XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

1 hour ago, pocopico said:

Like i said i have compiled it and verified that the vmxnet driver works on DSM7.0/7.01

You should though put it in your loader /usr/lib/modules and modify linuxrc.syno.impl (of rd.gz) so it will be loaded during boot time. Best line number to add insmod /lib/modules/XXX.ko is 285

vmxnet3.7z 200.23 kB · 7 downloads

Could be useful to add driver via config.json on script to build lkm first and loader after.

• Like 1

So with telnet I did :

insmod /usr/lib/modules/vmxnet3.ko

systemctl restart rc-network

and then I have network...

Don't know what I did wrong but module is not loaded at boot.

Edit : nevermind, it has to be after the "fi" line

not inside...

Edited by Orphée
  • Like 1

@Orphée One problem that is not yet solved or released by @ThorGroup , is that we don’t have a solution for adding the extra modules in one batch like with Jun loader.

I’am assuming though that for most installations, adding few required kernel modules in rd could be possible. You can also start telnetd at boot to help troubleshoot sata port errors or anything that even fails to start installation.

Lines to add in rd.gz on /etc/rc line 321 could be

echo "Starting early telnetd for troubleshooting "
        /sbin/inetd
        if [ `ps -ef |grep -i inetd |grep sbin | wc -l` -eq 1 ] ; then
               echo "Inetd has started succesfully"
       fi

Edited by pocopico

On 8/29/2021 at 10:52 AM, ThorGroup said:
On 8/26/2021 at 2:19 PM, ghtester said:

I have succesfully compiled the image using docker, unfortunately the baremetal devices I can use for testing have just Broadcom ethernet adapters. Is there an easy way to modify the script(s) to get compiled & included tg3 module driver please? Where should I start looking?

Currently - no. We will have a sane method of adding drivers in the future.

@pocopico I think they will implement it at a later stage not during alpha stages.

Edited by gadreel

Okay, I've managed to get my HP Gen8 Microserver to 6.2.4 on baremetal 🥳

I encountered two problems while running the migration:
- the first reboot after reinstalling the 25556 pat it tried to boot off the internal hdd, rather than the USB stick. I seem to recall this being a common problem with firmware updates in the past anyway, and likely isn't unique to this release/boot method. A reboot fixed this and it booted off the USB stick properly and completed the install

- after install the NIC had changed to DHCP, rather than static, for some reason. This was easily changed in the Control Panel in DSM

Thanks for all the hard work and help getting this far!

Now, unfortunately, it's rebooted itself twice since the upgrade completed (in the last ten minutes or so). I'll look into this further and see if I can figure out what the problem is, 

Edited by WiteWulf
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WiteWulf said:

- the first reboot after reinstalling the 25556 pat it tried to boot off the internal hdd, rather than the USB stick. I seem to recall this being a common problem with firmware updates in the past anyway, and likely isn't unique to this release/boot method. A reboot fixed this and it booted off the USB stick properly and completed the install

- after install the NIC had changed to DHCP, rather than static, for some reason. This was easily changed in the Control Panel in DSM

Now, unfortunately, it's rebooted itself twice since the upgrade completed (in the last ten minutes or so). I'll look into this further and see if I can figure out what the problem is, 

Great!,

it would be helpful, create step by step guide from loader to complete migration.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:50 AM, mcdull said:

I have some issue in migrating.

I do have some images with facial recognition when old version in Jun's loader still works. But now it is must not work with DSM7 (I uses AMD cpu) and no GPU at all.

Now the synology photos keep telling me that its trying to migrate from old photos and moments app, and keep waiting the 30000+ photos to complete.

Any suggestions for me?

There is no way

1 minute ago, pocopico said:

I have succesfully booted with a modified loader (DS3615xs) my old and brave ten years old Microserver G7 and installed 7.01. I thought that this would never be possible. I will share the loader for G7 once i have finished all tests.

Thanks i will have to update my G7 too. Did you have to do a lot of mods ? I have an intel nic 360t

8 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Thanks i will have to update my G7 too. Did you have to do a lot of mods ? I have an intel nic 360t

Actually since i have the pci-e occupied with an old SAS hba, i had to use the embedded LAN so i added tg3.ko and added the mptsas drivers which i havent tested yet. Other than that and the usual VID/PID,SN/MAC etc pretty much nothing.

Already though i have tried the face recognition and is not working. 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ilyas said:

Great!,

it would be helpful, create step by step guide from loader to complete migration.

With respect, I'm not going to do that. As pointed out repeatedly elsewhere in this thread, this software/method isn't ready for general release yet and is only suitable for people who can follow the guides and assemble the software for themselves at this point. I've described everything I've done to get this far, or at least referenced and linked to other people's guides, so go and put it together yourself. If you can't figure it out this probably isn't ready for you yet.

