XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

1 minute ago, pocopico said:

It’s only for kernel module compilation. Kernel itself will not build as it relies on unreleased - from Synology - code.

kernel modules were built using the described process. Which modules are you looking to build maybe I can provide. 

Well, I did not try to compile kernel, just modules but many of them - mostly for network cards - all Broadcom modules, Realtek network cards support, also support for wireless USB network cards, modules for UVC video etc... As there are dependencies, perhaps selecting many modules made the compilation useless (despite compilation finished OK). Or I made some mistake... Thanks for your offer, I'll try again and when it fails, I'll ask you later for help, at least with some mostly wanted modules... ;-)

Hello Geniusses, 

I tried also to start investigating how I can upgrade my  DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 bare metal server to 6.2.4 25556 and beyond. (For now I don't want to go to 7.xx)

I did the following:

1. Installed Debian 8.2.2004 in Parallels virtual environment with jq / curl and docker installed,
  2. Downloaded the "redpill-tool-chain_x86_64"  (are there other versions? I downloaded from the link presented in this thread)
  3. chmod 777 to redpill_tool_chain.sh
  4. executed ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-6.2.4-25556 -> Ok
  5. executed ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-6.2.4-25556 -> Can't load the DockerImage (authentication problem to resource) 

• tried to login with my docker.io account but it won't work:

What I noticed is that my /opt/ directory stays empty which is displayed in this video from a guy explaining how to install redpill LKM but it's far from understandable ;-)

Also I don't know if his video is actual.

Anybody has a step by step tutorial? Found it very clear instructions.

Edited by hannibal1969

11 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Just migrated to 7.0.1-RC1 on my baremetal HP Gen8 Microserver with NC360T NIC. The upgrade/migration went very smoothly apart from a similar issue I had going from 6.2.3 to 6.2.4 in that the connected NIC went back to DHCP and I had to set it up again with it's static details. Everything seems good so far. Now I wonder if that influxdb docker still crashes it 🤔🤣

Hi@WiteWulf. Would you have a link to the .img file you used for the Hp Gen8 Microserver with a Intel NIC? I have a similar spare system and would like to try out the 6.2.4 before going to 7.0.1

It’s only for kernel module compilation. Kernel itself will not build as it relies on unreleased - from Synology - code.

kernel modules were built using the described process. Which modules are you looking to build maybe I can provide. 
vmxnet3 for DS918+, 7.0.1 wanted.
Thanks.

Tapatalk を使用して私の ELS-NX9 から送信

1 hour ago, hannibal1969 said:

Hello Geniusses, 

I tried also to start investigating how I can upgrade my  DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 bare metal server to 6.2.4 25556 and beyond. (For now I don't want to go to 7.xx)

I did the following:

1. Installed Debian 8.2.2004 in Parallels virtual environment with jq / curl and docker installed,
  2. Downloaded the "redpill-tool-chain_x86_64"  (are there other versions? I downloaded from the link presented in this thread)
  3. chmod 777 to redpill_tool_chain.sh
  4. executed ./redpill_tool_chain.sh build apollolake-6.2.4-25556 -> Ok
  5. executed ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-6.2.4-25556 -> Can't load the DockerImage (authentication problem to resource) 

Trying to pull docker.io/library/redpill-tool-chain:apollolake-6.2.4-25556... Error: Error initializing source docker://redpill-tool-chain:apollolake-6.2.4-25556: Error reading manifest apollolake-6.2.4-25556 in docker.io/library/redpill-tool-chain: errors: denied: requested access to the resource is denied unauthorized: authentication required

• tried to login with my docker.io account but it won't work:

docker login --username ... --password ... --tls-verify docker.io

What I noticed is that my /opt/ directory stays empty which is displayed in this video from a guy explaining how to install redpill LKM but it's far from understandable ;-)

Also I don't know if his video is actual. Anybody has a step by step tutorial?

executed sudo ./redpill_tool_chain.sh auto apollolake-6.2.4-25556 ->

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 7:45 PM, Amoureux said:

Thanks @ThorGroup for RedPill, and @haydibe for simple way to create image for bootloader with Docker.

