XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

Baremetal DSM7 for a HP GEN8
i have got one from WiteWulf but it stops somewhere

[   12.592818] <redpill/override_symbol.c:308> Writing original code to <fffffff f81326de0>
[   12.595230] <redpill/override_symbol.c:308> Released lock for <ffffffff81326de0>
[   12.597539] <redpill/override_symbol.c:291> Obtaining lock for <ffffffff81326de0>
[   12.599856] <redpill/override_symbol.c:291> Writing trampoline code to <fffff fff81326de0>
[   12.602495] <redpill/override_symbol.c:291> Released lock for <ffffffff81326de0>
[   12.604837] <redpill/intercept_driver_register.c:140> Calling for DWATCH_STAT E_LIVE
[   12.607215] <redpill/virtual_uart.c:710> serial8250 driver loaded - adding queued ports
[   12.609696] <redpill/virtual_uart.c:719> Processing enqueued port 1
[   12.611764] <redpill/virtual_uart.c:812> Registering ttyS1 (io=0x2f8) in the driver

27 minutes ago, altas said:

Right after that, the system is supposed to extract the ramdisk. The issue can be that you have a big or corrupted rd.gz.

I noticed that only the uncompressed image gets extracted successfully on some systems for some reason

***edit and the reason is explained on the loader Documentation for developers :

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-load/blob/master/FOR_DEVS.md

compress_rd specified if ramdisk image should be compressed or should be left as a flat CPIO archive. In general, you always want the compressed one. However, some kernels have a syno-broken decompression routines and require a flat CPIO instead. To keep the consistency the ramdisk file will always be called rd.gz (regardless of the compression type or lack thereof)

Edited by pocopico

7 hours ago, jumkey said:

not tested

make CONFIG_SYNO_LSP_RTD1619=y CONFIG_R8168=n CONFIG_R8168_PG=n CONFIG_R8125=m CROSS_COMPILE=/root/build/apollolake-DSM-7.0-toolchain/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- -C /root/build/apollolake-DSM-7.0-toolkit/build/ M=`pwd` modules

r8125.ko 200.34 kB · 5 downloads

918+ 7.0.1 test fine,thanks

20210910183749.png

On 9/8/2021 at 3:39 PM, s2k7 said:

my DS3615xs in a docker was same with u. hangs up after adding photos to Photo app and after starting face recognition.

I've resolved this issue by adding extra parameter to linux kernel (to grub command line): intel_iommu=igfx_off.

In my case it was caused by some error in kernel.

Hi,

I've question: Is such log normal or is something bad in my system:

2021-09-09T20:00:51+02:00 DS kernel: [    2.863870] Module [apollolake_synobios] is removed. 
2021-09-09T20:00:51+02:00 DS kernel: [    2.863943] synobios: unload
2021-09-09T20:00:51+02:00 DS kernel: [    2.864035] <redpill/bios_shim.c:96> apollolake_synobios BIOS went away - you may get a kernel panic if YOU unloaded it 

5 hours ago, altas said:

I'm not convinced it's "stopping". The last logs you see appear to be it configuring a serial port. This is very early on in the boot sequence, I think it may be switching console output to that new serial port, rather than the one you're looking at (the virtual one on your iLO).

Do you have an advanced license for your iLO?

Is it bringing up a NIC and DHCP'ing?

Edited by WiteWulf

Hi everyone.

I'm a satisfied user, but I was thinking of trying DMS 7.
My Mobo is the Asrock J4005B-ITX + 2x4GB 2400 RAM +  WD Purple 2TB HDD+ etc HW's and my System is DMS 6.2.3 (918+, Loader 1.04B loader, Pendrive)

I will be using a new Pendrive and HDD because if the installation will be fail, I can restore the current system(DMS 6.2.3)

I'm reading the topic, and I have some questions:
 - This is a developer loader: Google Drive link => this is a good link or I'm a noob😀
 This is a ,,step by step codex"?
  - Download the loader
  - mount OFSmount and replace the SN (918+) PID and VID
  - Download the latest path file : 918+ => DSM 7.0.1 (Version: 7.0.1-42214)
  - I continue the installation on the web interface and install the 7.01 image, that I'm writing

1 hour ago, WiteWulf said:

I'm not convinced it's "stopping". The last logs you see appear to be it configuring a serial port. This is very early on in the boot sequence, I think it may be switching console output to that new serial port, rather than the one you're looking at (the virtual one on your iLO).

