XPEnology Community

RedPill - the new loader for 6.2.4 - Discussion

If it was not clear what jumkey said, if you look into red-pill loader repo you will find inside the config folder that bsp file.

Currently the bsp file for 7.0.1 is not there. Either ThorGroup has to update the repo or build it yourself if you know how to...

As Jumkey mentioned in his post, everything it's in the ThorGroup repos how to do all that. 

Edited by gadreel

22 hours ago, jarugut said:

I'm creating a new bootloader for DS3615 6.2.4 with the last github content, for my sorprise I've received the following error.

image.thumb.png.c3fffb0f7bfceaba118481a4f56698e1.png

It seems like in the config.json file is configured to apply different patch but the original file not exist anymore.

Is this correct? I can copy  the original file from other old copy from my computer but I prefer to ask before do it!

Hi after copy the patches files on the correct folders inside the last github repo and execute the original procedure to generate the bootloader I've received the following error.

Somebody do you knows the possible reason?

image.thumb.png.68faef73a4b26301790fd46a94a631df.png

Okay, I managed to telnet into baremetal, notice that my SATA Controller is able to detect by RedPill.

The stuck at error 55% is due to there is no /dev/synoboot2. Anyone face this problem before? 

Sep  2 03:20:05 updater: util/updater_util.cpp:86 fail to read company in /tmpRoot//etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

Sep  2 03:20:05 updater: updater.c:7029 ==== Start flash update ====

Sep  2 03:20:05 updater: updater.c:7033 This is X86 platform

Sep  2 03:20:05 updater: boot/boot_lock.c(228): failed to mount boot device /dev/synoboot2 /tmp/bootmnt (errno:2)

Sep  2 03:20:05 updater: updater.c:6494 Failed to mount boot partition

Sep  2 03:20:05 updater: updater.c:3118 No need to reset reason for v.41890

Sep  2 03:20:05 updater: updater.c:7636 Failed to accomplish the update! (errno = 21)

Sep  2 03:20:05 install.cgi: ninstaller.c:1546 Executing [/tmpData/upd@te/updater -v /tmpData > /dev/null 2>&1] error[21]

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: ninstaller.c:123 Mount partion /dev/md0 /tmpRoot

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: ninstaller.c:1515 Moving updater for configuration upgrade...cmd=[/bin/mv -f /tmpData/upd@te/updater /tmpRoot/.updater > /dev/null 2>&1]

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: ninstaller.c:152 umount partition /tmpRoot

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: ErrFHOSTCleanPatchDirFile: After updating /tmpData/upd@te...cmd=[/bin/rm -rf /tmpData/upd@te > /dev/null 2>&1]

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: ErrFHOSTCleanPatchDirFile: Remove /tmpData/upd@te.pat...

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: ErrFHOSTDoUpgrade(1794): child process failed, retv=-21

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: ninstaller.c:1811(ErrFHOSTDoUpgrade) err=[-1]

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: ninstaller.c:1815(ErrFHOSTDoUpgrade) retv=[-21]

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: install.c:409 Upgrade by the manual patch fail.

Sep  2 03:20:07 install.cgi: install.c:678 Upgrade by the uploaded patch /tmpData/@autoupdate/upload.pat fail.

Jan  1 00:00:00 install.cgi: ninstaller.c:152 umount partition /tmpData

Jan  1 00:00:02 getty[6612]: tcgetattr: Input/output error^M

Jan  1 00:00:10 login[6617]: root login on 'pts/0'

Jan  1 00:00:12 getty[6627]: tcgetattr: Input/output error^M

Jan  1 00:00:22 getty[6629]: tcgetattr: Input/output error^M

Jan  1 00:00:32 getty[6630]: tcgetattr: Input/output error^M

Edited by jforts

On 8/30/2021 at 11:35 PM, Aigor said:

You don't need serial console, but at now you must use intel network card and  Synology assistant to found new uninstalled system.
If you have access on a machine that act as DHCP, you can  view ip address assigned and use them via browser 

Can i use intel i219v to boot the dsm7?

15 minutes ago, gadreel said:

This was happening when the USB was not loaded correctly...

I formatted another USB facing the same result. May I know how to make sure the USB is loaded correctly?

I also notice another error:

Jan  1 00:00:35 raidtool: disk/disk_port_to_container.c:38 Unknown diskType
Jan  1 00:00:35 raidtool: partition_path_enum.c:29 Failed to parsing device: name
Jan  1 00:00:35 raidtool: external/external_disk_port_check.c:158 expected sdx or /dev/sdx, not ram, not match any port type

Is it my USB does not mapped??

11 minutes ago, jforts said:

I formatted another USB facing the same result. May I know how to make sure the USB is loaded correctly?

I also notice another error:

Jan  1 00:00:35 raidtool: partition_path_enum.c:29 Failed to parsing device: name
Jan  1 00:00:35 raidtool: external/external_disk_port_check.c:158 expected sdx or /dev/sdx, not ram, not match any port type

Is it my USB does not mapped??

I am not sure to be honest. All I can tell you is that from previous posts when /dev/synoboot2 was not present in the OS it meant that the USB was not mounted.

Are you 100% you used the correct PID and VID for your flash drive? Did you use Haydibe's docker container to create the bootloader image?