A little instruction how to use last version toolchain in macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 :

1. Install Xcode, Xcode command line tools, and Docker on Mac. Run Docker. Download last version toolchain, moved to Desktop and unzip.

2.  Install HomeBrew in Terminal

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, D.S said:

No driver for 10G Lan Card yet and the old patch for nvme isn't work anymore, both have to wait for update. I have the same issue as well.

Can i install the 10G lancard‘s driver myself? i found the linux driver on intel’s website.

I am still plagued with the issue of hitting 56% and then the install bombing out with the error message of:

Failed to Install DSM.

Failed to install the file.  The file is probably corrupted.

I have tried a different USB key and changed over the PID and VID accordingly to see if that made a difference but no joy. 

Does it make a difference if I choose UEFI boot or Legacy Boot within the BIOS?

Are there any other specific BIOS settings that could be causing the continual failure and could be worth changing? 

When I now try the install it comes up with my original NAS being migratable which I presume is due to finding a partial install from the failures at 55%.  This particular desktop machine that I am using as a test bed doesn't have anything installed already so I am trying to do a brand new clean install using the DSM 7.01RC from the Synology DL Center. I will wipe the partition on the HDD so it looks like a new disk and try again.

Any pointers would be appreciated as this is doing my melon in.

Cheers

4 hours ago, MastaG said:

Yeah that's what I meant as well.

I can compile the generic kernel release just fine as long as I use their toolchain.

However they should release their patched version of the kernel at some point right?

Because the license says so.

'they should' is absolute correct but they don't care much about it for years... They'll do it sometimes but it'll take some (and usually a quite long) time...

54 minutes ago, Franks4fingers said:

I am still plagued with the issue of hitting 56% and then the install bombing out with the error message of:

Failed to Install DSM.

I have tried a different USB key and changed over the PID and VID accordingly to see if that made a difference but no joy. 

Double check the PID / VID in grub.cfg's boot parameters.

20 minutes ago, Franks4fingers said:

I have checked and re-checked, used a different USB key and changed the PID / VID based on what that reported and it still hits 56% and then bombs out.

can you hook a serial out for debug?

and see if /dev/synoboot* is there?

Faces cannot be enabled
Are any files missing?
Error message log
----------------------------------------------- ---
2021-09-09T00:41:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-bin-team-library-tool[21102]: /source/synofoto/src/lib/io/channel.cpp:79 channel[/run/synofoto/task-center.socket] construct failed: connect: No such file or directory
2021-09-09T00:41:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-bin-team-library-tool[21102]: /source/synofoto/src/lib/io/channel.cpp:79 channel[/run/synofoto/check-center.socket] construct failed: connect: No such file or directory
2021-09-09T00:41:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-bin-team-library-tool[21102]: /source/synofoto/src/lib/io/channel.cpp:79 channel[/run/synofoto/notify-center.socket] construct failed: connect: No such file or directory
2021-09-09T00:41:50+08:00 ds918 synosharingurl[21246]: synosharingurl.cpp:241 (21246) Failed [strHost.empty()], err=Success
2021-09-09T00:47:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-face-extraction[21201]: json_utils.cpp:147 Failed to parse json file [/tmp/VideoStation/enabled]
2021-09-09T00:47:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-face-extraction[21201]: /source/synophoto-plugin-face/src/face_plugin/lib/face_detection.cpp:214 Error: (face plugin) load network failed
2021-09-09T00:47:49+08:00 ds918 synofoto-face-extraction[21201]: uncaught thread task exception /source/synofoto/src/daemon/plugin/plugin_worker.cpp:90 plugin init failed: /var/packages/SynologyPhotos/target/usr/lib/libsynophoto-plugin-face.so

----------------------------------------------------------

model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz
Linux ds918 4.4.180+ #42214 SMP Sat Aug 28 02:41:15 CST 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_apollolake_918+

Edited by dogbig

2 hours ago, snowfox said:

Can i install the 10G lancard‘s driver myself? i found the linux driver on intel’s website.

You have to build the driver modules and add to rd.gz, also modify linuxrc.syno.impl (of rd.gz). I tried to add AQC107 10G Lan driver but no luck.

