XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

12 minutes ago, FiberInternetUser said:

Used this DSM 7.0.1 alpha bootloader to install DSM 7.0.1-42214 on a spare box using an Asrock J3455-itx motherboard. DSM 7.0.1-42214 manually installed from download.  4 (1 tb) hard drives, onboard NIC and extra NIC recognized.  Did not need to manually install File Station.  Installed/testing Plex Media Server (Beta), Emby Server (DSM7.0), Hyper Backup, Synology Photos and Audio Station.  When performing a reboot, it takes about 10 minutes for the server to come back up.

Do we have same for DS3615 ??  

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:24 PM, tocinillo2 said:

Compiled 7.0.1 with last BSP patch and works perfect ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CqqhO-TBdwOff0dH54iP-XPdrhzgvtNR/view?usp=sharing

- Add UEFI support.
- Deleted twice EFI folder.
- Fixed SynoBoot_EFI place.
- Compiled with last BSP Patch for 7.0.1.
- Insmod efi_gop into EFI.
- Tested with Baremetal and works fine (Astock 3455-ITX).
- After installation (the reboot process can take 15-20 minutes) you have to install File Station manually: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download/DS918+#system (select DSM 7.0), find and download File Station SPK and install it in Package Center.

1RZ3yro.jpg

Can you clarify the following please when mounting this img using osfmount........

Is it only the first partition that contains the appropriate grub.cfg file that needs to be adjusted to match PID / VID / SN / MAC and that the location for the grub file is \boot\grub?

Or is there another file located elsewhere that I need to enter this detail into?

Cheers

20 minutes ago, Franks4fingers said:

Can you clarify the following please when mounting this img using osfmount........

Is it only the first partition that contains the appropriate grub.cfg file that needs to be adjusted to match PID / VID / SN / MAC and that the location for the grub file is \boot\grub?

Or is there another file located elsewhere that I need to enter this detail into?

Cheers

yes,the first partition that contains the appropriate grub.cfg file

• Like 1

9 hours ago, haydibe said:

But, you did notice the v4 at then end, didn't you? Xeon E3-12xx v3 and newer should be compatible. I am running it without any problems on a E3-1275 v5. E3-12xx v2 and older are not compatible.  

So in my case, software for DS918+ should work on my CPU. That would be great (I've working set of SN and MAC) :)

Did you check /var/log/messages? I've got a lot logs like:

kernel: DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 3

kernel: DMAR: [DMA Read] Request device [some numbers] fault addr some address...

I can't remember exactly but if it can be helpful I can build loader again and check.

48 minutes ago, titoum said:

is there a way to get the info when it fails at 56% ?

all is going smooth until the installation start and stop at that steps :s

Usually when the install fails, you get the chance to telnet with user root to the system and check a few known things. One is the existence of /dev/synoboot device that actually proves that you have successfully shim the usb. If not which I think is the case, check with the following command the VID/PID

# cat /proc/cmdline 

and that you have selected USB boot for physical/qemu or SATA for VMware during boot time. The default is set to USB

Edited by pocopico

7 hours ago, Franks4fingers said:

Can I ask a quick q on this please.  What OS were you using to craft the image in the first place and get your loader operating successfully? I have a spare Optiplex 9020 that I am thinking to re-purpose for this instead of using my windows based surface.

I built the tool chain, created the image and flashed it to USB stick on macOS, but as it’s all actually built inside a docker container that’s not all that relevant. If you’re interested in doing the same, Amoureux wrote a simple guide for the docker/tool chain/image part on macOS, just search through this thread and make sure you get the latest version of haydibe’s tool chain (0.7.2 at this point, I think), not the one Amoureux links to. 

26 minutes ago, shibby said:

re-check VID/PID in grub.cfg.

i had this issue many time until i realize that i set vid as pid and pid as vid 🤫 when i seted correct values then instalation goes well.

i checked them couple of time they were correct...except that vendor id and pid where switched :(

installation goes through so i will see if it goes to the end and then align my docker to avoid this later one.

regarding the double folder for efi/efi. is there a fix to apply or change to avoid doing it every build ?

11 minutes ago, mcdull said:

I remembered there is a post in this thread shared a link to fix this.. the link is a script to replace some files?...

What kind of problem is fixed by this parameters?

edit: I've got it :)

Edited by abesus

@pocopico Joining you in the ranks of the mighty HP Gen7, compiled 3615xs 7.01 from latest lkm/loader pair using syno toolkit.

Have booted/installed on a blank hard drive. Rebooted and crashed deliberately a few times, still ok.

In the process of installing some software and will continue testing, as per other posts here the Info Centre in Control Panel contains no detail in the General section.

Previous install of 6.2.4 from earlier lkm/loader (see post Aug 1st) has been in use 24/7 until now. 😀

I tested fresh install 7.0.1 with redpill on my bare metal - it works. Now i wanted to migrate from 6.2.3 to 7.0.1. What kind of steps should i do? I turn off xpenology, replace flashdrive from jun`s loader to redpill and power on. Result is: i see nothing in synology assistant. I thought i will see my NAS with status "migrate" or something.

any suggestion?