XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] XPEnology + ZFS?

tcs2tx

A post on another site led me to the XPEnology site and from here to sources for installing in ESXi. All in all, very cool.

I am currently running an OpenIndiana-based NAS (with a napp-it front end) in ESXi in order to take advantage of the ZFS file system. The one, and only, limitation I see for the Synology is the lack of the ZFS file system.

As I was playing with Synology, it allows me to mount my CIFS shares from the OpenIndiana NAS. Surprisingly, to me at least, the mounted shares can be accessed on my network as if they are physically attached to the Synology.

So, what are the downsides (other than complexity, perhaps) of running Synology as a "front end" for a ZFS-based backend?

Hi and sorry to act like a moron, but why the hell would you still use ZFS?

Yeah, i know, it's amazing.

But still... It's a memory eating cow, and if you don't have ECC memory the whole concept is somehow screwed.

Do as you want, but my opinion, after i tested most of the nas OSes is that overall, the most easiest to use, friendliest, and reliable... bla bla bla is Xpenology (SynoGPL)

PS: Tested = for more than 1 year

I have enough memory (AFAIK, 1 GB of RAM recommended for each TB of ZFS storage + 1 more GB of RAM) and the RAM is also ECC.

Aside from all the bells and whistles, one thing that I love about ZFS is the ability to move my pools of storage from OS to another without having to copy terabytes of data from one file system to another. I've been able to move my pools from BSD to ZFSGuru to FreeNAS to OpenIndiana in just a few minutes.

And, I agree that the Synology interface is that best that I've seen. The only downside that I see is the file system. I would love to move everything, but the underlying filesystem, to Synology.

If you like moving your zpool from OS to OS, maybe you can give a try and also share the results for ZFSonLinux. :mrgreen:

Try to install it on your DiskStation and map the zpool in readonly mode for a start.

Here's the ZFSonLinux page: http://zfsonlinux.org/

Holy crap, Batman! That would be awesome.

I took a look at the site and it looks like it will take someone with many more skills than I possess in order to figure out how to get it installed on XPEnology, but if someone does, I will be the first to try it out!

• 6 months later...

OK, I'm coming back asking questions after a couple of time (one 6 months and just recently) trying to figure out how to install ZFSonLinux. There are a number of different methods of installing ZFSonLinux depending on the flavor of Linux. As I look at the choices, it's not clear to me which one(s) are the correct choice for XPEnology. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I realize I am waking up a dead thread. However, I am a ZFS Enthusiast. I have been strongly considering making ZFSOnLinux to be my next project.

I have been using FreeNAS and NAS4Free for the last 4 years, and nothing have ever compared to the reliability and speed. Synology's UI is (sadly) the best one yet.

I am attempting to do it for my own reasons, mostly educational.

FYI, there have been made contributions to the BTRFS source code by people from Synology, so chances are Synology will incorporate BTRFS.

It will take some time tough.. You best bet may be running FreeNAS/Nas4Free and XPenology on top of it virtualized.