8 hours ago, pocopico said:

well running 

DiskStation> uname -a
Linux DiskStation 4.4.180+ #42214 SMP Sat Aug 28 02:41:15 CST 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_apollolake_918+
DiskStation>

reports kernel version v4.4.180

I compiled vmxnet3 driver with this kernel https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tag/?h=v4.4.180

But when I try to insmod the driver I get this error message

[59697.560776] vmxnet3: version magic '4.4.180 SMP mod_unload ' should be '4.4.180+ SMP mod_unload '
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/vmxnet3.ko': invalid module format

3 hours ago, Franks4fingers said:

Failed to Install DSM.

which app did you use to get them?

can you screen that + provide your grub?

for me, i had also to put hdd as hotplug 

45 minutes ago, ressof said:

[59697.560776] vmxnet3: version magic '4.4.180 SMP mod_unload ' should be '4.4.180+ SMP mod_unload '

I would assume this is related to what redpill-load states in the README.md for DS918+:

echo '+' > .scmversion (otherwise it will error-out loading modules)

41 minutes ago, titoum said:

which app did you use to get them?

can you screen that + provide your grub?

for me, i had also to put hdd as hotplug 

I used USB Device View from the Xpenology Tool V1.4.2 toolbox.  

image.thumb.png.709546ccced557255357d233ca8c9dd0.png

I also looked in the properties via my Surface and the only difference I see is that the VID there is all upper case......does that make a difference given USB Device View gives it in lower case?

image.thumb.png.3b710c457c50be893662fbba31c2a0d9.png

This is my grub.cfg as well that is on the only available partition that Windows can see now the img has been burnt.

# GRUB 2 config file
terminal_output console
if serial --unit=0 --speed=115200; then
    terminal_input --append serial_com0
    terminal_output --append serial_com0
fi

set default="0"
set timeout="5"
set timeout_style="menu"

if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
    load_env --file $prefix/grubenv --skip-sig
    set has_env="1"
    if [ -n "${saved_entry}" ]; then
        set default="${saved_entry}"
    fi
else
    set has_env="0"
    echo "WARN: failed to load env. Default choice will NOT be saved!"
fi

function savedefault {
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env --file $prefix/grubenv saved_entry
}

insmod usb_keyboard
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
insmod fat
insmod linux
insmod gzio

set gfxmode=auto
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod efi_gop

menuentry 'RedPill DS918+ v7.0.1-42214 (USB, Verbose)' {
    savedefault
    set root=(hd0,msdos1)
    echo Loading Linux...
    linux /zImage netif_num=1 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 syno_hdd_detect=0 elevator=elevator root=/dev/md0 loglevel=15 log_buf_len=32M mac1=AAAA1111BBBB vid=0x1e3d pid=0x2095 console=ttyS0,115200n8 DiskIdxMap=00 SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0 sn=1111AAA111111 earlyprintk syno_port_thaw=1 HddHotplug=0 withefi syno_hw_version=DS918+ vender_format_version=2 
    echo Loading initramfs...
    initrd /rd.gz
    echo Starting kernel
}

The final thing I have done with this is to mark the first partition on the USB key as active as I read others had done something similar and it resolved whatever the issue was that they were having.....didn't make a difference for me so far.

This is being installed on a Dell Optiplex 9020 which has an i5-4570 CPU and an Intel NIC onboard NIC.  That is the same hardware as my Prod NAS which is running 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 without issue.

Cheers

Edited by Franks4fingers

27 minutes ago, haydibe said:

I would assume this is related to what redpill-load states in the README.md for DS918+:

I tried with that also but I still got this error message

[   43.137930] vmxnet3: version magic '4.4.180+ SMP preempt mod_unload ' should be '4.4.180+ SMP mod_unload '

6 minutes ago, ressof said:

I tried with that also but I still got this error message

[   43.137930] vmxnet3: version magic '4.4.180+ SMP preempt mod_unload ' should be '4.4.180+ SMP mod_unload '

try this

make CONFIG_VMXNET3=m CROSS_COMPILE=/root/build/apollolake-DSM-7.0-toolchain/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- -C /root/build/apollolake-DSM-7.0-toolkit/build/ M=`pwd` modules

vmxnet3.ko

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2