XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

Well, that's annoying; did they remove the driver again in 6.2.4 and 7.x, I wonder? I'll try pulling the NC360T card out of my Gen8 and booting with a fresh loader stick with the correct MAC address in the config tomorrow when I have chance. I'd like to confirm if the onboard NIC is supported, or if the return to functionality in 6.2.3 was just a blip.

• Thanks 1

Just tried with my Gen10 plus (with Xeon E-2224) and 918+ loader with 7.0.1

• NIC : Only 2 detected (4 set in grub)
    • I use a LAG (802.3ad of 2 nic : Working)
  • Install : No issue at all : It asked for migrating my OLD disk (No production disk has been used)
  • CPU : My Xeon E-2224 is only shown as one core (Same issue has in 6.2.3 with 918+ -> Need 3617xs loader to have all 4 cores used)
  • Info Center : Working
  • Applications :
    • Synology Photo / Drive:
      • Face detection not working 
      • Unable to play a video under File station (Video was uploaded with the backup feature using Synology photo for Android; Not working also on 6.2.3)
      • The rest seems to work fine
    • Surveillance Station : Working with one camera added
    • Active Backup For business : Working well. (backup with esxi 7.0 is working)
    • Plex : Working
    • Docker : Not tested.
  • Face detection Log :
2021-09-07T18:56:23+02:00 NAS synofoto-face-extraction[13956]: json_utils.cpp:147 Failed to parse json file [/tmp/VideoStation/enabled]
2021-09-07T18:56:24+02:00 NAS synofoto-face-extraction[13956]: /source/synophoto-plugin-face/src/face_plugin/lib/face_detection.cpp:214 Error: (face plugin) load network failed
2021-09-07T18:56:24+02:00 NAS synofoto-face-extraction[13956]: uncaught thread task exception /source/synofoto/src/daemon/plugin/plugin_worker.cpp:90 plugin init failed: /var/packages/SynologyPhotos/target/usr/lib/libsynophoto-plugin-face.so
  • /proc/cpuinfo :
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'processor\|name\|cores'
processor       : 0
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2224 CPU @ 3.40GHz
cpu cores       : 1

I revert to my 6.2.3 with 3617xs loader from June. waiting for 3617xs support.

Edited by sebg35
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WiteWulf said:

Well, that's annoying; did they remove the driver again in 6.2.4 and 7.x, I wonder? I'll try pulling the NC360T card out of my Gen8 and booting with a fresh loader stick with the correct MAC address in the config tomorrow when I have chance. I'd like to confirm if the onboard NIC is supported, or if the return to functionality in 6.2.3 was just a blip.

Thanks bro,

That would be great 👍

If you can confirmed the internal NIC isn't supported any longer, then perhaps you can share your card with us.

I guess it's a small price to pay to have the latest DSM working :)

il y a 35 minutes, nemesis122 a dit :

on my gen8 the stick is not  booting 

do you have set the first  partiton for active? with diskpart etc ?

Yes I use Minitool Partition Wizard to make the first partition active, it boots but still have no network with 6.2.4 and 7.0.1

Edited by Kouill
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kouill said:

Yes I use Minitool Partition Wizard to make the first partition active, it boots but still have no network with 6.2.4 and 7.0.1

I had the same problem with my Gen8: wouldn't boot off the redpill stick until I marked the first partition active.

It's interesting to hear you're also seeing no NIC with 6.2.4 or 7.0.1. Are you trying to use the onboard NICs? If so it definitely sounds like they left out the drivers again after 6.2.3

I'm running 6.2.4 with an HP NC360T pcie dual-nic and it's working fine.

32 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

It's interesting to hear you're also seeing no NIC with 6.2.4 or 7.0.1. Are you trying to use the onboard NICs? If so it definitely sounds like they left out the drivers again after 6.2.3

Don't confuse native drivers, Jun's added drivers and the PCIe issues in 6.2.2.

Most of the NIC drivers in DS918+ and DS36nnxs are loaded as part of Jun's loader.  Those largely broke with 6.2.2 because of a malformed kernel signature affecting PCIe devices, which ostensibly was a mistake on Synology's part.  This was fixed in 6.2.3 when they set the kernel signatures back to "normal."