Edited by gadreel

On 8/26/2021 at 9:47 PM, tocinillo2 said:

Tested and works fine with Asrock J3455-ITX (realtek nic ethernet) baremetal. 

Now my only problem is make it working for J4105M (only support efi boot, not legacy). 

EFI or Legacy boot mode?    My 3455-ITX can not be found after Legacy boot.

19 minutes ago, gadreel said:

I am not sure to be honest. All I can tell you is that from previous posts when /dev/synoboot2 was not present in the OS it meant that the USB was not mounted.

Are you 100% you used the correct PID and VID for your flash drive? Did you use Haydibe's docker container to create the bootloader image?

ls /dev, couldn't find any /dev/sdx. All I got is the internal SATA /dev/sda

1st USB it is 100% sure using the correct PID and VID

2nd USB (newly formatted), manually edit the PID and VID during boot command <- will this work?

I am using RedPill official git to generate the loader.

12 minutes ago, jforts said:

2nd USB (newly formatted), manually edit the PID and VID during boot command <- will this work?

No idea. Never read something similar.

12 minutes ago, jforts said:

I am using RedPill official git to generate the loader.

Can you try with Haydibe's docker container and see if you get similar results?

8 hours ago, jhoughten said:

So, I got the UEFI version to boot.  Thanks Jumkey!

I'm getting the "We've detected an error on the hard drives (2), and the SATA ports have also been disabled." error.

I only have 1 SATA port.

Can I fix this with the synoinfo settings?

where is the UEFI version?  tks

8 hours ago, jhoughten said:

So, I got the UEFI version to boot.  Thanks Jumkey!

I'm getting the "We've detected an error on the hard drives (2), and the SATA ports have also been disabled." error.

I only have 1 SATA port.

Can I fix this with the synoinfo settings?

8 hours ago, wahabe said:

DiskIdxMap": "00",
SataPortMap": "1",
SasIdxMap": "0"

I have the same issue with 1 SATA port with EliteBook 840 G2 (PCIe/M2 slot disabled from BIOS, anyway didn't make a difference if enabled).  The mapping didn't help

{

"extra_cmdline": {

"pid": "0x1666",

"vid": "0x0951",

"sn": "XXXXXXXX",

"mac1": "fc3fdb87064f"

},

"synoinfo": {

"DiskIdxMap": "00",

"SataPortMap": "1",

"SasIdxMap": "0"

},

"ramdisk_copy": {}

}

USB drive:

Product ID: 0x1666

Vendor ID: 0x0951  (Kingston Technology Company)

Edited by maxhartung

14 hours ago, jarugut said:

Hi after copy the patches files on the correct folders inside the last github repo and execute the original procedure to generate the bootloader I've received the following error.

Somebody do you knows the possible reason?

image.thumb.png.68faef73a4b26301790fd46a94a631df.png

With the redpill-toolchain is working fine the Boot generation. But I've not able to create the bootloader with the original  procedure of redpill-load of github.

Edited by jarugut

2 hours ago, jhoughten said:

@snowfox

The UEFI version is here:

@maxhartung

Does your EliteBook 840 G2 work with Jun's loader on 6.2.3?

Yes, it does, it works out of the box, without any patches required. Just the PID/VID and is ready to go. There is any documentation regarding how mapping should be done ?

What each of the options means ? Someone stated here that should be inside extra_cmd_line section instead of synoinfo, what is the right way ?

I need 1 controller with 1 or 2 ports.

Edited by maxhartung

Hi folks, I've been sitting and patiently keeping up with this thread since shortly after it started, keenly aware that this is in early development stages, not beta, not intended for use with production data and only for people who know how to compile, test and feedback, etc. 😀

I set up a build environment and successfully compiled everything a week or so ago, but didn't want to test it out yet as the vast majority of talk on here seems to be around virtualised installs, but I'm running bare metal on an HP Gen8 Microserver, upgraded with an Intel Xeon E3-1265L 2.50GHz 4-Core (Ivy Bridge).

Has anyone successfully used RedPill on a baremetal Microserver?

Is RedPill intending to support baremetal, or just virtualisation platforms?

If I need to migrate my install to esxi I'm gonna need a big HDD to back up all my data first 😬

24 минуты назад, WiteWulf сказал:

Has anyone successfully used RedPill on a baremetal Microserver?

Is RedPill intending to support baremetal, or just virtualisation platforms?

I had a successful run on a baremetal device from my signature. I posted the report a few pages ago.

• Thanks 1

The thing about the extra_cmd_line is that it just adds that stuff to the linux /zimage command that starts.

You can actually edit this without rebuilding the image.

When the GRUB screen comes up, you can hit the e key to edit the command.

I added DiskIdxMap=00 SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0 to the end of the command - after syno_port_thaw=1

Then I was able to boot!

And I was able to install DSM7.0.

The command line changes are not saved when you reboot, so you may want to make them permanent and rebuild the image file once everything is working.

The initial reboot after installing DSM did not require them, so, I have not done that yet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Amoureux said:

I had a successful run on a baremetal device from my signature. I posted the report a few pages ago.

Thanks, good to see you're also running macOS. I did my build in debian VMs before, but I'll see if I can get your guide to work on my my Big Sur machine.