XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

8 hours ago, SachinD said:

@ThorGroup My understanding is that for ESXi the vmdk is split into 2 files the raw data (Diskname-flat.vmdk) and the raw disk descriptor (Diskname.vmdk), whereas other products like VMWare Workstation have the descriptor followed by the disk data in a single vmdk file.. hope that helps.

Agreed, wondering if this is issue. VMDKs created by StarWinds V2V Converter so work in ESXi, but you have to choose "ESXi Pre-Allocated" as the option in StarWinds V2V Converter, which produces the flat file and the descriptor file. When I upload both of them to ESXi datastore, ESXi merges the two files it seems into 1 VMDK file, which then can be used with a VM.

5 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

I'm having the same issue as @scoobdriver, using @haydibe's docker build environment. My docker-fu is lacking :(

First I did a './redpill_tool_chain.sh clean all ', followed by './redpill_tool_chain.sh build bromolow-7.0.1-42214' which completes successfully, but  './redpill_tool_chain.sh auto bromolow-7.0.1-42214' fails as per scoobdriver's report.

I did './redpill_tool_chain.sh run bromolow-7.0.1-42214' to get an interactive shell, then cd'd into '/opt/redpill-load' and ran the command above: 

root@redpill-tool-chain:/opt/redpill-load# git fetch --all && git reset --hard origin/develop && git pull
Fetching origin
remote: Enumerating objects: 89, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (89/89), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (45/45), done.
remote: Total 69 (delta 31), reused 62 (delta 24), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (69/69), done.
From https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load
+ dcd6217...5b69d3f develop    -> origin/develop  (forced update)
+ 4951ed8...61c5e3d master     -> origin/master  (forced update)
HEAD is now at 5b69d3f 7.0.1 RC
Already up-to-date.

The almost exactly the same issue here, I just get a slightly different output but in general it also fails with: *** Please tell me who you are.

Edited by ghtester

6 minutes ago, ghtester said:

The almost exactly the same issue here, I just get a slightly different output but in general it also fails with: *** Please tell me who you are.

Well my later posts show that I got further than that. I deleted all my docker images and the redpill toolchain builder folder with the cached data in it and started from scratch (it only takes a few minutes to download it all, just make sure you hang on to the relevant json config file for your platform). Checking out the git repos works after I do that, but it fails at creating the image, needing a '-f' switch on a copy command. I can get into the running docker container and edit the file.sh as suggested by jumpy, but then I don't know how to call the build properly from within the running container. If I save file.sh and exit the container the script reverts back to it's previous state, missing the '-f' switch. Hopefully haydibe will update their docker scripts at some point to support this new redpill release. I'm in no hurry, though as I have a (mostly) working system at present and there are bigger things to address.

Edited by WiteWulf

Thanks @ThorGroup for RedPill, @haydibe for creating boot loader with docker and @Amoureux for instructions on creating boot loader with macOS.  I used macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and Xcode 12.4 and was able to create boot loader for apollolake-7.0.1-42214.  Install went without error on an Asrock J3455-itx motherboard. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

Hopefully haydibe will update their docker scripts at some point to support this new redpill release. I'm in no hurry, though as I have a (mostly) working system at present and there are bigger things to address.

Exactly, the docker from @haydibe is a great tool and hopefully he'll be able to find some free time to update the scripts later.

BTW. I am already testing DSM 7.0.1 installed on veteran baremetal HP ML110G5 using bromolow-7.0.1-42214 bootloader compiled couple days ago. Seems to be working fine but I had to install a supported network card (E100E compatible as I am not still able to properly compile a necessary modules with bromolow toolchain).

Also it was necessary to enable RAID in BIOS and put  DiskIdxMap=00 SataPortMap=4 SasIdxMap=0  mapping to cmdline.

1 hour ago, snowfox said:

unfortunately,  I encountered this problem again。 I have repeatedly confirmed that vid and PID are correct!

When I don't have a 10G network card, I can install it successfully.  What's the problem ?

err55%.jpg

I solved the problem. The reason is that the root account is not used to edit the file. That's stupid!

It seems the latest release of rp-lkm/rp-load is causing install issues again with DSM v7 and ESXi (at least on 3615 platform). I have not tried 918 but using latest redpill, loader boots, but install fails like many others have posted. /var/log/messages reports an error mounting synoboot2 even though SATA boot option is used. Guessing something broke with the changes to SATA shimming in latest releases. Curious what @ThorGroup sees since I believe they posted elsewhere they tested on ESXi this time and all worked fine.