If you are testing redpill, you are limited to the drivers that are actually in the DSM image you are using, unless you compile and add some yourself.

• Like 2

Ah, so the drivers were never actually in the Synology firmware image at all, then, they were part of Jun's image? I installed the NC360T pcie card as, at the time, it was the only way to retain networking and upgrade to 6.2.2, but it was strongly suggested at the time that this situation would persist after 6.2.2. It all makes more sense when you put it like that.

With drivers for the Gen8 onboard NICs never part of the Synology image it makes sense that they're not seen by 6.2.4 or later, and that Gen8 users wanting to remain on baremetal will need to add a PCIe NIC to their system.

6 hours ago, haydibe said:

I assume you created the redpill-load config for geiminilake yourself?

Ya, I use RedPill_Tool_Chain_v0.7.2 of haydibe

I try build img from ds.geminilake-7.0.dev.txz but error

Edit global_config.json & create geminilake_user_config.json.

Can you help me!

geminilake_user_config.json

global_config.json

Edited by hoangminh88

build r8125-9.006.04 by DSM 7.0.0 Tool Chains/Intel x86 Linux 4.4.180 (GeminiLake)/geminilake-gcc750_glibc226_x86_64-GPL.txz

but i add "insmod /usr/lib/modules/r8125.ko" at "linuxrc.syno.impl",the NAS (J4125 4*8125B)net don't work...

How can I configure the network card to take effect,thanks

r8125.zip

19 hours ago, shibby said:

I tested fresh install 7.0.1 with redpill on my bare metal - it works. Now i wanted to migrate from 6.2.3 to 7.0.1. What kind of steps should i do? I turn off xpenology, replace flashdrive from jun`s loader to redpill and power on. Result is: i see nothing in synology assistant. I thought i will see my NAS with status "migrate" or something.

any suggestion?

Do you have the link for the .pat file that you used for the fresh install?

Where is your redpill-load config for geminilake ? You were correctly pointed out on what you need to be done and why your setup is not working, editing global_config.json and creating geminilake_user_config.json is not enough.

3 hours ago, hoangminh88 said:

Ya, I use RedPill_Tool_Chain_v0.7.2 of haydibe

I try build img from ds.geminilake-7.0.dev.txz but error

Edit global_config.json & create geminilake_user_config.json.

Can you help me!

geminilake_user_config.json 164 B · 6 downloads

global_config.json 6.73 kB · 6 downloads

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I have upgraded my ds3615xs on Proxmox to DSM 7.0.1 with Redpill.

Everything is working fine, only have noticed in the dmesg that the line:

Loading kernel module for a network device with CAP_SYS_MODULE (deprecated).  Use CAP_NET_ADMIN and alias netdev- instead.

Is constantly repeating.

The NIC is set as Virtio.

Anyone have this behavior too?

4 hours ago, hoangminh88 said:

Can you help me!

The real work needs to be done in redpill-load. 

The toolchain builder realy is just a convinent way to provide the required tool chain to build redpill-lkm and run redpill-load. It does nothing by its own. 

You just created "profiles" that instruct the toolchain builder to build a specific toolchain. In order to build a bootloader for a not yet supported platform, you will still need to write a config in redpill-load. No redpill-load config == not possible to create a bootloader image.

On 9/5/2021 at 5:41 PM, haydibe said:

Thought about it, but it's a rather expensive operation because no build would be able to leverage any sort of build cache. I am not sure how I feel about that :)

Update: I hear you. Now there is a setting in `global_settings.json` that allows to enable auto clean, which does what you asked for. It is set to "false" by default and needs to set to "true" in order to be enabled.

redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.7.2.zip 7.88 kB · 233 downloads

How can I solve this problem?

ub1.jpg

48 minutes ago, titoum said:

for  those that have mode their 6.x version to 7.0.1 RC.

have you done a clean or kept everything? i have mainly plex installed and saved it with hyperbackup so wondering if wouldnt be better to clean all and just keep files.

update and preserve setting is fine