Do you have an advanced license for your iLO?

Is it bringing up a NIC and DHCP'ing?

only Free License for iLO :)

the NIC is active but no IP/DHCP Lease

16 minutes ago, stigma86 said:

This is a ,,step by step codex"?
  - Download the loader
  - mount OFSmount and replace the SN (918+) PID and VID
  - Download the latest path file : 918+ => DSM 7.0.1 (Version: 7.0.1-42214)
  - I continue the installation on the web interface and install the 7.01 image, that I'm writing

this is still dev so at your own risk...

you need haydibe docker then building, rufus to your usb and try/error.

no cookbook so far.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:47 PM, Orphée said:

So with telnet I did :

insmod /usr/lib/modules/vmxnet3.ko

systemctl restart rc-network

and then I have network...

Don't know what I did wrong but module is not loaded at boot.

Edit : nevermind, it has to be after the "fi" line

not inside...

I have the same issue, how to resolve?

8A8E17F1-C7B8-413D-A67D-DB359010659A.png

Edited by vaguecupid

5 hours ago, pocopico said:

Oh ! then that looks like a great opportunity for @haydibe to include the module creation on his next redpill_tool_chain release ;)

Sure, lets assume I add the unmodified kernel sources, and you provide the commands required to inject those in an image created by redpill-load, it can be done. Contribute the required commands, and I bake them into the Makefile target "auto". 

Though if it's something where I would need to modify the redpill-load sources, then its a hard pass...

52 minutes ago, altas said:

only Free License for iLO :)

the NIC is active but no IP/DHCP Lease

I’m sure I asked you this already in DM, but:

- are you using the internal NIC or a confirmed compatible PCIe NIC? Internal NIC doesn’t have the necessary driver included in redpill

- did you edit the grub.cfg of the image to include your own SN, VID/PID and the MAC address(es) of your NIC(s)?

14 hours ago, jumkey said:

not tested

make CONFIG_SYNO_LSP_RTD1619=y CONFIG_R8168=n CONFIG_R8168_PG=n CONFIG_R8125=m CROSS_COMPILE=/root/build/apollolake-DSM-7.0-toolchain/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- -C /root/build/apollolake-DSM-7.0-toolkit/build/ M=`pwd` modules

r8125.ko 200.34 kB · 11 downloads

It works. Could you help to compile the driver module for Aquantia AQtion 10G Lan for 918+ 7.0.1?

Lan.thumb.jpg.0f09d742ae2eedbfedc6a8287877f1ae.jpg

29 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

- are you using the internal NIC or a confirmed compatible PCIe NIC? Internal NIC doesn’t have the necessary driver included in redpill

Yes its an PCIe NIC from Intel, its should be an INTEL E1G44ET PRO/1000 ET QUAD PORT PCI-E SERVER NIC

29 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

did you edit the grub.cfg of the image to include your own SN, VID/PID and the MAC address(es) of your NIC(s)?

yes, i add my VID/PID etc.

Edited by altas

50 минут назад, haydibe сказал:

Sure, lets assume I add the unmodified kernel sources, and you provide the commands required to inject those in an image created by redpill-load, it can be done. Contribute the required commands, and I bake them into the Makefile target "auto". 

Though if it's something where I would need to modify the redpill-load sources, then its a hard pass...

not a good idea. I think it will be right to wait for the support of the driver injection from the redpill side

Edited by Amoureux

On 9/4/2021 at 11:24 AM, tocinillo2 said:

Compiled 7.0.1 with last BSP patch and works perfect ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CqqhO-TBdwOff0dH54iP-XPdrhzgvtNR/view?usp=sharing

- Add UEFI support.
- Deleted twice EFI folder.
- Fixed SynoBoot_EFI place.
- Compiled with last BSP Patch for 7.0.1.
- Insmod efi_gop into EFI.
- Tested with Baremetal and works fine (Astock 3455-ITX).
- After installation (the reboot process can take 15-20 minutes) you have to install File Station manually: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download/DS918+#system (select DSM 7.0), find and download File Station SPK and install it in Package Center.

Awesome. Same board as (one of) mine. :D
Looks like I've got some catching up to do (as I've been taking a break).

Does it run OK?