XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

i wanted to give it a try.

so setup:

[CM] Asus P8H77-I
[CPU] Intel Core i3 3225

[NIC] Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port Srvr Adptr Server Adapter PCI-e x4 2x Gigabit Port

loader:

docker script from haydibe in version 7.2

bromollow / DSM 7.0.1

i had a first issue complaining about hard drive error. i had to switch hot plug support in bios and then it went further.

now, i am hitting the 56% error about file being corrupted. i would guess that it is related that i plugged the spare hdd on sata3 instead of 1 ?

vid/pid are correct as same used for jun's loader

leave me still some spare time before official stable release will be available :D

19 hours ago, Rikk said:

Hello to all,

I am trying to test the loader on my current hardware and I am stuck to a stupid step : my system didn't find the USB key to boot on it. With the previous setup (Jun's loader with 3615xs model, 6.2.3 DSM) it was working well.

My hardware is :

Gen8 HP microserver with Xeon E3-1220L CPU update

6Gb of RAM

I am using le last env (redpill-tool-chain_x86_64_v0.7.2) to build the image with MAC OS big sur platform., and docker installed.

Hi Rikk, I can't help, I'm afraid, beyond commenting that I'm in the same situation as you: build runs successfully on macOS Big Sur in Docker, I try booting from the same internal USB port I'm using for my Jun's loader USB stick but the Microserver apparently doesn't see the stick as bootable and tries to netboot.

I've confirmed that the same redpill usb stick successfully boots on other hardware (an old Toshiba R600 laptop).

More details here. It's very odd...

Edited by WiteWulf

1 hour ago, titoum said:

i wanted to give it a try.

so setup:

[CM] Asus P8H77-I
[CPU] Intel Core i3 3225

[NIC] Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port Srvr Adptr Server Adapter PCI-e x4 2x Gigabit Port

loader:

docker script from haydibe in version 7.2

bromollow / DSM 7.0.1

i had a first issue complaining about hard drive error. i had to switch hot plug support in bios and then it went further.

now, i am hitting the 56% error about file being corrupted. i would guess that it is related that i plugged the spare hdd on sata3 instead of 1 ?

vid/pid are correct as same used for jun's loader

leave me still some spare time before official stable release will be available :D

mount img and check is there have folder efi/efi/boot/ with file synobootloader.conf

change /efi/efi/boot/->/efi/boot/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sanyi65 said:

My system didn't boot from the USB key. I set the USB first partition active (with Minitool Partition Wizard) and then I could boot.

That worked perfectly! Feel stupid now for missing something so simple. @Rikk this should work for you, too.

Now attempting to install 6.2.4 baremetal...

*edit*

Failed "file is probably corrupted", so I need to check vid/pid, etc. At least I can get it to boot now.

Edited by WiteWulf

57 minutes ago, jumkey said:

mount img and check is there have folder efi/efi/boot/ with file synobootloader.conf

change /efi/efi/boot/->/efi/boot/

that is so weird !

G:\EFI\EFI\boot then

• SynoBootLoader.conf
  • SynoBootLoader.efi

G:\EFI\BOOT then

• BOOTX64.EFI

Do i just merge all into the eif/boot ?

Edited by titoum

21 hours ago, Rikk said:

Hello to all,

I am trying to test the loader on my current hardware and I am stuck to a stupid step : my system didn't find the USB key to boot on it. With the previous setup (Jun's loader with 3615xs model, 6.2.3 DSM) it was working well.

My hardware is :

Gen8 HP microserver with Xeon E3-1220L CPU update

The image is written on USB key with BalenaEtcher

Did I am missing something ?

Help will be appreciate.

Thanks !

Rikk

Check if you have first partition marked as Active on your USB key (or set it directly).

I have imaged the USB key with balenaEtcher as well but the first partition was NOT active and therefore on some computers it could not boot (may depend on BIOS type).

For instance you may do it on Windows machine with attached USB Key:

C:\>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.17763.1

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: Workstation

DISKPART> sel disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          243 GB  1024 KB
* Disk 1    Online         7488 MB  7360 MB

DISKPART> list part

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary             48 MB  1024 KB
  Partition 2    Primary             75 MB    49 MB
  Partition 3    Primary           4096 KB   124 MB

DISKPART> sel part 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> active

DiskPart marked the current partition as active.

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

2 hours ago, snowfox said:

Hi,

how i add the 10G card and nvme SSD?  in my Asrock J5005-ITX boot with 7.0.1 ,it can't find intel 10G network card and NVME SSD

No driver for 10G Lan Card yet and the old patch for nvme isn't work anymore, both have to wait for update. I have the same issue as well.

3 minutes ago, Orphée said:

I may be wrong but not available yet for DSM7.

