC driver Related

rd.gz.microserver.7z 8.08 MB · 1 download

This is interesting, I was seeing similar behaviour with Docker, although mostly with one particular container (influxdb). What is the exact spec of your micro server, please?

Are you sure it’s shutting down and rebooting? My system would kernel panic and do a hard reboot, followed by a notification from DSM that it was “shutdown improperly” and then it does disk scrubbing to check integrity. 

Watch the serial console output while you run docker and see if it’s kernel panic’ing, then post the output of you can. 

You’re the only other person I’ve seen with docker related reboots so I’m curious to know more. I posted more about my experience here.

1 hour ago, Franks4fingers said:

Can I ask what you are backing up to, how you are backing it up and is it everything on your NAS including (potentially) music, movies, pics, TV etc etc or just the main OS install and associated config? 

I'm doing two things:

- take a system configuration backup from Control Panel -> Update & Restore -> Manual Export. This produces a small file that I store somewhere safe

- use Hyper Backup from the Synology Package Centre to create a backup of all Folders and Applications to a 6TB USB3 external HDD

With these two steps complete I should be able to rebuild my server from a clean install if necessary, or at least get very close to it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

The blank “General” screen in Control Panel is a known bug in the Synology software, I believe. 

Not sure what the problem is with the UPS, though.
- Is DSM seeing the UPS there at all? Sorry, was posting from my phone earlier and couldn't see the screenshot you'd posted clearly, "No USB UPS connected"

- Is it listed by Synology as a supported device in 7.x?

- Can you see it if you run ‘lsusb’ from the cli?

- Have a look at the console output and see what’s happening when you connect the UPS to the server. Any obvious errors?

Oh. 3615xs not listed in my UPS support List (https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility?search_by=category&category=upses&filter_brand=APC&p=1&change_log_p=1)
image.thumb.png.cb22bc47990e4f1d147a658f20829cfe.png

But it is weird. Why this UPS can work with 3615xs in DSM 6.2.3?

When I return home, take a log(dmesg, lsusb) when UPS disconnected and connected.

12 minutes ago, ct85msi said:

@WiteWulf, maybe this is our fix?

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/commit/f486cc8c873950660d9ee08054478b7b4629ced6

Can someone test? I have a baremetal and it`s not near me to change the usb boot stick to test :)

Yeah, that'll definitely be it.

At this point I'd like to take the opportunity to thank @ThorGroup for the excellent quality of their code commenting, it's really very professional and makes figuring out stuff like this much easier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WiteWulf said:

This is interesting, I was seeing similar behaviour with Docker, although mostly with one particular container (influxdb). What is the exact spec of your micro server, please?

Are you sure it’s shutting down and rebooting? My system would kernel panic and do a hard reboot, followed by a notification from DSM that it was “shutdown improperly” and then it does disk scrubbing to check integrity. 

Watch the serial console output while you run docker and see if it’s kernel panic’ing, then post the output of you can. 

You’re the only other person I’ve seen with docker related reboots so I’m curious to know more. I posted more about my experience here.

Hi no im note sure this can also be  Kernel panic the server reboots and in the log -->“shutdown improperly” and then it does disk scrubbing to check integrity. 

this is happen with docker running or creating, also this is happen when i copy files over smb

Specs :

this server is running under 1.03 DSM 6.2 without any issue and superfast 

1230v2 CPU and Intel X520 SFP+ 2 NIC

Controller is in AHCI Mode 

12 GB RAM

4x3TB this is my Testserver for new XPE Releases :-)

because im a little bit  sick and i love XPE ( I have 4 this little boxes and one big one with loader Loader 1.02b 3615 DSM 6.1 4 x 6tb and 2 1 TB SSD cache drives it runs over smb 920 MB/sec :-)

Edited by nemesis122

15 minutes ago, Ermite said:

Oh. 3615xs not listed in my UPS support List (https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility?search_by=category&category=upses&filter_brand=APC&p=1&change_log_p=1)
image.thumb.png.cb22bc47990e4f1d147a658f20829cfe.png

But it is weird. Why this UPS can work with 3615xs in DSM 6.2.3?

When I return home, take a log(dmesg, lsusb) when UPS disconnected and connected.

http://www.jadahl.com/iperf-arp-scan/DSM_7.0/bromolow/

Download driver you need and copy to your NAS.

Place the drivers in /lib/modules folder.

Then run:

sudo insmod /lib/modules/usbserial.ko

sudo insmod /lib/modules/cp210x.ko

If your driver is cp210x.ko.

You can also download the start-usb-drivers.sh script and copy to folder:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/start-usb-drivers.sh

Then:

chmod +x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/start-usb-drivers.sh

The the drivers will be loaded when you reboot your NAS.

You must edit the start-usb-drivers.sh script if you want to load another driver.

/Jadahl

You may want to give it a try.

