XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

3 hours ago, Franks4fingers said:

I have checked and re-checked, used a different USB key and changed the PID / VID based on what that reported and it still hits 56% and then bombs out.

When it fails at 56% usually the inetd gets started and you can telnet to the same ip with user root. Then you should check the existence of /dev/synoboot* thats probably your problem

1 hour ago, ressof said:

I tried with that also but I still got this error message

[   43.137930] vmxnet3: version magic '4.4.180+ SMP preempt mod_unload ' should be '4.4.180+ SMP mod_unload '
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/vmxnet3.ko': invalid module format

It looks to me that you didnt copy the .config from the synology source. for apollolake.

1 hour ago, Franks4fingers said:

I used USB Device View from the Xpenology Tool V1.4.2 toolbox.  

image.thumb.png.709546ccced557255357d233ca8c9dd0.png

I also looked in the properties via my Surface and the only difference I see is that the VID there is all upper case......does that make a difference given USB Device View gives it in lower case?

This is my grub.cfg as well that is on the only available partition that Windows can see now the img has been burnt.

On my side : vid=0x11a1 so i put it exactly as being mentioned in the USBDeview.

image is written with rufus.

В 04.09.2021 в 23:36, Drones сказал:

Thank you for your responses!
As an old XPE user, I certainly tried OFS Mount, but it refused to open the image of the new bootloader.
As I later understood, everything turned out to be due to the old version, wired into Xpenology_Tool_V141.
The current version of OFS correctly opened the new bootloader IMG file.
I confirm that it works on AsRock 4105. Everything works well, including hardware transcoding, VMM, Active Backup for Business and QC.
At the moment I only have a problem with face recognition (valid SN & MAC).
Many thanks to the community for DSM7!

Friends, hello! The run out with a loader from tocinillo2 is already about 5 days. Everything works fine. Surprisingly, facial recognition has started to work. No changes were made. Asrock 4105, 3 HDD, 1 SSD, Build-in SATA ports, 16Gb RAM.

Face.jpg

System.jpg

Edited by Drones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I've built my modules.

Now I've edited the config.json to look like:

"extra": {
    "compress_rd": false,
    "ramdisk_copy": {
      "@@@EXT@@@/rp-lkm/libphy-v3.10.108.ko": "usr/lib/modules/libphy.ko",
      "@@@EXT@@@/rp-lkm/tg3-v3.10.108.ko": "usr/lib/modules/tg3.ko",

I can verify the files are there.

But where do I put the line that says something like:

insmod /usr/lib/modules/libphy.ko

insmod /usr/lib/modules/tg3.ko

3 minutes ago, MastaG said:

So I've built my modules.

Now I've edited the config.json to look like:

"extra": {
    "compress_rd": false,
    "ramdisk_copy": {
      "@@@EXT@@@/rp-lkm/libphy-v3.10.108.ko": "usr/lib/modules/libphy.ko",
      "@@@EXT@@@/rp-lkm/tg3-v3.10.108.ko": "usr/lib/modules/tg3.ko",

I can verify the files are there.

But where do I put the line that says something like:

insmod /usr/lib/modules/libphy.ko

insmod /usr/lib/modules/tg3.ko

1. extract rd.gz in xxx.img

2. put *.ko to /lib/modules

3. edit linuxrc.syno.impl to insmod your modules

4. repack rd.gz

5. put NEW rd.gz to xxx.img

10 minutes ago, s2k7 said:

1. extract rd.gz in xxx.img

2. put *.ko to /lib/modules

3. edit linuxrc.syno.impl to insmod your modules

4. repack rd.gz

5. put NEW rd.gz to xxx.img

Thanks my friend,

It seems rd.gz is packed using lzma compression.

7z x rd.gz 

7-Zip [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21
p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=nl_NL.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,48 CPUs AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor  (830F10),ASM,AES-NI)

Scanning the drive for archives:
1 file, 5454480 bytes (5327 KiB)

Extracting archive: rd.gz
WARNING:
rd.gz
Can not open the file as [gzip] archive
The file is open as [lzma] archive

--
Path = rd.gz
Open WARNING: Can not open the file as [gzip] archive
Type = lzma

ERROR: There are some data after the end of the payload data : rd

Sub items Errors: 1

Archives with Errors: 1

[mastag@AMD3960X t]$ ls
rd  rd.gz
[mastag@AMD3960X t]$ file rd
rd: ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC)

When using 7z to extract it, I'll give me a cpio archive called "rd".

Any tips on how to proceed here?

3 hours ago, dogbig said:

Faces cannot be enabled
Are any files missing?
Error message log
----------------------------------------------- ---
2021-09-09T00:41:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-bin-team-library-tool[21102]: /source/synofoto/src/lib/io/channel.cpp:79 channel[/run/synofoto/task-center.socket] construct failed: connect: No such file or directory
2021-09-09T00:41:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-bin-team-library-tool[21102]: /source/synofoto/src/lib/io/channel.cpp:79 channel[/run/synofoto/check-center.socket] construct failed: connect: No such file or directory
2021-09-09T00:41:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-bin-team-library-tool[21102]: /source/synofoto/src/lib/io/channel.cpp:79 channel[/run/synofoto/notify-center.socket] construct failed: connect: No such file or directory
2021-09-09T00:41:50+08:00 ds918 synosharingurl[21246]: synosharingurl.cpp:241 (21246) Failed [strHost.empty()], err=Success
2021-09-09T00:47:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-face-extraction[21201]: json_utils.cpp:147 Failed to parse json file [/tmp/VideoStation/enabled]
2021-09-09T00:47:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-face-extraction[21201]: /source/synophoto-plugin-face/src/face_plugin/lib/face_detection.cpp:214 Error: (face plugin) load network failed
2021-09-09T00:47:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-face-extraction[21201]: uncaught thread task exception /source/synofoto/src/daemon/plugin/plugin_worker.cpp:90 plugin init failed: /var/packages/SynologyPhotos/target/usr/lib/libsynophoto-plugin-face.so

----------------------------------------------------------

model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz
Linux ds918 4.4.180+ #42214 SMP Sat Aug 28 02:41:15 CST 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_apollolake_918+

Exactly same error here :(

6 minutes ago, MastaG said:

Thanks my friend,

It seems rd.gz is packed using lzma compression.