Also curious if you all testing this same setup as well get synboot2 mounting errors in /var/log/messages. I get the gpio pin messages spam too by the way on the console output. I know a few others posted they were getting that on one of the GH issues.

4 minutes ago, ilovepancakes said:

It seems the latest release of rp-lkm/rp-load is causing install issues again with DSM v7 and ESXi (at least on 3615 platform). I have not tried 918 but using latest redpill, loader boots, but install fails like many others have posted. /var/log/messages reports an error mounting synoboot2 even though SATA boot option is used. Guessing something broke with the changes to SATA shimming in latest releases. Curious what @ThorGroup sees since I believe they posted elsewhere they tested on ESXi this time and all worked fine.

Also curious if you all testing this same setup as well get synboot2 mounting errors in /var/log/messages. I get the gpio pin messages spam too by the way on the console output. I know a few others posted they were getting that on one of the GH issues.

Hi,

i got the same issue as you, it looks like redpill is failing at the time of the boot device shim and then i get no synoboot

@ThorGroup

[    9.296466] <redpill/boot_device_shim.c:48> Registering boot device router shim
[    9.297930] <redpill/native_sata_boot_shim.c:205> Registering native SATA DOM boot device shim
[    9.298931] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at           (null)
[    9.300841] IP: [<ffffffffa0009663>] register_native_sata_boot_shim+0x33/0x1d0 [redpill]
[    9.302811] PGD 137f9c067 PUD 137f9b067 PMD 0
[    9.303770] Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP
[    9.303944] Modules linked in: redpill(OF+)
[    9.304117] CPU: 3 PID: 521 Comm: insmod Tainted: GF          O 3.10.108 #42214
[    9.304291] Hardware name: VMware, Inc. VMware Virtual Platform/440BX Desktop Reference Platform, BIOS 6.00 07/29/2019
[    9.304465] task: ffff880137d68820 ti: ffff880135d4c000 task.ti: ffff880135d4c000
[    9.314116] RIP: 0010:[<ffffffffa0009663>]  [<ffffffffa0009663>] register_native_sata_boot_shim+0x33/0x1d0 [redpill]

2 hours ago, ilovepancakes said:

There was an error in module code, see issues on GitHub. Recreate the image and try again 

• Like 1

I am not sure guys what you did, but I was able to build all variations supported by the bootchain loader without the issues you had (except the bug with 'WARNING: "unregister_native_sata_boot_shim" [/opt/redpill-lkm/redpill.ko] undefined!').

Once you map a modified local redpill-load folder into the build container, its up to you to merge changes from the remote branch into your local copy yourself. This will prevent a pull in "auto" as your head moved in a different direction than the head of the redpill-load repository. This is the effect of manual doing and needs to be "fixed" manually - I used double quotes as this is common git day to day routine and nothing the bootloader should handle. While some people might prefer a `reset --hard` other would start to curse if all their customizations suddenly disappear. Sadly a "do what I want" implementation rarely works for everyone, as everyone wants it to do something differernt...

Though, What I can implement is a flag to define whether build-cache should be leveraged or not AND if clean should just delete the orphaned images or all. Still: this will not help if a local redpill-load folder is mapped into the container.

Edited by haydibe

Anyone has this error ?

./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-7.0-41890

Unable to find image 'redpill-tool-chain:apollolake-7.0-41890' locally

docker: Error response from daemon: pull access denied for redpill-tool-chain, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied.

See 'docker run --help'

I really can't figure out what's wrong with it.

Is docker.local_rp_load_use set to true in your global_settings.json? 

If so:

15 minutes ago, haydibe said:

Once you map a modified local redpill-load folder into the build container, its up to you to merge changes from the remote branch into your local copy yourself. This will prevent a pull in "auto" as your head moved in a different direction than the head of the redpill-load repository. This is the effect of manual doing and needs to be "fixed" manually - I used double quotes as this is common git day to day routine and nothing the bootloader should handle. While some people might prefer a `reset --hard` other would start to curse if all their customizations suddenly disappear. Sadly a "do what I want" implementation rarely works for everyone, as everyone wants it to do something differernt...