1 minute ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi no im note sure this can also be  Kernel panic the server reboots and in the log -->“shutdown improperly” and then it does disk scrubbing to check integrity. 

this is happen with docker running or creating, also this is happen when i copy files over smb

In that case I'd definitely suggest watching the serial console output and seeing what happens when it reboots because of docker or SMB activity.

Hi guys!

I need some explanation about Proxmox passtrough / SMART vs ESXi...

I'm using ESXi and never played with Proxmox.

Refering to my current issue with ESXi : https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/issues/19

I'm using ESXi 7.0 with a LSI 9211-8i IT SAS card.

As VMWare dropped this card support with 7.x it can't work on VMWare directly (So can't use RDM unless I revert back to esxi 6.7). But until now, with Jun's loader. I'm able to passtrough PCI the card directly to the Xpenology VM and it works totally fine.

But with Redpill loader, until @ThorGroup maybe find a workaround, I would like to know how Proxmox with these type of cards.

Is Proxmox able to give the disk with SMART data working in Xpenology without a full passtrough like ESXi ?

With ESXi 6.7 I was able to give disks to VM as RDM, but SMART then was KO. The only way to make SMART work always were to passtrough the whole LSI card directly to VM.

Thanks for your explanations :)

Edit : By the way, did someone try to give disk to redpill loader with RDM on ESXi ? does it work ? (I can't test)

Edited by Orphée

25 minutes ago, nemesis122 said:

What has changed with this commit?

thank you

The clue's in the title :D

"Dial back ioctl() logging"

ct85msi and I had noticed excessive logging of ioctl() messages (not errors) to the console. This should have no functional impact on the operation of the system.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, haydibe said:

Thanks, that reminds me that I wanted to add checksum validation for the downloaded files. I would put my money on "corrupt or incomplete download", delete the file mentioned in your screenshot and try again.

ok,success pass;

the "clean all" will not delete this file🤣

3 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Yeah, I had a feeling it was going to be a USB serial port issue...

So, after doing some googling, it seems Synology have dropped support for ALL USB devices other than storage in DSM 7. This is causing problems for lots of people with USB TV tuners, DACs, WiFi, serial ports, zigbee interfaces, Bluetooth, printers, you name it. 

https://mariushosting.com/synology-how-to-add-usb-support-on-dsm-7/

Edited by WiteWulf
  • Angry 1

Il y a 7 heures, nemesis122 a dit :

from Haydibe 0.73 docker file created redpillloader  (redpill-DS3615xs_7.0.1-42214_b1631729759.img)  bromolow-7.0.1-42214  installed with this PAT file from the compiler itself (ds3615xs_42214.pat) on my HP gen8 nic intel X520 SFP+ x2

I think this is NIC driver Related how can i compile or add this linux driver to the loader or the installed server  ?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/39776/intel-ethernet-converged-network-adapter-x520-da2.html

thank you for all tips and help

EDIT it seems is fixed with this file from this thread thank you for the creator.

Also tested/compiled  Redpill Loader with redpill-DS3615xs_6.2.4-25556_b1631723311.img DSM 25556 (pat file ds3615xs_25556.pat) this one is working great and Rock solid.

rd.gz.microserver.7z 8 Mo · 10 downloads

Hello,

I'm pretty interested about the loader you used for the HP Gen8 as i have one also. I'm wondering if you can generate a loader with Nvidia drivers inside ?

37 minutes ago, ozef said:

I'm pretty interested about the loader you used for the HP Gen8 as i have one also. I'm wondering if you can generate a loader with Nvidia drivers inside ?

Hi, I really doubt that they will fit inside the loader image as the ramdisk at least for MBR cannot exceed certain size. But whats the purpose of nvidia drivers in xpenology ?  

il y a 41 minutes, pocopico a dit :

Hi, I really doubt that they will fit inside the loader image as the ramdisk at least for MBR cannot exceed certain size. But whats the purpose of nvidia drivers in xpenology ?  

il y a 22 minutes, scoobdriver a dit :

I'm interested in your use case for wanting Nvidia drivers ? what are you intending to use it for ? a VM in VMM ? 

Well, as my CPU does not have GPU integrated, i bought a nvidia card to have H/W transcoding on my JellyFin server.

So i'd really like that we can inject nvidia drivers in any way to get that H/W transcode working :)

4 minutes ago, ozef said:

Well, as my CPU does not have GPU integrated, i bought a nvidia card to have H/W transcoding on my JellyFin server.

So i'd really like that we can inject nvidia drivers in any way to get that H/W transcode working :)

OK I was not aware that was possible , I thought you had to use the 918+ platform to support HW transcoding (which doesn't support the CPU in the Gen8 ) 

il y a 10 minutes, scoobdriver a dit :

OK I was not aware that was possible , I thought you had to use the 918+ platform to support HW transcoding (which doesn't support the CPU in the Gen8 ) 

Well, it's quite possible that it is undoable :D I saw some topics talking about the nvidia runtime library and able to see their Nvidia GPU with some manual copy of drivers but even that, i'm not able to see my gpu.

I'm wondering if we can install 918+ loader on hp microserv gen8

Edited by ozef