I'll be more than happy to do a full write-up when ThorGroup announce a release candidate or full release 👍

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Actually since i have the pci-e occupied with an old SAS hba, i had to use the embedded LAN (tg3.ko) and add the mptsas drivers. Other than that and the usual VID/PID,SN/MAC etc pretty much nothing.

Already though i have tried the face recognition and is not working. 

You made mpt2sas work ?? How ?

Edit : ok not tested yet my bad... curious to see as my tests on esxi are currently ko.

Edited by Orphée

6 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Actually since i have the pci-e occupied with an old SAS hba, i had to use the embedded LAN (tg3.ko) and add the mptsas drivers. Other than that and the usual VID/PID,SN/MAC etc pretty much nothing.

That's great news! Since I got 6.2.4 on my Gen8 today, 7.x is my next step, but I wasn't sure from the posts so far if the transpositioning of sata and sas devices was unique to ESXi installs or affected baremetal, too. This gives me hope 👍

Oh, also meant to mention: regarding the two reboots I had after migrating to 6.2.4, the server has been stable and up for over an hour now with no further reboots. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Edited by WiteWulf
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

Ive successfully built and use loader for 980+. Unfortunatelly, I'm using Xeon E3-1265L V4 and there were many errors in system logs. System was hanging-up every few hours. It looks like DS918+ is using some new CPU/GPU instructions that are missing in my old xeon.

After that I've tried DS3615xs loader. DSM 7.0 is in beta stage so I've tried 6.2.4. Everything is working great except moments. How can I find valid SN/MAC combination for ds3615xs?

Seba

Thank you all, the developers and contributors, especially TTG and haydibe. I want to share the results I have until now.

I have a strange problem with baremetal install on Intel SS4200 (test system, DS3615xs). Only the first hdd is seen by DSM 7, the other 3 not. Is there any know problem with the Intel southbridge ICH7R or did I something wrong? I tried to migrate from Jun 1.03b/DSM 6.2. Maybe I try clean install next weekend.

With a second baremetal (Dell Latitude E6500) there is no problem until now.

46 minutes ago, abesus said:

Ive successfully built and use loader for 980+. Unfortunatelly, I'm using Xeon E3-1265L V4 and there were many errors in system logs. System was hanging-up every few hours. It looks like DS918+ is using some new CPU/GPU instructions that are missing in my old xeon.

After that I've tried DS3615xs loader. DSM 7.0 is in beta stage so I've tried 6.2.4. Everything is working great except moments. How can I find valid SN/MAC combination for ds3615xs?

DS918+ isn't compatible with that CPU. I've got the same CPU in an HP Microserver and can only use the Bromolow images, such as DS3615XS.

You can see what CPU type matches Bromolow and Apollolake (the versions available on xpenology). Ignore the core count and RAM, though, as xpenology will use whatever it's given (although DSM will only report the CPU it's intended for, not what's actually fitted).

1 hour ago, WiteWulf said:

DS918+ isn't compatible with that CPU. I've got the same CPU in an HP Microserver and can only use the Bromolow images, such as DS3615XS.

But, you did notice the v4 at then end, didn't you? Xeon E3-12xx v3 and newer should be compatible. I am running it without any problems on a E3-1275 v5. E3-12xx v2 and older are not compatible.  

Edited by haydibe
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

Can I ask a quick q on this please.  What OS were you using to craft the image in the first place and get your loader operating successfully? I have a spare Optiplex 9020 that I am thinking to re-purpose for this instead of using my windows based surface.

It would be convenient to re-purpose as the Optiplex has the same hardware in it that my actual Prod Xpenology NAS is running as I secured 2 of them when work was relocating. I would be planning to use it as a dual purpose test bed.

Jun's loader worked with no issues on that hardware and the OS comes up as a 918+. From what I have read on the previous 40 pages, and with your success on baremetal, Redpill should function on this.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:24 AM, tocinillo2 said:

Compiled 7.0.1 with last BSP patch and works perfect ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CqqhO-TBdwOff0dH54iP-XPdrhzgvtNR/view?usp=sharing

- Add UEFI support.
- Deleted twice EFI folder.
- Fixed SynoBoot_EFI place.
- Compiled with last BSP Patch for 7.0.1.
- Insmod efi_gop into EFI.
- Tested with Baremetal and works fine (Astock 3455-ITX).
- After installation (the reboot process can take 15-20 minutes) you have to install File Station manually: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download/DS918+#system (select DSM 7.0), find and download File Station SPK and install it in Package Center.

1RZ3yro.jpg

Used this DSM 7.0.1 alpha bootloader to install DSM 7.0.1-42214 on a spare box using an Asrock J3455-itx motherboard. DSM 7.0.1-42214 manually installed from download.  4 (1 tb) hard drives, onboard NIC and extra NIC recognized.  Did not need to manually install File Station.  Installed/testing Plex Media Server (Beta), Emby Server (DSM7.0), Hyper Backup, Synology Photos and Audio Station.  When performing a reboot, it takes about 10 minutes for the server to come back up.

• Like 1