Edited by haydibe

After the last commits, the installation of DS918+ and DS3615xs loaders on VMware are working fine with a minor issue at the grub of DS918+

- Install and migration for DS918 and DS3615 works

- Creation of volume works without the need for the previous workaround

@ThorGroup Someone should add an entry at GRUB on the 918 loader for the SATA dom. I needed to add synoboot_satadom=2 manually to properly boot.

Edited by pocopico

Hi there.

First of all, thank everyone for the work you do.

I am not a developer, just a restless user. I have used the tocinillo2 bootloader, but I get this error.

image.thumb.png.af8fbc47bc5ac204e627ad056fe1811d.png

I have read the sataportmap threads but I don't know which file to modify.

Can someone help me or give an example? Thanks!!!

I use a HP ProDesk 600 G1 tower intel G3220 4 sata disk.-

Sorry for my Google Translator...

After updating to the latest loader from @ThorGroup for apollolake-7.0.1-42214 on bare metal.  Getting the following continuous output from the serial console port after the login prompt.

[ 1058.295195] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x128b) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1058.319831] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x128b) for /dev/sdq
[ 1058.327268] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x128b) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1058.337546] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x5331) for /dev/sdq
[ 1058.344832] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x5331) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1058.356003] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x5331) for /dev/sdq
[ 1058.363266] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x5331) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1058.416315] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x5331) for /dev/sdq
[ 1058.423548] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x5331) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1072.226135] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x2285) for /dev/sda
[ 1072.233453] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x2285) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1072.270554] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x2285) for /dev/sdb
[ 1072.277736] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x2285) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1072.306639] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x2285) for /dev/sdc
[ 1072.313918] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x2285) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1072.460054] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x2285) for /dev/sdd
[ 1072.467306] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x2285) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1073.194862] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x30d) for /dev/sda
[ 1073.202052] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x30d) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1073.210116] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x31f) for /dev/sda
[ 1073.225110] <redpill/smart_shim.c:340> ATA_CMD_ID_ATA confirmed SMART support - noop
[ 1073.233767] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x30d) for /dev/sdb
[ 1073.240898] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x30d) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1073.248680] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x31f) for /dev/sdb
[ 1073.266068] <redpill/smart_shim.c:340> ATA_CMD_ID_ATA confirmed SMART support - noop
[ 1073.274584] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x30d) for /dev/sdc
[ 1073.281709] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x30d) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1073.289488] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x31f) for /dev/sdc
[ 1073.308908] <redpill/smart_shim.c:340> ATA_CMD_ID_ATA confirmed SMART support - noop
[ 1073.317423] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x30d) for /dev/sdd
[ 1073.324610] <redpill/smart_shim.c:809> sd_ioctl(0x30d) - not a hooked ioctl, noop
[ 1073.332575] <redpill/smart_shim.c:794> Handling ioctl(0x31f) for /dev/sdd

Getting this notification from the USB Boot Thumbdrive.

USB_Drive_Error.JPG.968cf149af5e9403a2abb6894b72387c.JPG

Seems I missed to test the bromolow-7.0.1 image... So this is the one that caused this mystery behavior. 

I disabled the build cache now by default - it can be turned on again in global_settings.json.

Now "clean all" deletes all images, including the last build one.

changes in v0.7.3 :

- fixed usage of label that determins the redpill-tool-chain images for clean up

- add `"docker.use_build_cache": "false"` to global_settings.json

- add `"docker.clean_images": "all"` to global_settings.json (set to orphaned to cleanup everything except the latest build)

See README.md for usage.

When I introduced labels, I must have made a last adjustment to the Dockerfile, which actual resulted in all images beeing created using the correct key, but with the wrong value (=all  identical) .

Please clean up your build cache and images to benefit from the fix:

docker builder prune --all --filter label=redpill-tool-chain
docker image ls --filter label=redpill-tool-chain --quiet | xargs docker image rm

redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.7.3.zip

Edited by haydibe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8

14 hours ago, snowfox said:

thank you again! I successfully driven the Intel 10G network card!

and I want to know how do you compile ko files

for example:

clone related driver form https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/drivers(But this is not a recommended practice. If the source of the group Synology GPL7.0 is released and the drivers you need are in the drivers folder, the best practice is to select the driver from the synology GPL source.)

cd drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe
make CONFIG_IXGBE=m CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- -C /usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-root/usr/lib/modules/DSM-7.0/build/ M=`pwd` modules 

notice: CONFIG_IXGBE=m  you need found the CONFIG_IXGBE string form Makefile in /drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe if you want to compile other drivers