7z x rd.gz 

7-Zip [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21
p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=nl_NL.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,48 CPUs AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor  (830F10),ASM,AES-NI)

Scanning the drive for archives:
1 file, 5454480 bytes (5327 KiB)

Extracting archive: rd.gz
WARNING:
rd.gz
Can not open the file as [gzip] archive
The file is open as [lzma] archive

--
Path = rd.gz
Open WARNING: Can not open the file as [gzip] archive
Type = lzma

ERROR: There are some data after the end of the payload data : rd

Archives with Errors: 1

[mastag@AMD3960X t]$ ls
rd  rd.gz
[mastag@AMD3960X t]$ file rd
rd: ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC)

When using 7z to extract it, I'll give me a cpio archive called "rd".

Any tips on how to proceed here?

35 minutes ago, Drones said:

Friends, hello! The run out with a loader from tocinillo2 is already about 5 days. Everything works fine. Surprisingly, facial recognition has started to work. No changes were made. Asrock 4105, 3 HDD, 1 SSD, Build-in SATA ports, 16Gb RAM.

Face.jpg

System.jpg

What serial have you used in the loader? A gxnas generated?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, pocopico said:

When it fails at 56% usually the inetd gets started and you can telnet to the same ip with user root. Then you should check the existence of /dev/synoboot* thats probably your problem

@pocopico - I can telnet to the box and have managed to get in with root.  I will see what I can find.

Edited by Franks4fingers

11 minutes ago, Orphée said:

That didn't work for me.

I believe it's something like this:

mkdir rd
cd rd
xz -dc < ../rd.gz | cpio -idmv
(add drivers)
find . 2>/dev/null | cpio -o -c -R root:root | xz -9 --format=lzma > ../rd.new.gz
cd ../
rm -Rf rd
mv rd.gz rd.old.gz
mv rd.new.gz rd.gz

Still I can't seem to get any network interfaces.

Also the tg3.ko and libphy.ko where not inside the rd.gz archive.. while I did add it to the config.json file...

The iLO VSP console only print up to the point where it says:

[    2.167768] <redpill/uart_swapper.c:428> ### LAST MESSAGE BEFORE SWAP ON "OLD" PORT ttyS1<=>ttyS0

From that point on I'm blind...

2 minutes ago, MastaG said:

That didn't work for me.

I believe it's something like this:

mkdir rd
cd rd
xz -dc < ../rd.gz | cpio -idmv
(add drivers)
find . 2>/dev/null | cpio -o -c -R root:root | xz -9 --format=lzma > ../rd.new.gz
cd ../
rm -Rf rd
mv rd.gz rd.old.gz
mv rd.new.gz rd.gz

Also the tg3.ko and libphy.ko where not inside the rd.gz archive.. while I did add it to the config.json file...

[    2.167768] <redpill/uart_swapper.c:428> ### LAST MESSAGE BEFORE SWAP ON "OLD" PORT ttyS1<=>ttyS0

I

I am no ilo user.  But I guess it is possible to redirect serial out to ilo interface?

21 minutes ago, MastaG said:

You do not need to recreate the whole loader. Just extract the rd, modify it (add the modules to usr/lib/modules, modify linuxrc.syno.impl to load the modules line #285) and repack it. Then copy it to the usb stick in place of the old one.  For EFI its on the second usb stick partition for Legacy is on first partition.

Unfortunately the legacy partition is small and thus there is not enough space for rd.gz 

Edited by pocopico

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

@pocopicoIt looks like I do not have synoboot in the directory structure. Any ideas how I rectify that?

Edited by Franks4fingers

42 minutes ago, pocopico said:

You do not need to recreate the whole loader. Just extract the rd, modify it (add the modules to usr/lib/modules, modify linuxrc.syno.impl to load the modules line #285) and repack it. Then copy it to the usb stick in place of the old one.  For EFI its on the second usb stick partition for Legacy is on first partition.

Unfortunately the legacy partition is small and thus there is not enough space for rd.gz 

Alright I got it to work.

I solved the console problem by switching the virtual console port to COM1 inside the bios setup.

Then I found out, I was modifying rd.gz from the EFI partition... which was wrong, so I modified the one from the fat partition and found out my drivers were there.

Only my libphy.ko would segfault for some reason, I've the vanilla 3.10.108 kernel sources with the browlow config, but I think I did something wrong here.

Using the ones from the tg3.7z archive posted here seems to work though.

I've just loaded the PAT file for 7.0-41222 and it's working so far.

I think a few points that would make life easier for beginners would be:

- Make sure the first partition inside the image is set "active"/"bootable" so it actually boots right after flashing it

- Add some templates/startup-scripts for loading your own kernel modules instead of having the manually hack the ramdisk

- Add some documentation on how to build your own kernel modules, e.g. which kernel sources, config and toolchain you should use for a certain version.

Edited by MastaG
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Franks4fingers said:

The final thing I have done with this is to mark the first partition on the USB key as active as I read others had done something similar and it resolved whatever the issue was that they were having.....didn't make a difference for me so far.

That was only for people who's hardware (notably HP Gen8 Microserver) wouldn't boot off the USB stick.