Yes, but could be a occasion to add openvmtools into spksrc framework for DSM7 
spksrc is a framework to simplify the porting process of linux packages into DSM environment, there is already a github repos for spksrc and opnevmtools for synology, adding both we could have a new package for dsm7 

1 hour ago, Orphée said:

vmxnet3 driver for DSM7 would be cool :)

Like i said i have compiled it and verified that the vmxnet driver works on DSM7.0/7.01

You should though put it in your loader /usr/lib/modules and modify linuxrc.syno.impl (of rd.gz) so it will be loaded during boot time. Best line number to add insmod /lib/modules/XXX.ko is 285

vmxnet3.7z

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Like i said i have compiled it and verified that the vmxnet driver works on DSM7.0/7.01

You should though put it in your loader /usr/lib/modules and modify linuxrc.syno.impl so it will be loaded during boot time. Best line number to add insmod /lib/modules/XXX.ko is 285

vmxnet3.7z 200.23 kB · 2 downloads

Ho do you manage rd.gz file ?

do you just untar it with 7z and build a new gzip file ? as the original is cpio ...

Thanks

Edit : nevermind

Edited by Orphée

38 minutes ago, pocopico said:

You should though put it in your loader /usr/lib/modules and modify linuxrc.syno.impl (of rd.gz) so it will be loaded during boot time. Best line number to add insmod /lib/modules/XXX.ko is 285

vmxnet3.7z 200.23 kB · 4 downloads

How did u build?

Tried with no success.

3 minutes ago, Orphée said:

Ho do you manage rd.gz file ?

do you just untar it with 7z and build a new gzip file ? as the original is cpio ...

Thanks

To extract : 

mkdir rd

cd rd

cat ../rd.gz | cpio -idm

To repack the rd, in rd directory :

find | cpio -o -H newc > ../rd.gz.new

23 minutes ago, s2k7 said:

How did u build?

Tried with no success.

Not very difficult .. 

In order to compile your modules for 3.10.108 download standard kernel sources :

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/snapshot/linux-3.10.108.tar.gz

or just clone latest stable and 

# git checkout v3.10.108

copy the .config from the bromolow/apollolake sources to the folder you have the kernel sources that you downloaded, make menuconfig and select the modules you want to compile and the end run make modules.

Pay attention to the module dependencies (run modinfo xxx.ko ) as you might need modules to be loaded before that. e.g. module tg3.ko (tigon) depends on libphy.ko, so you need to first load libphy.ko and then tg3.ko. Not all modules have dependencies, but some do.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Not very difficult .. 

In order to compile your modules for 3.10.108 download standard kernel sources :

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/snapshot/linux-3.10.108.tar.gz

or just clone latest stable and 

# git checkout v3.10.108

copy the .config from the bromolow/apollolake sources to the folder you have the kernel sources that you downloaded, make menuconfig and select the modules you want to compile and the end run make modules.

Pay attention to the module dependencies (run modinfo xxx.ko ) as you might need modules to be loaded before that. e.g. module tg3.ko (tigon) depends on libphy.ko, so you need to first load libphy.ko and then tg3.ko. Not all modules have dependencies, but some do.

I added the vmxnet3.ko in /usr/lib/modules

added in line 285 insmod /lib/modules/vmxnet3.ko

But it does not seems to add it...

Not loaded

No network access

if I do after with telnet :

insmod /usr/lib/modules/vmxnet3.ko :

# insmod vmxnet3.ko  
[  379.994870] VMware vmxnet3 virtual NIC driver - version 1.1.30.0-k-NAPI
[  379.996016] vmxnet3 0000:03:00.0: # of Tx queues : 2, # of Rx queues : 2
[  379.997886] vmxnet3 0000:03:00.0: irq 74 for MSI/MSI-X
[  379.998765] vmxnet3 0000:03:00.0: irq 75 for MSI/MSI-X
[  379.999805] vmxnet3 0000:03:00.0: irq 76 for MSI/MSI-X
[  380.001417] vmxnet3 0000:03:00.0 eth0: NIC Link is Up 10000 Mbps

but can't activate dhcp

# dhclient eth0
[  439.463738] type=1400 audit(1630939202.680:8): apparmor="DENIED" operation="mknod" parent=13865 profile="/usr/sbin/dhclient" name="/var/db/dhclient.leases" pid=13866 comm="dhclient" requested_mask="c" denied_mask="c" fsuid=0 ouid=0
[  439.467297] type=1400 audit(1630939202.684:9): apparmor="DENIED" operation="exec" parent=13866 profile="/usr/sbin/dhclient" name="/etc/dhclient/dhclient-script" pid=13867 comm="dhclient" requested_mask="x" denied_mask="x" fsuid=0 ouid=0